Week 2 2022: Heroes and Goats

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt it, on both counts.

It's here at 10:43. If anything the ball was under thrown. He has to turn, leap and extend to catch it and he's hit a fraction of a second later as he's tucking it. Not sure what more Hollywood can do there. It's the only way he can catch the ball.

I'd argue the window is there to hit him in stride and house it. Or at least catch it in such a way that it's more secure and he can see the safety coming.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler actually reads this well and throws the ball before Brown is fully open. But look at the size of the window he has. Brown really shouldn't have to catch it like he does. The pass was too lofted and slow.

You must be registered for see images attach

And here it is as a GIF. Hollywood rinsed the CB nicely.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beachum game up 1 sack and 4 pressures on 50 passing snaps. Seems ok to me.

Yes but compare it by half. We had far less snaps in the first half but in the first half he gave up a sack, contributed to a grounding call(admittedly Kyler didn't handle the pressure well) and he blew up a couple of run plays too. Second half Crosby wasn't single blocked very often.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler actually reads this well and throws the ball before Brown is fully open. But look at the size of the window he has. Brown really shouldn't have to catch it like he does. The pass was too lofted and slow.

And here it is as a GIF. Hollywood rinsed the CB nicely.

Yeah. Kyler went too safe on that throw which enabled the S to get over to break up the catch. Brown still needs to find a way to come down with those but it was made more difficult by Kyler throwing a conservative ball. Probably because it was 4th and 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. Kyler went too safe on that throw which enabled the S to get over to break up the catch. Brown still needs to find a way to come down with those but it was made more difficult by Kyler throwing a conservative ball. Probably because it was 4th and 1.

Definitely. You can see on that image he's throwing off his back foot too and leaning back, which makes it a high floating ball. Gives the safety all the time in the world to get over.

Not even a tough throw if you look at the size of the window there. Could easily have fired in a normal pass and possibly been a TD and game over.

He's got zero pressure, he can even wait another second and let Brown get further downfield and make it an end zone shot. This is what frustrates me about Kyler.

If this is Herbert what we would see is him looking at AJ Green (who has also beaten his man on the other side) and dragging the deep safety to Green's side and then going to Brown for an easy TD. Game over. That kind of QB play I would praise him for because that's the kind of play he should actually be doing.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Definitely. You can see on that image he's throwing off his back foot too and leaning back, which makes it a high floating ball. Gives the safety all the time in the world to get over.

Not even a tough throw if you look at the size of the window there. Could easily have fired in a normal pass and possibly been a TD and game over.

He's got zero pressure, he can even wait another second and let Brown get further downfield and make it an end zone shot. This is what frustrates me about Kyler.

If this is Herbert what we would see is him looking at AJ Green (who has also beaten his man on the other side) and dragging the deep safety to Green's side and then going to Brown for an easy TD. Game over. That kind of QB play I would praise him for because that's the kind of play he should actually be doing.
Ertz looks wide open in the middle of the field, too. What a play call.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Haha only just noticed. Literally everyone is open with only 1 yard required. I'm guessing that's Dortch on the check down with nobody within 10 yards and 2 yards past the chains.

Looking at this the Brown pass was the right move, just, you know, with an actual good pass.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Murray is very risk adverse.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes but compare it by half. We had far less snaps in the first half but in the first half he gave up a sack, contributed to a grounding call(admittedly Kyler didn't handle the pressure well) and he blew up a couple of run plays too. Second half Crosby wasn't single blocked very often.

The sack was a mixup in the blocking assignment as I saw it, not a head-to-head beating. Beauchum blocked inside for some reason.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

More difficult? He was assassinated by the DB simultaneous with his attempt to fully control the reception.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

so many options here -- and you see K1s pref for bigger plays. Dortch (i think) is there for the easy conversion. Ertz is breaking open in the middle, and Hollywood deep.

it possible K1 threw to Hollywood outside to try to lead him away from the safety, because if he throws it inside down the numbers, he gets Hollywood killed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so many options here -- and you see K1s pref for bigger plays. Dortch (i think) is there for the easy conversion. Ertz is breaking open in the middle, and Hollywood deep.

it possible K1 threw to Hollywood outside to try to lead him away from the safety, because if he throws it inside down the numbers, he gets Hollywood killed.

That's what I think he did. Brown had to turn like he was expecting the ball inside but Kyler threw it outside to lead him away from the safety. There was definitely air under the ball but it's 4th and 1 you don't want to risk overthrowing the guy. The safety made a great play and it's a ball you hope Hollywood hangs on to, D Hop catches that for sure but he's an elite WR.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
That's what I think he did. Brown had to turn like he was expecting the ball inside but Kyler threw it outside to lead him away from the safety. There was definitely air under the ball but it's 4th and 1 you don't want to risk overthrowing the guy. The safety made a great play and it's a ball you hope Hollywood hangs on to, D Hop catches that for sure but he's an elite WR.

Maybe Dhop catches that but I watched it a couple of of times in slow mo and the defender really hit Brown hard (right in the mid-section too) just a second after the ball got there. I just can't fault Hollywood on that play at all.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trent Dilfer disagrees with this last page. Hollywood Brown had no reason to turn around and catch the ball. If he keeps stride and looks the ball in he could protect himself/secure the catch and go down. He did it because he was thinking touchdown instead of just securing the catch. It was clear as day when he turned for the ball and didnt exactly catch it cleanly.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
there was a quick blurb yesterday where Hollywood talked about that play -- he noted that he should have read that the safety was on his hash, and, knowing that would have caught it differently. so much to football.......

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Dhop catches that but I watched it a couple of of time in slow mo and the defender really hit Brown hard (right in the mid-section too) just a second after the ball got there. I just can't fault Hollywood on that play at all.
You just have zero objectivity when it comes to Oklahoma players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray is very risk adverse.

True but this isn't even risky. If anything he's making it more risky with his floaty pass, as it proved.

This should be a fairly basic look off the safety to Green's side, make an easy TD pass to Brown.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I doubt it, on both counts.

It's here at 10:43. If anything the ball was under thrown. He has to turn, leap and extend to catch it and he's hit a fraction of a second later as he's tucking it. Not sure what more Hollywood can do there. It's the only way he can catch the ball.

I'd argue the window is there to hit him in stride and house it. Or at least catch it in such a way that it's more secure and he can see the safety coming.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

of course you do, youre new

so you dont think Brown is gonna want 20 mil a year?? after what Kirk got...last year? Pure foolishness...

the catch,.....Hmmmmmm....

Dhop, Fitz, Jerry, TO, Megatron, Q, Irvin, Reed, would have all caught that just to name a few...
top wide receivers make the catch that has the announcers saying **** like, " I dont know how he held on to that Cotton"
if he cant secure that ball he aint a top WR.

Hollywood is just a lil whiff of a dude...many of the guys I listed are big strong guys.... maybe kyler needs to recognize he is throwing to a slight guy that cant take a hit?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
of course you do, youre new

so you dont think Brown is gonna want 20 mil a year?? after what Kirk got...last year? Pure foolishness...

the catch,.....Hmmmmmm....

Dhop, Fitz, Jerry, TO, Megatron, Q, Irvin, Reed, would have all caught that just to name a few...
top wide receivers make the catch that has the announcers saying **** like, " I dont know how he held on to that Cotton"
if he cant secure that ball he aint a top WR.

Hollywood is just a lil whiff of a dude...many of the guys I listed are big strong guys.... maybe kyler needs to recognize he is throwing to a slight guy that cant take a hit?
Size plays a part of it, but only a part. AJ Green drops balls left and right and he's huge.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The pass was there from Kyler and Hollywood Brown dropped the pass. This is the NFL. Everything is moving at 100 miles per hour with athletes that can make up ground in seconds. He got both hands on the ball, a professional football player is expected to catch that

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kylee did the same thing agsinst the Bears last year on 4th and short. He threw to Hopkins in the end zone who made a spectacular catch, ruled out of bounds and then overturned. What Kyler should have done was dump it to a WIDE OPEN Conner for the easy first down and might have even scored.
Kyler being Kyler. He still has a long way to go to be a “ great” qb.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kylee did the same thing agsinst the Bears last year on 4th and short. He threw to Hopkins in the end zone who made a spectacular catch, ruled out of bounds and then overturned. What Kyler should have done was dump it to a WIDE OPEN Conner for the easy first down and might have even scored.

I'm having trouble reconciling these examples with the claim that Kyler is too conservative and risk-averse. I recall many other examples of Murray throwing a lower-percentage, high-payoff pass and being roundly criticized for not taking the easy dump-off.

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose