Some thoughts on the defense

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Entire defense looked like it was two steps behind because they were processing responsibilities first and not reacting as they would 3-4 games into it. I will say the lack of game speed snaps was a major part in the defense crapping the bed, and KC is a bad matchup out of the gate for anyone. Let’s see next week how it looks. Do we tighten things up or still have large voids in coverage.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not playing any of the starters all preseason showed big time. Hopefully Kliff will see this and not do it again. Vance Joseph has never been a good DC. He should have been fired after his first season. Actually Keim should have never hired him in the first place.

Not having JJ Watt is huge. He’s the only player that brings swagger and attitude. Murray looked rusty as well be that Kliffs fault for not playing him.
FWIW, teams whose quarterbacks didn't play in the preseason went 1-5 when going up against a team whose quarterback played in the preseason with the Broncos yet to play. The lone win was the Ravens versus the Jets.

The first few weeks of the regular season are now used to accomplish what used to be done in the preseason. Adjustments will be made.

For perspective, the Packers were absolutely terrible week one last year and ended up the top seed.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In an NFL where injuries are now the norm, we need an attacking defense that is EASY to learn & easy to plug in rookies and players that we have to pick up in a moments notice. That is NOT Vance’s system. Even when we don‘t have injuries, it seems impossible for rookies to get ANY playing time. That cannot happen. The Chiefs were playing some rookies & rookies are making contributions all over the NFL. And it’s not because of the quality of players that Keim is drafting. It’s because Vance’s system is overly complicated with too much to learn. And the guys that do have the capacity to digest it mentally don’t always have the innate physical ability to make it effective. Keim needs to fire Joseph sooner rather than later. He may have already ruined Simmons & Collins has to be losing his confidence too. The best DC’s are the ones that can quickly implement their system & have their players running full tilt without having to stop and think at every turn.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was our offense through 3 quarters before the Chiefs adjusted their defensive approach?
I posted the stats from ESPN in the gameday thread around the 3rd Q. KM had a 63 rating at the time. Then they were up 37-7 and went into prevent soft zone coverage to eat time. Allowing us the under routes which brought KM's stats up

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
“Sure start?” Maybe a handful of a teams.
His stats last year say otherwise. His stats were nearly identical to Quinnen Williams.

He's no star, but he's a good NFL lineman. The problem is, most teams have at least two DL that are close or better to Allen. If Watt is healthy, the Cardinals have two...but that's a big if.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the plus side Dogbe played well.

I thought Allen, Golden and Gardeck were solid to good. Zaven was solid if unspectacular. I thought Murphy did well, or at least I don't really recall him getting beat on anything.

I was a little disappointed in Thompson and Budda. They led in tackles but all those tackles were 15 yards downfield. I didn't feel like either did anything in coverage or around the box to effect the game.

Simmons, Turner, Vigil, Whitaker, Wilson were awful.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When you give up 37pts that weren’t generated by turnovers with like 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter there’s no way five defenders played solid to good. That whole team got curb-stomped.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His stats last year say otherwise. His stats were nearly identical to Quinnen Williams.

He's no star, but he's a good NFL lineman. The problem is, most teams have at least two DL that are close or better to Allen. If Watt is healthy, the Cardinals have two...but that's a big if.
I think Allen is a solid rotation player. You hope he’s your worst starting defensive lineman and you’ve got a good dline. He’s not the problem but he’s never gonna be an elevator of the defense.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There will be a couple of tryouts for FA washouts, the Keim gang will be acting again like how Keim Time is going to turn this around..lol..who put these defensive turds on the field in the first place to start the season..

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if Vance gets fired that Keim would put Billy Davis in at DC. 2 first round LB's and they are producing almost nothing from them for 2 seasons. Davis needs to go now! How is he still here? He was beyond terrible the first time he was here and Keim brings him back for another go around.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Our DL is made of fringe starters as a whole with no dynamic playmaker to pressure the interior of the OL, next question lol

Reactions: PJ1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if Vance gets fired that Keim would put Billy Davis in at DC. 2 first round LB's and they are producing almost nothing from them for 2 seasons. Davis needs to go now! How is he still here? He was beyond terrible the first time he was here and Keim brings him back for another go around.
Are you a visitor from the future? This is 100% what will happen.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mahomes is just so good at evading a blitz and at the last second zinging an accurate pass to a player down field. Crazy that Vance would blitz so often. Against most QBs the Cardinals walk away with 3+ sacks, but not against Mahomes.

Sure wish we had a quarterback that was so good at that

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure wish we had a quarterback that was so good at that
Pretty sure Kyler's stats against the blitz so far in his career are pretty darn good. Not a perfect passer rating like Mahomes probably had last night, but still good.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Davis & Joseph BOTH need to go. They are both awful!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A certain former board member not that long ago compared Simmons to Scottie Pippen I discovered today. Said the Cards were trying to build their Jordan and Pippen and Simmons was Pippen.

Swing and a miss.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose