NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're smaller but I really don't believe we'll see a significant drop off from last years backup Centers. I could be wrong but I really don't see it. I think we're more versatile than last year which will help make up for the production we got from Javale. So in some games against some opponents where we dominated or had an advantage last year we may not be as strong but against others where we were weaker we'll be better. Ultimately it'll even out. How that bodes for the postseason depends on who we match up with. We won't lose much by losing McGee as he sucked last postseason.
Almost everyone sucked last postseason. Using that metric this entire team is screwed.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked McGee but don’t get carried away.
Carried away how? Name one thing said above not backed up by the Suns record, stats or analysts across the league that was stated above.

Nobody said he was a superstar or anything like it. He improved the defense, their toughness and gave them quality depth that we have not seen in over a decade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair we haven’t seen anything like the team as constructed in over a decade. Point is, McGee was awful and near unplayable in the playoffs. That’s a big problem. I won’t argue he helped our culture and the team get the best record last season. But losing him isn’t a huge drop off. It would be nice if a Crowder replacement could offer some rim protection but you appear to take McGee’s loss harder than it should be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have liked to have kept McGee, but the Suns were not going to pay his asking price.

Defensively, the Suns problems were more about taking something away from Dallas, either the drives to the basket or the open 3-point shot. Often they couldn't decide.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carried away how? Name one thing said above not backed up by the Suns record, stats or analysts across the league that was stated above.

Nobody said he was a superstar or anything like it. He improved the defense, their toughness and gave them quality depth that we have not seen in over a decade.

Our bench as a whole preformed better the year before.

I like McGee, he's a fun guy and makes some exciting plays but you can hardly put him on the court against teams that force bigs to defend outside.

When McGee was on the court last year we gave up 109.4 points per 100 possessions.

The previous year with Saric we gave up 109.5 points per 100 possessions, that bench as a whole torched teams.

Our winning percentage went up largely because we smothered teams in the 4th with our starters contributing virtually all those minutes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh?! McGee was a major reason our defense massively improved. He is a reason we were respected upfront. Almost universally across the league they called the Suns JaVale acquisition a reason we were so deep.

Nobody is saying that now because we got Jock and moved Biyombo into the starting lineup. You can’t be more versatile with less defense.

I don't care what the talking heads say. We had a good defense before McGee and we'll have a good defense without him.

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding starting Biyombo but I never advocated for that. He's Ayton's backup and Jock is a 3rd string guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's really gonna suck is when they realize RJ isn't who they think he is.

Extending RJ Barrett when they were so close to landing Donovan Mitchell is what makes the Knicks the Knicks.

It's like getting cold feet on your wedding day.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a good player but even the Knicks are not that crazy.

Only saying the Knicks are prone to do Knick like things, especially after losing out on Donovan Mitchell.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Shai a lot more than Mitchell. I hope the Suns can somehow make a play for him as a CP3 replacement but I don't know how that would work.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Shai a lot more than Mitchell. I hope the Suns can somehow make a play for him as a CP3 replacement but I don't know how that would work.
Agreed. If he is really available our picks should be offered up right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If he is really available our picks should be offered up right now.

I've wanted Shai since the 2018 draft.

Unfortunately, it would be hard for the Suns to compete with the assets such teams as the Knicks and Jazz can offer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've wanted Shai since the 2018 draft.

Unfortunately, it would be hard for the Suns to compete with the assets such teams as the Knicks and Jazz can offer.

I don't see Shai, or any other pure guard, as a fit until CP3 retires.

That said; the Jazz are not even going to pretend to try for a couple years and the Knicks only trade assets are their picks, the rest of that roster is a nobodies or dudes on terrible contracts. For example, Cam Johnson is more valuable as a trade asset than anything on the Knicks roster outside of future draft picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Shai, or any other pure guard, as a fit until CP3 retires.

That said; the Jazz are not even going to pretend to try for a couple years and the Knicks only trade assets are their picks, the rest of that roster is a nobodies or dudes on terrible contracts. For example, Cam Johnson is more valuable as a trade asset than anything on the Knicks roster outside of future draft picks.

I think the best time to get a star is when they are available.

If the Suns had enough assets to get him and keep their core players, I would do it even if the Suns had to play a three guard offense.

Paul is not getting any younger and his contract is only partially guaranteed after this coming season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the best time to get a star is when they are available.

If the Suns had enough assets to get him and keep their core players, I would do it even if the Suns had to play a three guard offense.

Paul is not getting any younger and his contract is only partially guaranteed after this coming season.

I don't think he is that level of star.

You gut your depth and your future draft for MVP, all-NBA type guys. He isn't that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair we haven’t seen anything like the team as constructed in over a decade. Point is, McGee was awful and near unplayable in the playoffs. That’s a big problem. I won’t argue he helped our culture and the team get the best record last season. But losing him isn’t a huge drop off. It would be nice if a Crowder replacement could offer some rim protection but you appear to take McGee’s loss harder than it should be.
That's hardly an indictment on McGee considering he didn't get most of the minutes and the team as a hole played like complete garbage for long stretches. Also, the argument isn't about McGee himself as been stated multiple times.

Our bench as a whole preformed better the year before.

I like McGee, he's a fun guy and makes some exciting plays but you can hardly put him on the court against teams that force bigs to defend outside.

When McGee was on the court last year we gave up 109.4 points per 100 possessions.

The previous year with Saric we gave up 109.5 points per 100 possessions, that bench as a whole torched teams.

Our winning percentage went up largely because we smothered teams in the 4th with our starters contributing virtually all those minutes.
The previous year we were torched on the inside when Ayton went to the bench. In the finals, the Bucks had there way with us inside and Saric does nothing to stop that. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of anybody and the Refs made it crystal clear that they were not fouling out Giannis in the paint with charging calls. Given the choice, I will take interior toughness over a guy's ability to run at the 3 point line any day of the week. Out of all the skills you want a center to have? That's gravy but low on the list.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's hardly an indictment on McGee considering he didn't get most of the minutes and the team as a hole played like complete garbage for long stretches. Also, the argument isn't about McGee himself as been stated multiple times.

The previous year we were torched on the inside when Ayton went to the bench. In the finals, the Bucks had there way with us inside and Saric does nothing to stop that. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of anybody and the Refs made it crystal clear that they were not fouling out Giannis in the paint with charging calls. Given the choice, I will take interior toughness over a guy's ability to run at the 3 point line any day of the week. Out of all the skills you want a center to have? That's gravy but low on the list.

We simply were not torched when Ayton went to the bench. The stats show that we absolutely killed teams with our bench that season. The bench struggled in the finals but only after Saric got hurt.

If we had McGee on that finals team he would have been stapled to the bench because everyone the Bucks played could stretch the floor and McGee is useless in those spots, just as we couldn't put him on the court against the Mavs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what the talking heads say. We had a good defense before McGee and we'll have a good defense without him.

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding starting Biyombo but I never advocated for that. He's Ayton's backup and Jock is a 3rd string guy.
I am not talking just about talking heads. Many GM's and coaches commented throughout the season. So did players. Their depth was universally cited.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We simply were not torched when Ayton went to the bench. The stats show that we absolutely killed teams with our bench that season. The bench struggled in the finals but only after Saric got hurt.

If we had McGee on that finals team he would have been stapled to the bench because everyone the Bucks played could stretch the floor and McGee is useless in those spots.
Yes we were. I posted the stats during the playoff run last year for points in the paint when Ayton sat down. If I can find them I will point to the link. Saric has never been known as a defensive stopper ANYWHERE he has played. He would fouled out or Giannis would have practically walked around him.