Cardinals sign left tackle D.J. Humphries to a three-year extension!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There aren't 32 good starting LTs in the NFL, let alone having good backups for LT. It just isn't really a thing.

Overall, I agree Keim's misses have stripped the Cardinals ability to have roster replacements for most positions.

LT is just one of those positions that you generally draft a guy to start from day one.
I get you. If it were just this deal, fine. It isn't, by far, so it's a problem.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would love to see Jalen Thompson get an extension next. Baker's cap number and Simmons sometimes S role will make it tricky but I still hope it gets done.

Upon further review, Baker's cap number is not that bad in terms of a Jalen extension. Just get it done Keim.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you ignore the money.

This is the tackle equivalent of paying Christian Kirk $17m per year.

The money involved is none of my business. Keeps him on the team, that's what matters to me. However, I'm not saying that I'll keep my mouth shut when he's flagged for way too many false starts or responsible for sacks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah if you ignore the money.

This is the tackle equivalent of paying Christian Kirk $17m per year.
Except he plays LT and his lowest snap % season in the last 4 was 99% of offensive snaps vs Kirk who had one season over the past four where he played over 80% of offensive snaps.

I don't believe anyone is arguing that his per year average does not match his LT ranking but sometimes is it more about the security a player provides.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LT is a position where I don't mind paying a premium for league average play.
I look at it like this:

What is the alternative to paying DJ? Drafting a guy next year? Paying nearly the same amount for a comparable player? Signing a bargain bin free agent?

Having been a fan of this team for almost three decades, I've seen us move on from the DJ Humphries type players, and it was almost always a mistake. Sure he's likely overpaid, but overpaying your own free agents has a much higher likelihood of success than over paying other teams free agents.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I look at it like this:

What is the alternative to paying DJ? Drafting a guy next year? Paying nearly the same amount for a comparable player? Signing a bargain bin free agent?

Having been a fan of this team for almost three decades, I've seen us move on from the DJ Humphries type players, and it was almost always a mistake. Sure he's likely overpaid, but overpaying your own free agents has a much higher likelihood of success than over paying other teams free agents.
Agreed. It avoids the Bobby Massie frustration.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except he plays LT and his lowest snap % season in the last 4 was 99% of offensive snaps vs Kirk who had one season over the past four where he played over 80% of offensive snaps.

I don't believe anyone is arguing that his per year average does not match his LT ranking but sometimes is it more about the security a player provides.
Yep. The alternative to DJ Humphries are likely way worse. Humphries is a top three all time Arizona Cardinals LT. That's a sad statement to make, but we've seen how much bad LT play can kill an offense over the years.

I think an underrated storyline for the LA Rams is that Joseph Noteboom is highly likely to be a step back from Whitworth. Noteboom is a solid player, but Whitworth was dominant at times (even last season), and a step back could affect their offense noticeably.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
We can also look at this from another perspective, let's go back to 2010-2012.

On November 16, 2010, D'Anthony Batiste was signed by the Arizona Cardinals after starting right tackle Brandon Keith suffered an injury. In 2011, he was declared inactive in 12 games and played in 4. In 2012, he started 10 games at left tackle, before being passed on the depth chart by Nate Potter.

Humphries is starting to look pretty good when you recall some of the others who have played tackle for the Cardinals. The aforementioned guys are the Yugo you traded in for that Chevy Spark in my previous post. You still paid too much for the Chevy but at least your not driving a Yugo anymore.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

On November 16, 2010, D'Anthony Batiste was signed by the Arizona Cardinals after starting right tackle Brandon Keith suffered an injury. In 2011, he was declared inactive in 12 games and played in 4. In 2012, he started 10 games at left tackle, before being passed on the depth chart by Nate Potter.

Humphries is starting to look pretty good when you recall some of the others who have played tackle for the Cardinals. The aforementioned guys are the Yugo you traded in for that Chevy Spark in my previous post. You still paid too much for the Chevy but at least your not driving a Yugo anymore.

Како се усуђујеш да исмеваш одличну српску технологију: извини се!

(Serbian)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
And I don't mind that Jones has been a bust so far, my irritation is that Keim has only invested three top 90 picks on offensive lineman since he was hired in 2013. Also that only Earl Watford and DJ Humphries have signed second contracts with the Cardinals, so two of the 14 Keim has drafted.
Jones being a bust is still somewhat irksome to me. What really still bothers me is the fact that Keim claimed they had Jones ranked as a first rounder on their board. How they do evaluations of college prospects sounds like a scary proposition to me. I always wondered how much further Jones would have slide down the draft if the Cardinals didn't take him. Considering 31 other teams didn't touch him to that point is pretty telling of how 31 other teams looked at him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Како се усуђујеш да исмеваш одличну српску технологију: извини се!

(Serbian)
"Не желимо невоље, на било ком језику" - филм Томбстоне... који укључује и мамљење уз извињење

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries slots right into that Keim sweet spot of "not so good he's going to definitely get a giant deal elsewhere" and "better than Keim can imagine a high-round rookie being."

This is more evidence that Josh Jones must SUCK.

I don't know. Your point 1 kinda clouds his judgement on point 2.

But it's probably more that they see him as the RT replacement for Beachum next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mailata, Matthews, Donovan Smith etc provided security for their teams. It didn't cost them $22.2m to do it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

simple truth is there are only about 25 starting caliber left tackles in the nfl and Hump is one of them.
had we let him test free agency he would have gotten some huge contract offers.
he aint great, but he does the job.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I look at it like this:

The alternative would have been drafting Tristan Wirfs in 2020 instead of Simmons who they don't even know how to use.

Hell I'd take Wirfs or Becton even rather than overpay this much.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The alternative would have been drafting Tristan Wirfs in 2020 instead of Simmons who they don't even know how to use.

Hell I'd take Wirfs or Becton even rather than overpay this much.

Can't see this as relevant to the present. There were few complaints about the Simmons pick at the time.

Pretty sure that DJ's agent didn't walk in asking for $18m per season, and Keim countered. "No, no, how about $22m!"

They've got a better sense than most of where the market is and, more importantly, where it's going.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I don't mind that Jones has been a bust so far, my irritation is that Keim has only invested three top 90 picks on offensive lineman since he was hired in 2013. Also that only Earl Watford and DJ Humphries have signed second contracts with the Cardinals, so two of the 14 Keim has drafted.
and Keim was a lineman. Bonkers.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job on resigning Humphries hope it helps to build online chemistry bit :)

Nice job by az teams signing key players

Even if another team doesn't get kd lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mailata, Matthews, Donovan Smith etc provided security for their teams. It didn't cost them $22.2m to do it.
Again, no one is saying he isn't overpaid in relation to how he ranks in the league for LTs. He is. That said, better to have him at 22 mil over this year and the next two vs trying to find one in FA (few on the market) or trusting Keim to snag an instant starter in the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
When we draft better and have more depth across the offensive line, we can let players like Humphries walk or take a tougher stance in FA negotiations. That is what we did with Kirk but we did that because we had drafted Rondale Moore, Deandre Hopkins (pre-suspension), and were planning on re-signing AJ Green along with 2nd round bust Andy Isabella on the roster. Because we have not used similar assets along the OL, we were stuck.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again, no one is saying he isn't overpaid in relation to how he ranks in the league for LTs. He is. That said, better to have him at 22 mil over this year and the next two vs trying to find one in FA (few on the market) or trusting Keim to snag an instant starter in the draft.

The contract beyond this season covers 2023, 24, 25 - UFA in 2026 at age 33.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave