Cardinals sign left tackle D.J. Humphries to a three-year extension!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
C

Jeesh people just don’t get it - simple! So many teams have done it. Could have reduced this years salary and backloaded the 3 year deal. Very common practice. We could of had $20mm plus in cap in doing. “But you pay for that down the line”.. sure to an extent but teams do this all the time and w the rising cap and new tv money incoming in the near future its moot.. just like me debating this - it’s moot as either people just want to bicker for the sake of bickering or can’t wrap their head around this often practice concept for contenders.
Why fixate on this deal?

One doesn't have to be an official capologist to know that there a host of ways to create room IF there is someone in particular you want to successfully bid on. And it's no less easy to kick costs down the road on a new deal as an existing one.

And, again, you haven't told us who we were to spend this additional room on?

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why fixate on this deal?

One doesn't have to be an official capologist to know that there a host of ways to create room IF there is someone in particular you want to successfully bid on. And it's no less easy to kick costs down the road on a new deal as an existing one

And, again, you haven't told us who we were to spend this additional room on?
Kirk? Chandler Jones?

Naw.

The real mistake was letting Reddick go last offseason. I'd feel much better with him on the roster right now.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No obvious replacement forces an overpay. DJ seems like a good dude, but hopefully we get more of the 2020 DJ than the 2021 version.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Again focus on that first paragraph.. if this was going to be done should have been done early in FA to clear more cap for an elite starter. It really is an easy concept that is done by a vast majority of contending teams. Don’t understand why the naysayers want to keep ignoring the most important point I have pointed out no less than 5 times in this thread.

I’m done, obviously pointless.
You have no idea who Keim is targeting and when, so you are really out of the loop, and I am not pretending to know. You also called him the worst guy on the OL which is asinine. So, forgive me for then doubting any of your perceptions as a whole... I can only wish you are done on this, because me thinks you are like those solicitor calls when they tell you that this is their final attempt lol

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have no idea who Keim is targeting and when, so you are really out of the loop, and I am not pretending to know. You also called him the worst guy on the OL which is asinine. So, forgive me for then doubting any of your perceptions as a whole... I can only wish you are done on this, because me thinks you are like those solicitor calls when they tell you that this is their final attempt lol
The thing that gets me is this deal could have been in the works and ready to go for some time and had Keim locked in a FA, then this deal gets done quicker.

We have no clue what goes in behind the scenes and what was planned that didn't pan out. It's all conjecture, but at the end of the day, our LT is locked in for thus season plus 3 more.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The thing that gets me is this deal could have been in the works and ready to go for some time and had Keim locked in a FA, then this deal gets done quicker.

We have no clue what goes in behind the scenes and what was planned that didn't pan out. It's all conjecture, but at the end of the day, our LT is locked in for thus season plus 3 more.
It's not just on Keim and as you said this could have been in the works with DJ stretching it out and actually, I think we all probably have a fair idea it was, except DJ's agent does not like to go social media spotlight. I like DJ the person, like him as a player for a hard-to-find position and like you happy this has been accomplished finally

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess hating on DJ is just a thing around here. Worst? First off, the judgement across the OL is skewed because being a left tackle he often goes up against the best pass rushers. Did you even take a good long look at our litany of backup centers and right guards? Heck, I also think DJ does not get enough credit for being one of the few outspoken leaders on the offense

It is a good point that he always line up opposite the other teams' best edge rusher, but on the other hand, it doesn't really matter who brings down the quarterback. If it is their best or worst edge rusher. I don't think it take any pressure away from Humphries as the expectations are based on his job title, and that means he has to protect against the best.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
worst??

we watching the same Cardinals?

Yes, I think he was the worst. He was routinely beaten several times during each game, and he should be deeply thankful that Murray has the ability that he has. Murray made Humphries look a lot less bad in the stat sheet. He was Levi Brown-bad.

However, it is not more than one season since he was an above average tackle in the NFL, so in that regard it is understandable that he gets paid. There is just no reason, in my eyes, that it needed to be now. Let him prove that last season was the outlier and not the rule - same as with Keim and Kingsbury. Let them prove their worth.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Excuse me? When did I say he was the worse guy on our line?? That definitely never happened.. lol I am going to respond when you start falsely stating comments I never made

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse me? When did I say he was the worse guy on our line?? That definitely never happened.. lol I am going to respond when you start falsely stating comments I never made

@Gandhi said it and just doubled down on it.

DJ played really well in 2020, started 2021 pretty good, then had a terrible final 5 game posts COVID. He shouldn't have played that soon and it showed, but the line was decimated overall and he gutted it out not 100%.

The guy is sick with a stomach virus and while not practicing right now, it is in every meeting and showing up everyday.

These last two lines are not directed at you, just what I am seeing from DJ.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How often do we talk about deals that are over market value and say "we HAD to do it because XYZ?" Well, that XYZ is a crap front office that paints themselves into a corner time and time again. I'm sick and tired of it.

Humphries slots right into that Keim sweet spot of "not so good he's going to definitely get a giant deal elsewhere" and "better than Keim can imagine a high-round rookie being."

No obvious replacement forces an overpay. DJ seems like a good dude, but hopefully we get more of the 2020 DJ than the 2021 version.
This is more evidence that Josh Jones must SUCK.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
100% overpaid as contracts stand right now.

Who knows what contracts will look like in the future.

Prioritizing other needs resulted in the Cardinals being desperate to extend DJ.

In negotiations, when one party is more desperate than the other, that is the side that caves.

Great that it is done and having LT set through the of 32 is a good thing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Humphries slots right into that Keim sweet spot of "not so good he's going to definitely get a giant deal elsewhere" and "better than Keim can imagine a high-round rookie being."

This is more evidence that Josh Jones must SUCK.
100% indicator that Josh Jones is not viewed as any sort of quality LT. If you are comfortable with him you wouldn't have given Hump that contract.

Expecting anything from Josh Jones at this point is sticking your head in the sand. Even if you think that he may continue to develop, all of the moves the Cardinals have made show they are not comfortable with having him on the field at any starting spot if they can help it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Very few teams have a credible in house replacement for LT. That's a ridiculous criticism.
The better ones don't let their roster to get a point where 4 of the 5 starting OL a upcoming FAs and the 5th is thinking about retirement. Also doesn't help that the team keeps signing guys to prevent Josh Jones from having to start.

Keim put himself in a position where he couldn't afford to have to fill the LT position as well as all of the other spots that need to be filled in one off-season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The better ones don't let their roster to get a point where 4 of the 5 starting OL a upcoming FAs and the 5th is thinking about retirement. Also doesn't help that the team keeps signing guys to prevent Josh Jones from having to start.

Keim put himself in a position where he couldn't afford to have to fill the LT position as well as all of the other spots that need to be filled in one off-season.
Definitely agree here.

Keim's misses on skill position players have forced him to neglect using premium picks on the OL/DL.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very fair criticism and the most warranted in this thread.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not when it's a trend it isn't. If it were just this deal, I could understand it.
There aren't 32 good starting LTs in the NFL, let alone having good backups for LT. It just isn't really a thing.
And, by the way, other teams draft credible replacements for players.
Overall, I agree Keim's misses have stripped the Cardinals ability to have roster replacements for most positions.

LT is just one of those positions that you generally draft a guy to start from day one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And I don't mind that Jones has been a bust so far, my irritation is that Keim has only invested three top 90 picks on offensive lineman since he was hired in 2013. Also that only Earl Watford and DJ Humphries have signed second contracts with the Cardinals, so two of the 14 Keim has drafted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave