Suns Off-season Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some trade ideas from PHNX if the Durant trade doesn't happen. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That first trade is too lopsided towards the Suns.

Shamet, Craig, and a 1st for Clarkson and Vanderbilt from Utah.

I'd love it, no downside, IMO. It's too good though and I can't see Utah doing it.

Reaction score
Apparently, J.J. Redick went on TV and dismissed NBA early legend Bob Cousy by claiming he was guarded by "plumbers and firemen" (a way of claiming no one could play defense). Jerry West slapped Redick down for his "disrespect." However, I immediately noticed the real problem. In his zeal to protect an NBA legend, West ignored whom Redick was really disrespecting: plumbers and firefighters, by using them as an obviously inappropriate metaphor for "unathletic."

Essentially, Redick insulted plumbers and firefighters for not having a trait (athleticism) that no one asks them to have. It was an athlete (who was known for not being a great athlete) blatantly looking down his nose at the outside world of people who do jobs more important than entertaining. And West ignored that. Neither one of them spends enough time in the real world.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, J.J. Redick went on TV and dismissed NBA early legend Bob Cousy by claiming he was guarded by "plumbers and firemen" (a way of claiming no one could play defense). Jerry West slapped Redick down for his "disrespect." However, I immediately noticed the real problem. In his zeal to protect an NBA legend, West ignored whom Redick was really disrespecting: plumbers and firefighters, by using them as an obviously inappropriate metaphor for "unathletic."

Essentially, Redick insulted plumbers and firefighters for not having a trait (athleticism) that no one asks them to have. It was an athlete (who was known for not being a great athlete) blatantly looking down his nose at the outside world of people who do jobs more important than entertaining. And West ignored that. Neither one of them spends enough time in the real world.
I think the point was that the league was closer to semi-pro back then than pro, or at least how we think of pro basketball today. Back in the 50's and 60's many players worked full or part time jobs in addition to playing BBall. So, yes, some of the time he was guarded by plumbers and firemen and bricklayers and so on.

Stars were still stars but the journeymen ball players back then weren't like the role players of today, not even close.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s not an insult to plumbers and firefighters, it’s a reality. Those guys don’t possess the physical makeup or skills to be nba players…at least not today. It would be no different than saying “my plumber had the skills of an nba ball player, royally screwed up my sink and now the kitchen is flooded.” Yeah because an nba player isn’t expected to have plumbing skills.

No offense, but reading all your posts you kinda feel like you’re all over the place looking for things to be angry about.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Part of the real world is supply and demand and the fact is that professional athletes simply have a much lower supply and a much higher demand than most other professions. Therefor they get paid a crap ton of money for what they do. Plumbers and fireman are much more "ordinary" people in the sense of physical skill set than a professional athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The odds of playing in the NBA is infinitesimal.

If we are going to compare them they should be compared to elite professions that get paid large sums of money perhaps such as actors and other major sports professionals.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That was in response to Mad Dog who is a joke. He’s one of those old east coast white guys who whole thing is life what better back in my day.

Mad Dog was saying how Cousy was more skilled than Kyrie.

JJ then lit him up

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was in response to Mad Dog who is a joke. He’s one of those old east coast white guys who whole thing is life what better back in my day.

JJ then lit him up

Plumbers and fireman could guard JJ Redick.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bringing thread back on topic. I would rather PHX trade for either John Collins or Kyle Kuzma to solidify the PF spot. If we make a trade with BRK I would trade Paul for Irving, if rumors are correct that BRK would take Westbrook for Irving, Paul would be a much better option for them the Russ.

This would be one hell of a starting 5:
Ayton
Kuzma or Collins
Bridges
Booker
Irving

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bringing thread back on topic. I would rather PHX trade for either John Collins or Kyle Kuzma to solidify the PF spot. If we make a trade with BRK I would trade Paul for Irving, if rumors are correct that BRK would take Westbrook for Irving, Paul would be a much better option for them the Russ.

This would be one hell of a starting 5:
Ayton
Kuzma or Collins
Bridges
Booker
Irving

In a way you might be right. The price for Kyrie seems so low, just not sure how bad he would be for chemistry. He sure did not seem to help Boston.

I don't know though, we would not be giving him an extension so it would be like a one year rental.

I guess the question comes down to who is better for one year, CP3 or Kyrie. If it's last years version of CP3 than I would take him, because of his ability to be a much better distributor.

As far as Kuzma or Collins - I don't want Kuzma period. He is just not very efficent. Crowder is a superior player to him in my opinion.
Collins has too big a contract, and I don't think he would at all be happy being the 4th or 5th option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a way you might be right. The price for Kyrie seems so low, just not sure how bad he would be for chemistry. He sure did not seem to help Boston.

I don't know though, we would not be giving him an extension so it would be like a one year rental.

I guess the question comes down to who is better for one year, CP3 or Kyrie. If it's last years version of CP3 than I would take him, because of his ability to be a much better distributor.

As far as Kuzma or Collins - I don't want Kuzma period. He is just not very efficent. Crowder is a superior player to him in my opinion.
Collins has too big a contract, and I don't think he would at all be happy being the 4th or 5th option.

Yeah, Kuzma's advanced stats are absolutely wretched. Bad shooting and a total doormat defensively. He also seems like he doesn't really give a **** when I've watched him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kuz in a more limited role could do be great for us. Just seems like he needs a lot of touches to get going sometimes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

JJ then lit him up
As he should have.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kuz in a more limited role could do be great for us. Just seems like he needs a lot of touches to get going sometimes.
I don't think you can count on Kuzma. If he ever wakes up and decides he wants to do something about his career I think he'd be a borderline all star every season but I just don't see it happening for him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you can count on Kuzma. If he ever wakes up and decides he wants to do something about his career I think he'd be a borderline all star every season but I just don't see it happening for him.

He’s not improving his game in any aspect. I don’t see him ever being an allstar. But if he got to us I think a lesser role for him would do wonders, if he’d ever except that. Iirc from the lakers he wasn’t happy how he was being used.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s not improving his game in any aspect. I don’t see him ever being an allstar. But if he got to us I think a lesser role for him would do wonders, if he’d ever except that. Iirc from the lakers he wasn’t happy how he was being used.
I'm not so much talking about improving his game, more like improving his consistncy. He just doesn't give you everything he has every night. I don't see that changing and if it doesn't change, you can't afford to have him in your top 6 or 7 rotation IMO. He's kind of a poor man's version of Lamar Odom during his first stint with the Clippers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns have a backup plan of some sort because I dont belive the KD trade will happen unless he comes out and forces the issue publicly. Even then, there will be other suitors and there's no guarantee he ends up in Phoenix.

I don't think the Suns can, or should, run it back. If they don't make a move this off-season to upgrade their starting 5 then I suspect Ayton trade talks to be crazy by the deadline. I'd rather not see that and plus we'd be force to adjust on the fly. If a championship is the goal then making a move now during the off-season is better than the mid-season.

I'm not sure who they'd target and what if would cost but if they're willing to part with 2 picks and a bunch of expiring contracts that should be enough to get an upgrade at starting PF.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They are bringing back a 60+ win team with the only loss being Javale McGee and he probably only directly influenced the outcome of games a handful of times.

But I’m convinced KEEPING Javale wouldn’t make a difference when it comes to the playoffs, so they do need an upgrade somewhere. Maybe Dario will offset the McGee loss, and he most certainly will be better than McGee in the playoffs. I know a lot of people here don’t give Dario any credit but I often wonder if we would have lost in the Finals had Dario not gone down in game 1. And looking at that team, on paper when healthy this one is at least even.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are bringing back a 60+ win team with the only loss being Javale McGee and he probably only directly influenced the outcome of games a handful of times.

But I’m convinced KEEPING Javale wouldn’t make a difference when it comes to the playoffs, so they do need an upgrade somewhere. Maybe Dario will offset the McGee loss, and he most certainly will be better than McGee in the playoffs. I know a lot of people here don’t give Dario any credit but I often wonder if we would have lost in the Finals had Dario not gone down in game 1. And looking at that team, on paper when healthy this one is at least even.
The team from two years ago is irrelevant because so many teams improved from that time. So if we are as good as that team we aren’t a leading contender. Since our finals team . . .

Memphis is clearly better than they were
GS is clearly better
Minnesota is clearly better
Boston is clearly better
Mavericks are clearly better
Clippers should be a lot better
Denver should be a lot better

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The team from two years ago is irrelevant because so many teams improved from that time. So if we are as good as that team we aren’t a leading contender. Since our finals team . . .

Memphis is clearly better than they were
GS is clearly better
Minnesota is clearly better
Boston is clearly better
Mavericks are clearly better
Clippers should be a lot better
Denver should be a lot better
And yet we STILL won 64 games a mere 2 months ago. Don't be so quick to make us out to be worse than we are.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But I’m convinced KEEPING Javale wouldn’t make a difference when it comes to the playoffs, so they do need an upgrade somewhere. Maybe Dario will offset the McGee loss, and he most certainly will be better than McGee in the playoffs.
I agree that McGee was terrible in last year's playoffs. But pretty much the whole team was, and we're hoping that they'll bounce back, so it seems that we could have afforded the same optimism to McGee. I think we've established by now that he was very effective in the regular season.

Saric has always been terrible. Most of this board wanted to give up on him long ago, and that was before he suffered a major injury. The only reason there is enthusiasm now about Saric's return is that the Suns need another big, and he happens to already be on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that McGee was terrible in last year's playoffs. But pretty much the whole team was, and we're hoping that they'll bounce back, so it seems that we could have afforded the same optimism to McGee. I think we've established by now that he was very effective in the regular season.

Saric has always been terrible. Most of this board wanted to give up on him long ago, and that was before he suffered a major injury. The only reason there is enthusiasm now about Saric's return is that the Suns need another big, and he happens to already be on the roster.

JaVale made it clear he would do what was best for his family in comments he made after the season. It came down to a financial decision.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet we STILL won 64 games a mere 2 months ago. Don't be so quick to make us out to be worse than we are.

And those 64 wins ultimately meant nothing other than over inflating the teams confidence and the fans perception of them in the playoffs. Those 64 wins didn't stop them from being spanked by an inferior Dallas and putting together the most embarrassing playoff loss in Arizona sports history in game 7.

The reason I don't have much optimism or faith in this team next season is their own doing, both on the court and then their lack of moves during the off-season while other contenders have improved.

The only thing they have going for them is adding Dario, which isn't much. He'll be a 3rd string Center and backup PF. I guess Torrey Craig losing minutes is a good thing considering how bad he was last season.