The Durant Sweepstakes

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think that might be the sticking point. The Suns will give up Mikal or Cam but not both. Mikal is the most likely to go. He is a DPOY candidate and a worthy trade piece.
Mikal pretty much has to be in any trade to match salary. Nobody else (not including CP/Book) makes over $10m... KD makes $44m.

Assuming the twins are in this hypothetical straight up trade with Brooklyn we’d need to keep Crowder. You don’t win a title without guys who do the dirty work.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Utah has said they have no interest in Ben Simmons. I can't see Simmons being worth much of anything on the open market.

Link, Tony Jones is the Jazz writer for The Athletic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That three-way trade might work with the following change.

Suns out: Bridges, Crowder, Saric, 4 first-round picks.
Suns in: Durant

Utah out: Donovan Mitchell
Utah in: Kyrie Irving, 2 first-round picks.

Nets out: Durant, Irving
Nets in: Mikal Bridges, Donovan Mitchell, Crowder, Saric, 2 first-round picks.

I don't usually get these trade suggestions all even, so feel free to critique, but I would appreciate not being flamed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't usually get these trade suggestions all even, so feel free to critique, but I would appreciate not being flamed.

Mitchell can't go to BKN while Simmons is there. It has to do with Simmons being on a designated rookie extension and teams only being able to acquire 1 player on that sort of contract by trade.

This article has info...

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would we have to give up both Cam Johnson and Bridges for something to happen?
no! if we are willing to give up 4 first round picks and parts to win-now (and we should be) than we have a great option to add another star during the season without giving up our future with Bridges and Cam.

again, the equation is
another star player + Bridges + Cam J
> is greater than
a couple of years of an aging, injury-prone Durant

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mitchell can't go to BKN while Simmons is there. It has to do with Simmons being on a designated rookie extension and teams only being able to acquire 1 player on that sort of contract by trade.

This article has info...

Yep, I am surprised how much the national guys keep ignoring that rule. Some even say that Mitchell and Simmons can't be on the same team but the rule is that you can't acquire two rookie max contracts via TRADE. You can have 2 rookie max players on your roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Joe Tsai trades KD for role players and picks with 4 years left on his deal he will be universally hated by every other owner. You are opening Pandora’s box moreso than it already was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trade for Durant looks difficult for the Suns at present but Ayton can be traded with his approval on January 15th and there is the trade deadline.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Problem with this is, first off I doubt Utah wants Kyrie but maybe if they value the cap room next season. Second I think what they really want for Mitchell is Draft picks and the Knicks will beat this offer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A trade for Durant looks difficult for the Suns at present but Ayton can be traded with his approval on January 15th and there is the trade deadline.
I don't know. After listening to Gambo again yesterday I think the Suns offer has always been a straight up offer of picks and Mikal and salary filler.

I don't think this trade changes anything actually, and Gambo and Flex both more or less said this Ayton signing doesn't change anything.

They brought up a good point - Josh Okoge was signed to be our perimeter defensive replacement for Mikal, and since the rest of his game is pure trash that makes a lot of sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I heard somewhere we lost those 4 games by a combined 18 points and the difference in free throws those 4 games? 18

It’s amazing how were healthy for 2 home games then everything goes left.
We really were so very close.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we were willing to give up bridges and four first round pics for Durant I think the trade would’ve already happened.

We are waiting them out. I don’t think Bridges is going anywhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. After listening to Gambo again yesterday I think the Suns offer has always been a straight up offer of picks and Mikal and salary filler.

I don't think this trade changes anything actually, and Gambo and Flex both more or less said this Ayton signing doesn't change anything.

They brought up a good point - Josh Okoge was signed to be our perimeter defensive replacement for Mikal, and since the rest of his game is pure trash that makes a lot of sense.

I know Flex has always maintained a trade for Durant was separate from an Ayton signing and it is to a degree because of the hard cap it would have imposed upon the Nets.

However, if the Suns had done a sign-and-trade with Ayton and received first round picks in return, those picks could have been used in a trade for Durant. So in this respect, the Suns have less assets to offer.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's simply going to be much much harder now to get Durant. Flex also indicated, even without Ayton the Suns had everything the Nets wanted in a trade. That doesn't appear to be the case. The Nets want evidently much much more than any team has offered. According to local radio there, the Nets have said that no team has come close to their original asking price and they are not obligated to trade Durant. They are fine with holding on to him until they get what they are asking for.

Sounds like the Suns have no shot at getting KD unless they get a 3rd team involved. It would have been much easier had we gotten a load of assets in an Ayton trade but that ship has sailed.

Not holding my breath for KD. I think it's time for the Suns to look at other deals to shore up this roster because it's a downgrade from last season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Nets can't be more dysfunctional can they. Getting Simmons was bad, Harden wanted out. KD wants out, Irving is flip flopping on staying or going. No major star wants to go there.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok what have we got? How many draft picks can we get for Shamet, Crowder and Saric?
I think we wont like the answer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I
This report seems to confirm local radio reports....."Suns haven’t even scratched the surface of meeting Brooklyn’s asking price."

Mikal has to be the kicker right? Suns want to hold onto him bad enough to let KD go? For now anyway.
Cant fathom JJ would be hanging on to draft picks or any other players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok what have we got? How many draft picks can we get for Shamet, Crowder and Saric?
I think we wont like the answer.
None.

Those guys have zero first round pick value.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

Mikal has to be the kicker right? Suns want to hold onto him bad enough to let KD go? For now anyway.
Cant fathom JJ would be hanging on to draft picks or any other players.
Local radio and that article are saying no team has come close. So, it can't be just about Mikal. He is good but he would not be the difference. Sounds like they are also asking for a boatload of picks or they want more than just someone of Mikal's caliber (which would require a 3rd team).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard