The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why we should offer them Cam Johnson, cap filler and a boat load of draft picks.

They're not getting a better offer, they are running a real risk of Durant making it ugly. If it does get ugly then the Suns should pull Cam from the offer.

I think the most first round picks the Suns can offer is four.

Cam Johnson, cap filler and four first round picks might not be enough to get it done for Durant.

I would like to see what the Suns could get for expiring contracts and a first round pick or two if getting Durant is not possible.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cam Johnson, cap filler and four first round picks might not be enough to get it done for Durant.

I would like to see what the Suns could get for expiring contracts and a first round pick or two if getting Durant is not possible.

I don't see a first or 2 and an expiring deal landing them much that would move the needle and it would end any chance of making a big move.

As far as what it would take to get Durant... Cam Johnson and a boat load of picks might not be enough right now, but the Nets are still hopeful that Durant would be willing to play for them. I am not convinced that will be the case in a few months.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think we could get a 1st for Crowder from someone. Utah got one for Royce O'Neal and I'd say Crowder is better than him.

I want the Suns to try and do that so they can then use that pick to help improve their rotation by acquiring someone like Kuzma, who I believe Washington would move for a pick and cap relief. Another target would be Clarkson from Utah. If they're blowing it up, get him. He'd be a great combo guard to cover for Paul and Book. Maybe a pick could get that done also. Just would take some wheeling and dealing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we didn't have Ayton, guaranteed that Bridges would suffer the same criticisms as DA.

Bridges is super inconsistent on offense and it all has to do with how aggressive he is but a lot of nights he’s very passive and content to stand around.

When he attacks and slashes he’s great at it, but for some reason he just never puts it all together

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bridges is super inconsistent on offense and it all has to do with how aggressive he is but a lot of nights he’s very passive and content to stand around.

When he attacks and slashes he’s great at it, but for some reason he just never puts it all together

I don’t watch enough games so please correct me if I am wrong. I thought this year he was attacking and slashing more compared to the last couple of years. It disappeared in the playoffs.

Maybe he will take another step?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a first or 2 and an expiring deal landing them much that would move the needle and it would end any chance of making a big move.

As far as what it would take to get Durant... Cam Johnson and a boat load of picks might not be enough right now, but the Nets are still hopeful that Durant would be willing to play for them. I am not convinced that will be the case in a few months.

Both of the above options are going to be worth a lot more around the trade deadline.

The question is will Durant be available then.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Which is why we should offer them Cam Johnson, cap filler and a boat load of draft picks.

They're not getting a better offer, they are running a real risk of Durant making it ugly. If it does get ugly then the Suns should pull Cam from the offer.
Sean Marks may as well hand in his resignation with that trade.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean I guess I agree, but I really don't want to lose Mikal because he is my favorite player.

I don't think Mikal is done improving, and I think you are being to dismissive of his potential.
His ceiling is Shawn Marion with better d and less athleticism. A good role player which isn’t bad but KD is all-world.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sean Marks may as well hand in his resignation with that trade.

Houston tried to play hardball when James Harden requested a trade to Brooklyn, they sat on him for months and the situation only got uglier, they finally moved him for 3 first round picks some pick swaps and a steaming waste of contracts. Harden was 29 years old and coming off a season where he averaged 34 points a game and was on the All-NBA first team.

Philly played hardball with with Ben Simmons, sat on him for half a season and ended up getting a putrid return for him.

Sean Marks is playing with fire. They've likely already received the best offers they will see.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His ceiling is Shawn Marion with better d and less athleticism. A good role player which isn’t bad but KD is all-world.
KD has been all-world, I don't know about "is". I only saw him once during the season that I recall (against us) and he seemed like the same old Durant. But the playoff games were a real concern. He was shut down by single coverage, turned the ball over often, shot a horrible percentage and his defense wasn't what I remembered.

Everyone seems willing to just ignore those 4 games but I'm concerned nonetheless. I'd much rather let the season get underway so we can see if that was just a fluke or the result of his injury and his age taking it's toll.

194 million for 4 years is an incredibly dangerous contract for a 34 year old, and IMO is far too big of a gamble for a team like the Suns even without considering that it would likely cost us Bridges, CamJ and 4 draft picks. If he's back to playing defense and able to move well enough to get good looks when he wants, then maybe it's worth the gamble.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of the above options are going to worth a lot more around the trade deadline.

The question is will Durant be available then.
What gets me about waiting? Kevin is still going to want to go to a contender. No contender is going to gut the team even at the trading deadline to get KD.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Houston tried to play hardball when James Harden requested a trade to Brooklyn, they sat on him for months and the situation only got uglier, they finally moved him for 3 first round picks some pick swaps and a steaming waste of contracts. Harden was 29 years old and coming off a season where he averaged 34 points a game and was on the All-NBA first team.

Philly played hardball with with Ben Simmons, sat on him for half a season and ended up getting a putrid return for him.

Sean Marks is playing with fire. They've likely already received the best offers they will see.
Harden had less than a year on his contract and they did the best they could. Seth Curry might be the best player from that deal going forward.

IMO their plan is to listen to offers to make him feel like they’re trying and eventually let him know that he’s staying there unless he expands his trade list of teams. One thing for sure is he’s not getting traded for a bunch of fillers with zero all-star potential.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
KD has been all-world, I don't know about "is". I only saw him once during the season that I recall (against us) and he seemed like the same old Durant. But the playoff games were a real concern. He was shut down by single coverage, turned the ball over often, shot a horrible percentage and his defense wasn't what I remembered.

Everyone seems willing to just ignore those 4 games but I'm concerned nonetheless. I'd much rather let the season get underway so we can see if that was just a fluke or the result of his injury and his age taking it's toll.

194 million for 4 years is an incredibly dangerous contract for a 34 year old, and IMO is far too big of a gamble for a team like the Suns even without considering that it would likely cost us Bridges, CamJ and 4 draft picks. If he's back to playing defense and able to move well enough to get good looks when he wants, then maybe it's worth the gamble.
Steve, I have to laugh, he averaged 30 points per game this season. He ran into a defensive buzzsaw with Boston without much help. Don’t let the only games you may have watched color what was an amazing season by the guy on a massively dysfunctional team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gets me about waiting? Kevin is still going to want to go to a contender. No contender is going to gut the team even at the trading deadline to get KD.

Players are usually more available at the trade deadline as trade options dry up.

From reports, the Suns almost traded Ayton at last season's trade deadline.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players are usually more available at the trade deadline as trade options dry up.

From reports, the Suns almost traded Ayton at last season's trade deadline.
Availability is not the issue. Price is. No team is going to gut their team to trade for him if they are contending. So, the Nets would have to come way down on the asking price for him because Kevin is going to have a very short list, he is willing to play for. So, it’s not going to benefit the Nets to wait. They are not going to get more later. Now if KD wanted to play with a team not contending that could move a bunch of assets that would be different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harden had less than a year on his contract and they did the best they could. Seth Curry might be the best player from that deal going forward.

IMO their plan is to listen to offers to make him feel like they’re trying and eventually let him know that he’s staying there unless he expands his trade list of teams. One thing for sure is he’s not getting traded for a bunch of fillers with zero all-star potential.

When Houston traded Harden he had 3 years left on his deal. They got filler and draft picks in return, he was younger than Durant and was playing at an MVP level the prior year.

If Durant tells the Nets that he is gunna stay home until they get a deal done, which I think is very likely, then they won't get anywhere near "All-star potential" players for him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Durant is 33 and younger than Curry, I’m sure no one would have a problem trading for him if it was possible? Durant is arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA and had an awesome year despite being on a disfunctional train wreck with the Nets. Anyone who wouldn’t want him in a place he desires to be is crazy imo! If yo I can get him you DO IT PERIOD!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant is 33 and younger than Curry, I’m sure no one would have a problem trading for him if it was possible? Durant is arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA and had an awesome year despite being on a disfunctional train wreck with the Nets. Anyone who wouldn’t want him in a place he desires to be is crazy imo! If yo I can get him you DO IT PERIOD!!
Yeah… this feels like people getting bent out of shape because we had to trade Oubre to get CP3. That is the equivalent of Bridges to KD in terms of talent and comparison as far as impact on the team.

If bridges + Dario/Crowder/Filler + picks (we don’t value anyway) gets that deal done pre-season, the Suns would be absolute freaking morons not to take it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… this feels like people getting bent out of shape because we had to trade Oubre to get CP3. That is the equivalent of Bridges to KD in terms of talent and comparison.

If bridges + Dario/Crowder/Filler + picks (we don’t value anyway) gets that deal done pre-season, the Suns would be absolute freaking morons not to take it.
I don’t equate Oubre to Bridges at all. Oubre can’t anchor either side of the ball on a good team. I know you are not as high as others on Bridges but he was a defensive anchor all season. Having said that? You can’t let Bridges get in the way of a trade for KD. Especially, now that we have Ayton back. If JJ could pull it off without getting Bridges that would be epic. It can’t be the reason you don’t pull the trigger though.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I don't think that Bridges and Ayton are inconsistent because of a lack of aggressiveness. I think they only have a limited number of go to moves and when those spots are taken away from them they don't have many counter moves. I noticed Bridges couldn't get into the lane to shoot his fadeaways against Dallas and forced a few from the free throw line and missed badly because it was outside of his range.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Steve, I have to laugh, he averaged 30 points per game this season. He ran into a defensive buzzsaw with Boston without much help. Don’t let the only games you may have watched color what was an amazing season by the guy on a massively dysfunctional team.
You're probably right that the Boston series was kind of fluky, but he was really terrible in that series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t equate Oubre to Bridges at all. Oubre can’t anchor either side of the ball on a good team. I know you are not as high as others on Bridges but he was a defensive anchor all season. Having said that? You can’t let Bridges get in the way of a trade for KD. Especially, now that we have Ayton back. If JJ could pull it off without getting Bridges that would be epic. It can’t be the reason you don’t pull the trigger though.
You’re not understanding what I’m saying. And I’m a little too tipsy to explain it properly.

I’m just saying impact wise fretting over losing an Oubre v. What we got in CP3 will be much like Bridges v. KD. KD makes us pretty much invinceanle… if healthy, probably one of the best teams of all time.

Yeah… I said it. CP3/Booker/KD/Ayton steamrolls everyone in the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right that the Boston series was kind of fluky, but he was really terrible in that series.
He flat out quit in that series. Which isn’t a great look for an all-timer and some could use against him believing a lack of a character will keep him from being a champion.

But our culture is so much better here and I think Year 1 he will be all in. And 1 year is all we need.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Marks knows how this game is played. He played it himself.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Houston traded Harden he had 3 years left on his deal. They got filler and draft picks in return, he was younger than Durant and was playing at an MVP level the prior year.

If Durant tells the Nets that he is gunna stay home until they get a deal done, which I think is very likely, then they won't get anywhere near "All-star potential" players for him.
the only thing I disagree with here is that I do not believe Durant will stay home. He loves to play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson