The Ayton Plan

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you’re worth what the market says you’re worth, there’d be no such thing as a bad contract. And Russell Westbrook is a top 10 player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least the option for a sign-and-trade. Suns have 48 hours to match an offer sheet once it is signed.

Reminds me a bit of when Jason Kidd and the gang flew into Denver, jumped in a limo and tried to keep McDyess from signing with Denver. Hopefully, we don't get "locked out of the building" again, lol. I think I will see if I can find and bump that old thread for kicks and giggles.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Deandre Ayton loved the idea of playing with Tyrese Haliburton."
Deandre would say he loved the idea of playing with Cyd Charisse and Richard Burton if it were on a max deal,
and they're both dead

if Tyrese Haliburton is not on the NBA-2K game, Ayton probably doesn't even know who he is
(just like most here probably have no idea who Cyd Charisse and Richard Burton were)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we match, he isn't getting anywhere near the Pacers or any other team, no? If we match, I thought that means the Suns can't trade him?
If Ayton signs the offer sheet and we match? He is not eligible to be traded until Jan 15 and can’t be included in a sign and trade. You could trade him Jan 15th but Ayton has to approve the trade as well.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we match, he isn't getting anywhere near the Pacers or any other team, no? If we match, I thought that means the Suns can't trade him?
They can trade him to any team but the Pacers as of Jan 15th but he has the ability to reject any trade. If matched he cannot be traded to the Pacers until after 1 full year from when it was matched.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can trade him to any team but the Pacers as of Jan 15th but he has the ability to reject any trade. If matched he cannot be traded to the Pacers until after 1 full year from when it was matched.
Yep forgot about that part. That is actually a really big detail. If the Suns match? Pacers have no shot of getting him for a full year. You cannot do a sign and trad with the team that made him the offer sheet even after Jan 15th. So, in essence the Pacers take themselves out of the running next year PERIOD if the Suns match.

Reaction score
Yep forgot about that part. That is actually a really big detail. If the Suns match? Pacers have no shot of getting him for a full year. You cannot do a sign and trad with the team that made him the offer sheet even after Jan 15th. So, in essence the Pacers take themselves out of the running next year PERIOD if the Suns match.
Obviously, the Pacers must believe the Suns won't match.

I don't expect them to either, because ever since I heard Robert Sarver claim years ago that he makes money whether his franchise wins or not, I have assumed he is a cynical creep who doesn't care about anything but money. (Like the league itself.)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Obviously, the Pacers must believe the Suns won't match.

I don't expect them to either, because ever since I heard Robert Sarver claim years ago that he makes money whether his franchise wins or not, I have assumed he is a cynical creep who doesn't care about anything but money. (Like the league itself.)
Yes... because they believe the Suns are going all-in for Durant. And Sarver won't pay the massive luxury tax if he were to retain Ayton and grab Durant!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They can trade him on January 15th 2022. Pacers couldn't get him til July of 2023

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way the Pacers will come up with enough to entice a sign and trade. They aren't. They are going to sign DA and the Suns are going to match. That's it. That is what the Suns planned to do all along. They let DA test the market and determine his market value and then match.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way the Pacers will come up with enough to entice a sign and trade. They aren't. They are going to sign DA and the Suns are going to match. That's it. That is what the Suns planned to do all along. They let DA test the market and determine his market value and then match.
The Suns are settling by matching Ayton. Don’t kid yourself. If they had gotten the package they wanted? Ayton would be gone. So, don’t be shocked if they are still willing to move him Jan 15th.

Winning and money kills all ills sometimes to it’s possible if this team is red hot? They may change their minds.

Reaction score
A
Yes... because they believe the Suns are going all-in for Durant. And Sarver won't pay the massive luxury tax if he were to retain Ayton and grab Durant!
This is very interesting. Why? Because although I personally have no interest in buying an aging superstar who never made one team his home (yes, I know Chris Paul fits that description; well, I didn't ask for him either), I don't think it has occurred to me that the Suns could make leverage of other teams' perceptions. They don't need to get Kevin Durant, only to make teams think they will.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And the
Also worth pointing out it is almost certain the offer sheet will include a max trade kicker(plus player option on the final year), so whether he is just after as much money as possible or just really hates the organization it's unlikely he'd reject any trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the

Also worth pointing out it is almost certain the offer sheet will include a max trade kicker(plus player option on the final year), so whether he is just after as much money as possible or just really hates the organization it's unlikely he'd reject any trade.
I do not believe the matching teams has to include things like trade kickers and incentives on top of the base contract. It’s just a base match. I could be wrong but I believe I read that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacers had no reason not to throw a Hail Mary pass to acquire Ayton if the Suns were not interested in doing a sign-and-trade with them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't think Mathurin, Turner and a first would get it done from our side?

But yeah, I doubt the Pacers want to pay Ayton that much money AND give up Mathurin and a pick for the right to do so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's what I don't get about this. If they sign Ayton, the only way to get Durant is by giving up roughly equal salary, so what's the difference if the team has Ayton/Mikal/Crowder/Dario v. Ayton/KD - the salaries all even out. our depth would take a hit but we likely fill those in with league min guys.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not believe the matching teams has to include things like trade kickers and incentives on top of the base contract. It’s just a base match. I could be wrong but I believe I read that.
Well that would be a nice change. I know they did try to do away with a lot of the poison pill contract items but I hadn't heard it included trade kickers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
here's what I don't get about this. If they sign Ayton, the only way to get Durant is by giving up roughly equal salary, so what's the difference if the team has Ayton/Mikal/Crowder/Dario v. Ayton/KD - the salaries all even out. our depth would take a hit but we likely fill those in with league min guys.
Really not sure... Gambo (don't laugh), said today that if the Suns were miraculously able to keep Ayton and bring on Durant, their Tax Bill alone would be over $100M! Second only to the Warriors...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard