The Ayton Plan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still hoping PHX matches a 4 year extension but I wonder if PHX does two separate transactions with ATL to facilitate an Ayton trade.

Transaction #1 - DA for Capela straight swap. PHX can only take back around $19M and Capela alone makes $18M.

Transaction #2 Crowder & Shamet for Collins. ATL doesn't want Collins back and his trade value is pretty low from what I've read. Crowder is expiring and Shamet's contract is basically 2 yrs / $20M since the last 2 years aren't guaranteed. They are going to need space when Murray extension kicks in to avoid LT.

The only other deal that is realistic is DA to ORL for Wendall Carter Jr and pieces.

In FA I like (if we can find space) and are keeping Ayton:
G Donte DiVincenzo
PF Chris Boucher
C Bobby Portis
C Mo Bamba
C Jalen Smith

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really disappointed nobody has brought up the most important question should the Suns somehow land KD.

Is he bringing his burner accounts with him?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More proof there was no prior "opportunity". Gambo was up late last night working on a story to lay out the Suns plans based on what the Suns were telling him. It all blew up after KD requested a trade. Everything changed TODAY. Poor Gambo. LOL.

Gambo confirmed the Suns main priority is working out a deal without gutting the team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More proof there was no prior "opportunity". Gambo was up late last night working on a story to lay out the Suns plans based on what the Suns were telling him. It all blew up after KD requested a trade. Everything changed TODAY. Poor Gambo. LOL.

Gambo confirmed the Suns main priority is working out a deal without gutting the team.

Are you still on the Flex thing

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This throws some fuel on the fire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The agents complaining that the Suns "never told them about that" is such crap. Agents don't know how the CBA works when it comes to signing players? Come on now.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It really sounds like Ayton's agents screwed him over this past summer. Ayton's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and if he trusts guys who are feeding him misinformation and don't properly understand how the system works, it's easy to understand how he could become upset and conflicted.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The agents complaining that the Suns "never told them about that" is such crap. Agents don't know how the CBA works when it comes to signing players? Come on now.

Ayton's agents really bungled things last offseason. They tried saying 5 year max or nothing and felt that negotiating was unnecessary. Now they claim the Suns didn't say something about why they wouldn't go 5 years? We all knew, JJ said it very clear after word of Ayton's extension talks not happening.

How can you be told if you won't come to the table and talk? How can his agents not read a public interview the Suns general manager conducted after word came out an extension couldn't be reached? That interview was 90% focused on Ayton's extension, or lack of one.

If Ayton doesn't fire them, he's an idiot. I don't know how they can look more inept than they have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was skeptical of this reasoning when we didn’t give Ayton that deal last year, but if we land KD, I’ll happily gobble up plentiful sides of crow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like Ayton's agents screwed him over this past summer. Ayton's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and if he trusts guys who are feeding him misinformation and don't properly understand how the system works, it's easy to understand how he could become upset and conflicted.

It looks like Ayton's camp totally misjudged the market in free agency.

A clue might at have been given at last season's trade deadline although it's hard to know what the offers were then.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like Ayton's camp totally misjudged the market in free agency.

A clue might at have been given at last season's trade deadline although it's hard to know what the offers were then.

Not only that, the way Ayton handled himself in a game 7 probably hurt his own value. Not to mention what the league saw over the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that, the way Ayton handled himself in a game 7 probably hurt his own value. Not to mention what the league saw over the season.

I'd like to know more about that situation. I'm sure things were heated and in the moment. It happens.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh they didn’t give Ayton the max because he’s not worth it. That nugget just happens to have aged well in this moment IMO.

And that DRE is one of the reasons he wasn't worth the max. It's not just the financials, as we've seen there are certain restrictions and limitations that would have come with that salary. When those are factored in, even the most ardent Ayton supporters can see why he didn't get the max.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And that DRE is one of the reasons he wasn't worth the max. It's not just the financials, as we've seen there are certain restrictions and limitations that would have come with that salary. When those are factored in, even the most ardent Ayton supporters can see why he didn't get the max.
One of the reasons I agree but if that designation didn’t exist he still wouldn’t have got the max. The argument at the time was that we could add a max-rookie guy to pair with Book/DA in the future. We still don’t know for sure what the deal they offered was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers and Spurs still have room for Ayton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh they didn’t give Ayton the max because he’s not worth it. That nugget just happens to have aged well in this moment IMO.

They offered him the max at 4 years but not 5 if I’m not mistaken

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3
Booker
Bridges
KD
Turner

?
That’s what I was thinking. Turner and a pick for Ayton with the pick going to NJ.

That team is NASTY on D and has five three point shooters in the starting lineup along with 3 elite shot creators.

That said, I still think Bridges is in that deal. Even so, CP3, Book, Cam J, KD, Turner is really nasty also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They offered him the max at 4 years but not 5 if I’m not mistaken
According to both sides, no offer was ever made. The agent said there was no discussion if he was going to offer anything other than the full 5 year max so JJ never got the chance to make the offer he intended to offer (3 or 4 year max).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose