The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF?!?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Dude this came from a Washington Wizards insider. LOL. This would be such a bad trade.

Claxton (Center) - 9 PPG / 5 Rebounds.
Joe Harris (SF/PF) - 11 PPG / 4 rebounds
Cam Thomas (SG) - 8.5 PPG / 1.2 Assists

What a joke.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But that’s been by far his best year and it’s still nothing to write home about.

6/5
5/5
8/5
10/8

And there not going to extend him at any number. For a guy that was a top 5 pick that’s a bust.

Maybe he’s a really late bloomer. I thought he would be a better Capela
As has been said in this board a ton, bigs develop later. His per 36 numbers aren’t bad. And who cares about the previous years unless you’re seeing some crazy pattern of inconsistency that should frighten you?

All that said, he’s likely an average center with some upside as he shoots the 3 well and blocks shots.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP is different than other stars. He was president of the players association. He is as much of a general and leader as any player in recent memory. That said, he also obviously wears on guys, and having a CP grind day in and day out clearly has had an impact.

I wouldn't dismiss the short shelf life as all circumstance.
I wouldn't say he has a short shelf life but he undoubtedly wears thin on some of his coaches and teammates. More often than not though it's been fixable, at least band-aid fixable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he has a short shelf life but he undoubtedly wears thin on some of his coaches and teammates. More often than not though it's been fixable, at least band-aid fixable.

That makes more sense and I can agree with it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm getting a really bad feeling that we're going to trade Ayton for pennies on the dollar, hoping I'm wrong. How have we so badly screwed things up with a 24 year old potential superstar? Just so incredibly frustrating.

How can we possibly compete for a championship in our limited window without Ayton + upgrades?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish people would respect people on this board as much as they respect Woj's opinions...

It doesn't matter if several teams value Ayton as a max player. Doesn't mean anything if they can't pony up the money. Boston may say they Ayton has max value, but so what? They aren't going to sign or trade for him, so they can say whatever they want--doesn't affect their bottom line.
Exactly. We've got people saying "the market has spoken" which is Shirley a little premature (And stop calling me Shirley), but then you have others replying that if there were more teams with the room to sign him it would be different. That's not the market though, is it?

I actually believe JJ and the gang has handled this perfectly. I like hearing positive news from the media as much as the next guy. At this point I just like hearing Phoenix Suns mentioned from time to time. But overall I disagree with what comes out of her mouth about 2/3 of the time and I wonder if they ever watch a game that doesn't involve the Lakers or the nets.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude this came from a Washington Wizards insider. LOL. This would be such a bad trade.

Claxton (Center) - 9 PPG / 5 Rebounds.
Joe Harris (SF/PF) - 11 PPG / 4 rebounds
Cam Thomas (SG) - 8.5 PPG / 1.2 Assists

What a joke.

I mean... I think people would burn down the Suns arena with that deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a really bad feeling that we're going to trade Ayton for pennies on the dollar, hoping I'm wrong. How have we so badly screwed things up with a 24 year old potential superstar? Just so incredibly frustrating.

How can we possibly compete for a championship in our limited window without Ayton + upgrades?
First you have to believe Ayton is a future Superstar. I think many people are not convinced. Second, it depends. I mean, if you could parlay Ayton into a starting PF and legit back up PG that might be enough. I don't think Center is essential for a title in the NBA any longer. I have said from day one that if the Suns trading Ayton doesn't result in a better roster? Trading him makes no sense. With the Suns cap situation there is not a ton of moves you can make to improve the roster. Ayton is your best bet in a sign and trade.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of negative news flying around NBA Twitter right now about the Suns and Ayton.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With stuff like that floating around, I don't see how he ends up staying here.

For the record I think that is a stupid statement, there are only 2 centers in the league better than Ayton in my view.
To be fair, Windhorst is a bit of a blowhard.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With stuff like that floating around, I don't see how he ends up staying here.

For the record I think that is a stupid statement, there are only 2 centers in the league better than Ayton in my view.

They are going to build around a broken 37 year old Chris Paul and it’s going to be a disaster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are going to build around a broken 37 year old Chris Paul and it’s going to be a disaster.
Agreed. The only way I do that is if it’s a Durant-like opportunity. Otherwise it’s the turkoglu/warrick/Childress silliness again. But this time the outgoing guy isn’t an aging microfractured dude.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
First you have to believe Ayton is a future Superstar.
I said "has the potential". Words matter. At worst, he's #3 for me, behind Embiid and Jokic at C.
I mean, if you could parlay Ayton into a starting PF and legit back up PG that might be enough.
I'd love to hear some realistic options. Please present some, because I haven't seen anything of interest yet. Perhaps Poetl/Murray, but I'd want more than that. (I also don't like Poetl)
I don't think Center is essential for a title in the NBA any longer.
Our center was an essential piece to taking us within 2 wins of a ring. Sure, you don't NEED a dominant center to win a ring, but that shouldn't be the reason you give up on DA.
I have said from day one that if the Suns trading Ayton doesn't result in a better roster? Trading him makes no sense.
Agree here.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Again, this doesn't address the issue of who? All the current cap space is publicly available. There are only two teams Knicks and Orlando that have the kind of room to make an offer sheet. WOJ seems to be alluding to sign and trade scenarios only. Even then? The deal MUST clear enough cap space to make a Max deal work for the team getting him and the Suns can only take so much back in salary.

Unless he has some insider info on a team that has put together a plausible package? Skeptical.

Can I still hope for a KD trade?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Again, this doesn't address the issue of who? All the current cap space is publicly available. There are only two teams Knicks and Orlando that have the kind of room to make an offer sheet. WOJ seems to be alluding to sign and trade scenarios only. Even then? The deal MUST clear enough cap space to make a Max deal work for the team getting him and the Suns can only take so much back in salary.

Something doesn't add up here unless there is a team that has told him they are in the process of making a deal to clear room.
To me, this looks like the standard that happens every offseason. Agent (or teams) floats things to drive up the price.

The Suns WANT another team to offer him a contract. It makes their decision easy. So float that the Suns aren't really willing to sign him to a high dollar contract and other teams won't be so reluctant to offer one. This is all a game. Whether it's the Suns floating rumors or Bill Duffy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose