The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe now the Knicks are the only team left that could offer Ayton the most money on an offer sheet even close to what he wants. The Knicks are going for Brunson. Sounds like to me ALL teams are out in terms of an offer sheet.
Did you catch the new Flex podcast

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams and owners are only hurting themselves in the long run handing out max contracts to non-max players. DA is not a max player (yet), he needs to prove it 1st which he has not

Even if the Suns have to slightly overpay for Ayton, it's better than letting him walk.

He has proven he is a near max player plus he still has upside.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Wife just showed me something that said Ayton was traded for Myles Turner of Indiana - not sure if rumor or confirmed?

Edit: not seeing anything that would suggest this is more than just conjecture.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife just showed me something that said Ayton was traded for Myles Turner of Indiana - not sure if rumor or confirmed?
He can’t be traded unless he signs and traded and that can’t technically happen until tomorrow.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix doesn’t value Ayton as a max player, but several teams in the NBA do- Woj right now on sports center

This is going to be a joke I can feel it coming.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix doesn’t value Ayton as a max player, but several teams in the NBA do- Woj right now on sports center

Then the other teams better pony up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I believe now the Knicks are the only team left that could offer Ayton the most money on an offer sheet even close to what he wants. The Knicks are going for Brunson. Sounds like to me ALL teams are out in terms of an offer sheet.
Ayton for Randle. He averaged 25/10/6 two years ago and he’s under contract for 3 more years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Ayton should play for the qualifying offer this would be the worst case scenario much like Jalen Smith being a lame duck player.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my bold predicition, Ayton signs a 2 or 3 year at the Max. Its win win if he really wants out, he plays hard to woo his next suitor, we have enough in trade salary without adding anything to get rid of him.

Ayton was right, if the Suns let him stuff the stat sheet, he would have gotten offers no matter what we said about matching. IDK why they make him play defense so far from the rim to limit his defensive ability for us, and I also don't know why when you have someone shooting 70 percent in games, you don't feed him the ball 20 times a game! I get he turns the ball over on some entry passes which lower his real shooting percentage, but man, stats are stats.
Ayton's knocking down 70% of his shots and but his coach Monty has him at top of key setting high picks for 1)Booker, 2)non rebounding power forward Crowder, & 3)slim defensive but inconsistent offense forward Bridges to shoot 3's and they aren't hitting at 70%. He should have had Ayton down low more for some low post scoring & rebounds to maximize Ayton's talent and still use the picks too. But my guess is the cheap Suns knew they better keep Ayton's number down to offer a cheap contract and point to Ayton's not worth a Max. But they never got to offer that cheap contract as Ayton wanted a Max.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton for Randle. He averaged 25/10/6 two years ago and he’s under contract for 3 more years.

There are much worse trades out there. I've seen Randle play with fire but he can't carry a team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then the other teams better pony up.

It’s not about that. If he signs with a team then you have to take what that team wants to give you

If you match and hold him hostage then you have a lame duck situation in the locker room.

The way this has been handled is amateur hour at its finest

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't get this take at all. All the teams that could have been involved in a sign and trade backed away. That doesn't scream several teams. The only team that seemingly put forward a serious gesture was Detroit and they were not offering a Superstar in return but then backed away after their draft. So, in essence they went with a rookie overpaying Ayton the max.

The Knicks are the only team left with enough cap room to sign Ayton to an offer sheet for close to what he is asking for and they are clearing that space for Brunson. I ask again. Who are these teams?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get this take at all. All the teams that could have been involved in a sign and trade backed away. That doesn't scream several teams. The only team that seemingly put forward a serious gesture was Detroit and they were not offering a Superstar in return but then backed away after their draft. So, in essence they went with a rookie overpaying Ayton the max.

The Knicks are the only team left with enough cap room to sign Ayton to an offer sheet and they are clearing space for Brunson. I ask again. Who are these teams?

I think your projecting what you hope will happen.

I would think Woj knows what he’s talking about and wouldn’t go on TV saying it if he wasn’t hearing things

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not about that. If he signs with a team then you have to take what that team wants to give you

If you match and hold him hostage then you have a lame duck situation in the locker room.

The way this has been handled is amateur hour at its finest

Remember any S&T negotiation has to happen before the other team signs him to an offer sheet. Once he signs the offer sheet, our only options are to match or to decline. A S&T is off the table once he officially signs with another team. Typically a player will announce his intent to sign with the other team to open trade negotiations, but not officially sign.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So is Woj giving any hints about what will happen with Ayton?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wish people would respect people on this board as much as they respect Woj's opinions...

It doesn't matter if several teams value Ayton as a max player. Doesn't mean anything if they can't pony up the money. Boston may say they Ayton has max value, but so what? They aren't going to sign or trade for him, so they can say whatever they want--doesn't affect their bottom line.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your projecting what you hope will happen.

I would think Woj knows what he’s talking about and wouldn’t go on TV saying it if he wasn’t hearing things
Your comment makes no sense. How am I projecting? I have no control over teams salary caps. There might be teams telling WOJ they think he is a max player but that doesn't translate into anything real world if you don't have cap space. I didn't question that there might team telling WOJ they think Ayton is a max player. However, it's easy to put your opinion out there with other people's money.

Who are these teams that have the cap space to make an offer sheet to Ayton?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember any S&T negotiation has to happen before the other team signs him to an offer sheet. Once he signs the offer sheet, our only options are to match or to decline. A S&T is off the table once he officially signs with another team. Typically a player will announce his intent to sign with the other team to open trade negotiations, but not officially sign.

Yeah I know how it works.

Hey I’m signing with so and so

Suns have 3 choices

a sign and trade for whatever they want to give you

Let him walk for nothing

Match and keep him

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Your comment makes no sense. How am I projecting? I have no control over teams salary caps. There might be teams telling WOJ they think he is a max player but that doesn't translate into anything real world if you don't have cap space.
Borg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose