The Ayton Plan

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's beginning to feel this way.

I have this nagging thought that Monty may have pulled the reins back on Chris Paul coaching up the team which may have cause a fissure. However, this is pure conjecture on my part.
I might have been seeing things, but at the end of the season I saw a couple occasions of guys seeming to ignore CP3.

some of them may have started to get tired of his talking.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the rumored Spurs Hawks trade is going down then I think the Spurs are out.
Well it is feeling like we are going to resign him to me now, however I am not sure if Ayton is going to hold resentment or not.

the blowup with Monty worries me quite a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have been seeing things, but at the end of the season I saw a couple occasions of guys seeming to ignore CP3.

some of them may have started to get tired of his talking.

Yeah, without additional information we can only guess but I viewed Paul's input as a plus.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think bottom line it's about the years. We want Ayton at 4 years. Even if a team signs him, it's still just a 4 year deal and we probably WILL match. No joking. If no one signs him and we get him for less, even better. I think that's the way the Suns see it. If Ayton feels they will do that, even though the qualifying offer is like a poison pill, he still makes 16 million. Then he signs wherever he wants.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
James Jones insists Deandre Ayton is a huge part of the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So I just read from the AZ Republic the Suns did NOT conduct individual player exit interviews due to Covid. They had a generalized Zoom meeting with the whole team. That's why Monty said he had not talked with Ayton when asked by reporters. It wasn't he was mad at Ayton, he probably didn't talk individually with 90 percent of the guys on the team at that time. I am betting Booker and CP3 probably called Monty direct before then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think bottom line it's about the years. We want Ayton at 4 years. Even if a team signs him, it's still just a 4 year deal and we probably WILL match. No joking. If no one signs him and we get him for less, even better. I think that's the way the Suns see it. If Ayton feels they will do that, even though the qualifying offer is like a poison pill, he still makes 16 million. Then he signs wherever he wants.

So are you thinking Ayton will play for the qualifying offer of $16 million and move on after this coming season?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So are you thinking Ayton will play for the qualifying offer of $16 million and move on after this coming season?
I do not think he will do that. He will test the market and the Suns will match and that will be that--unless they get a really good sign and trade offer. I am fine with bringing this same team back next year with a few minor improvements. We need to develop an heir to CP3. I do not mixing it up to get a guy who can fill that role.

I am fine with bringing Ayton back. He has not reached his max potential yet, and I think he will mature.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
-
We don’t know for sure but if the Suns offered the 4-year max what a mistake by Ayton and his team if they didn’t take.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my bold predicition, Ayton signs a 2 or 3 year at the Max. Its win win if he really wants out, he plays hard to woo his next suitor, we have enough in trade salary without adding anything to get rid of him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I hear in general guys never do that. There's only been one guy that worked for. I have been thinking all along the Suns were waiting to get that 4 year 30 million per year deal other teams can offer via free agency on the table and just match. Now I think they are trying the Bledsoe thing to try and get no teams to sign so maybe they can get 25 mil per year. Gambo keeps bringing up that number. I am wondering if it is from sources or not. I think Ayton only signs the 16 million qualifier if bridges really are burned between him and the Suns. I could see, if he's mad enough they didn't max him last year, and are now trying to get teams not to sign him, that he would be angry enough to take the 16 million and be done with us. I have no idea how he is thinking because his agents are smart and keep him off twitter!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think he will do that. He will test the market and the Suns will match and that will be that--unless they get a really good sign and trade offer. I am fine with bringing this same team back next year with a few minor improvements. We need to develop an heir to CP3. I do not mixing it up to get a guy who can fill that role.

I am fine with bringing Ayton back. He has not reached his max potential yet, and I think he will mature.

Another ball handler is probably the Suns biggest need.

I've been for keeping Ayton unless he only wants to play for the qualifying offer which seems unlikely.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
-
We don’t know for sure but if the Suns offered the 4-year max what a mistake by Ayton and his team if they didn’t take.
This is my understanding of what was offered. Ayton was quite confident he could get the 4 year max. He took the risk that the Suns would be willing to pay him more after this year. The Suns only risk is that he could take the QO and leave next year, which is not going to happen. I think they are very content to match whatever another team will offer him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think this is the most likely scenario, and I'm fine with that. People like to give DA ****.
If anyone has any trade that would make the team better by getting rid of DA speak up now, because besides Durant every trade anyone has mentioned so far looks like we should be stocking up on Vaseline.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is my understanding of what was offered. Ayton was quite confident he could get the 4 year max. He took the risk that the Suns would be willing to pay him more after this year. The Suns only risk is that he could take the QO and leave next year, which is not going to happen. I think they are very content to match whatever another team will offer him.
I think Ayton did gamble he could get that 5 year deal. I also think the Suns were sitting back in the driver's seat the whole time, too!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think this is the most likely scenario, and I'm fine with that. People like to give DA ****.
If anyone has any trade that would make the team better by getting rid of DA speak up now, because besides Durant every trade anyone has mentioned so far looks like we should be stocking up on Vaseline.
I am not seeing anything that makes us better, and it looks like most teams are moving on by making moves already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton did gamble he could get that 5 year deal. I also think the Suns were sitting back in the driver's seat the whole time, too!

I'd still like to get Ayton on a 5 year deal less than the max.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As a free agent I think we have zero chance of getting Tyus. We just don't have the cap space to give him the contract he will likely land. :confused:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd still like to get Ayton on a 5 year deal less than the max.
IDK why the Suns want a 4 year. They didn't pick up his rookie year 5th. Maybe there's a long term salary implication down the road that having him on a 4 year helps us? IDK. The Suns seem intent on the 4 year thing for him. I agree if we get like 25 mil per year, hell yeah sign me up for five years!

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Balls in the Suns court.
If I was DA I would sign that qualifying offer with a HUGE grin on my face.
Scare the stuffing out of all those TOOLS playing games in the front office, make them think you have something lined up and then CRIPPLE them financially for the next 5 to 10 years.
But that's just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave