The Suns are meeting with NBA prospects thread. 2022

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mostly remember Melton being a part of the Josh Jackson trade with Memphis. The Grizzlies wanted him to be included.

James Jones was in rebuild mode at the time so the Suns were not overly picky in getting deals done. I liked Melton more than Carter but a lot of fans were high on Jevon.

Speaking of Carter, he did get some burn in this years playoffs while being on the Bucks. Last year with the sun, we know how that went.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Carter, he did get some burn in this years playoffs while being on the Bucks. Last year with the sun, we know how that went.

Yeah I saw some talk from Bucks fans thinking Jevon could have helped them more, similar to the Holiday talk by Suns fans. They felt they could have gotten past Milwaukee if Bud had used Carter more.

Fans like players that play all out. It gives a false impression that they're difference makers. Kelly Oubre is one of those guys, IMO. He was adored here because he was always doing something, it didn't matter if it was gambling on D or taking bad shots that disrupted the offense. The activity gives off a sense of effort that is appreciated. I think we saw that last year with Torrey Craig also, he didn't have the same spark this year though.

Those guys play all out for various reasons but rarely does it effect the outcome of the game. The effort is needed because they generally lack the talent that others in the league have. Look at Ayton, he's the opposite of that but his numbers dwarf all of those mentioned combined.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add this tweet about Marcus Weathers here as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I stumbled across this video. Apparently there are a few videos from a year ago of Monty praising this kid. He doesn't appear to be projected to be drafted. This is the first I heard of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across this video. Apparently there are a few videos from a year ago of Monty praising this kid. He doesn't appear to be projected to be drafted. This is the first I heard of him.

I like the way this guy moves. Also he looks solid on defense in the video.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They are saying in another video he could be an undrafted signing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was rumored to be coming to the US for college a couple of years ago but it never happened. He went undrafted and will likely go back to the NBL in New Zealand.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was rumored to be coming to the US for college a couple of years ago but it never happened. He went undrafted and will likely go back to the NBL in New Zealand.
He's got a passionate Filipino fan base online that were really pumping him up, so I was surprised when was not projected to be drafted. Hopefully he can make his way to the NBA at some point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got a passionate Filipino fan base online that were really pumping him up, so I was surprised when was not projected to be drafted. Hopefully he can make his way to the NBA at some point.

I forget where but he was playing in the US for a bit a couple of years ago I think it was on some AAU team and colleges were looking at him but then he went back home and then NZ.

He's filled out from that video was really skinny when younger.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Would have loved to see him join the NBA G League team Ignite. I wonder why he turned down the invite. He definitely be drafted if he had.

It looks like he turned do Summer League invites.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would have loved to see him join the NBA G League team Ignite. I wonder why he turned down the invite. He definitely be drafted if he had.

It looks like he turned do Summer League invites.

Could someone just sign him?

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I think they are trying via summer league tryouts and his agent is said no to alll offers and he'll return to overseas play.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 2022 but a name to watch for in 2023 is emerging in UCLA C Adem Bona. He's Nigerian but grew up in Turkey and is currently playing for the Turkish team in the U20 event. averaging 16 PPG 10 boards and 2 blocks. 6'9" 7'4" reach and he's freaky athletic. He broke the UCLA basketball record for highest vertical touch, the only Bruin to go higher was some walkon volleyball player a few years ago. Bona runs like the wind, he's very laterally quick and very quick off his feet. With coaching he's going to be a really good defensive player.

Offense is raw but he has good hands, dunks everything near the rim, and has a decent FT stroke his shot is not broke as the scouts say. He will foul out of games I'm sure and he will be up and down but very impressed so far.

We knew he was going to be good but at least so far first impression is he's better than anybody thought he'd be and he's being projected top 10 now based off his performances so far in the U20. Good and bad was hoping he'd be at UCLA for 2 years but at this point looks like 1 and done is pretty likely.

Some highlights from the first game in the U20.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 2022 but a name to watch for in 2023 is emerging in UCLA C Adem Bona. He's Nigerian but grew up in Turkey and is currently playing for the Turkish team in the U20 event. averaging 16 PPG 10 boards and 2 blocks. 6'9" 7'4" reach and he's freaky athletic. He broke the UCLA basketball record for highest vertical touch, the only Bruin to go higher was some walkon volleyball player a few years ago. Bona runs like the wind, he's very laterally quick and very quick off his feet. With coaching he's going to be a really good defensive player.

Offense is raw but he has good hands, dunks everything near the rim, and has a decent FT stroke his shot is not broke as the scouts say. He will foul out of games I'm sure and he will be up and down but very impressed so far.

We knew he was going to be good but at least so far first impression is he's better than anybody thought he'd be and he's being projected top 10 now based off his performances so far in the U20. Good and bad was hoping he'd be at UCLA for 2 years but at this point looks like 1 and done is pretty likely.

Very impressive.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I have the weirdest Bona right now.

Seriously, Ayton should watch tape of this guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the weirdest Bona right now.

Seriously, Ayton should watch tape of this guy.

The funny thing is my gf's sister married a guy whose last name is Bona. He's Filipino, he has 2 brothers so a big family and most of them are big basketball fans, mostly Kings fans living in Sacramento. When I told him there was a kid named Bona going to UCLA to play hoops he didn't believe me until I showed him the pics. now we all joke he's their Nigerian cousin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen teh game yet but apparently Bona had 18 points 16 boards and 3 blocks in a win over Ukraine today. 9-11 from the field.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose