Suns Off-season Thread

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You say jettisoning, I say escaping. He's too me oriented and frankly, who wants to pay an inefficient wing 20+ million a year to lead you to a 23 win season? He's a good role player who thinks he's a star, that's a bad mix IMO.
DET did last year, they knew what they were getting. They overpaid because no one wants to go there. They would have been better off keeping Wood than signing Grant.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chris Paul goes to the Nets?
I was thinking about that, Paul is at least a adequate replacement for Irving which is better than getting nothing if he leaves. Hell I wouldn't even want to extend Irving, just let him play out next year and reap the cap space from getting out of his and Paul's contract. Use that money on another star.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DET did last year, they knew what they were getting. They overpaid because no one wants to go there. They would have been better off keeping Wood than signing Grant.
They took a gamble, now they know what they got and apparently they don't want it any longer. And I agree on signing Wood over Jerami.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that, Paul is at least a adequate replacement for Irving which is better than getting nothing if he leaves. Hell I wouldn't even want to extend Irving, just let him play out next year and reap the cap space from getting out of his and Paul's contract. Use that money on another star.

I was just toying with the idea of Irving coming to Phoenix which seems highly unlikely. Of course I didn't think Chris Paul was coming here either.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was just toying with the idea of Irving coming to Phoenix which seems highly unlikely. Of course I didn't think Chris Paul was coming here either.
I know you were joking but if Irving and BKY can't patch things up they may want to deal him but then he could opt out and screw them over. The problem with him opting out is no contender has cap space to offer him a max deal. I am worried LAL find a way out of Westbrook's contract and find a way to sign a big name like Irving or Beal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you were joking but if Irving and BKY can't patch things up they may want to deal him but then he could opt out and screw them over. The problem with him opting out is no contender has cap space to offer him a max deal. I am worried LAL find a way out of Westbrook's contract and find a way to sign a big name like Irving or Beal.

That's a real concern about another team helping the Lakers move Westbrook. There always seems to be a team willing to make a bad move.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's a real concern about another team helping the Lakers move Westbrook. There always seems to be a team willing to make a bad move.
I read NO may be interested in taking Westbrook's deal and waiving him. But I believe LAL would have to take Hayward's deal in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns could buy a second round pick it would be like them to draft Andrew Nembhard. He seems like a Ty Jerome type player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the sound of James Jones the Suns are not going to do anything rash to get into this draft. He sounded disinterested.
To me this makes sense for two reasons. One the draft isn’t very good. Two if James Jones is in win now mode with CP3? Also, makes sense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even without Paul, or Irving's, salary the Suns would be capped out if they retain Ayton. So there really wouldn't be money to bring in another star in free agency if he opted out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the sound of James Jones the Suns are not going to do anything rash to get into this draft. He sounded disinterested.
To me this makes sense for two reasons. One the draft isn’t very good. Two if James Jones is in win now mode with CP3? Also, makes sense.

James Jones sounded the same way at last season's trade deadline and he still made a couple of moves.

Looking at behavior, he seems interested in acquiring a draft pick or doing a trade of some sort.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones sounded the same way at last season's trade deadline and he still made a couple of moves.

Looking at behavior, he seems interested in acquiring a draft pick or doing a trade of some sort.
He mentioned only 5 people on his draft board and we know who visited. Those guys will be gone. Unless it's trading some dead weight on the roster not sure who he trades. It sounds like he isn't going to give up anything close to a Cam level for a draft pick which means it won't be a great pick. Not unless it involves a package as part of an Ayton deal. I don't anticipate any major moves here or any reason to get excited about the draft unless it involves a blockbuster trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He mentioned only 5 people on his draft board and we know who visited. Those guys will be gone. Unless it's trading some dead weight on the roster not sure who he trades. It sounds like he isn't going to give up anything close to a Cam level for a draft pick which means it won't be a great pick. Not unless it involves a package as part of an Ayton deal. I don't anticipate any major moves here or any reason to get excited about the draft unless it involves a blockbuster trade.

I'm not expecting any major moves either.

Do you have a link to the part in bold?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones is good, has been smart about most things; except the Shamet extension and lack of for Stix.

He will likely make some lateral moves; same caliber/salary, but younger.

We will likely move Crowder to get more versatile and younger. Shamet could be a piece to upgrade as well.

Move some near dead weight like Craig, Saric.

I think Ayton is going Jeremi Grant on us, so we may see a new center and pf come on board.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also had seen something similar posted via Twitter. I will have to find that but there is also this. So, I wonder if it's a sentiment people are hearing.

Yeah, James Jones draft board would surprise us all.

I do not like excluding so many players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is good, has been smart about most things; except the Shamet extension and lack of for Stix.

He will likely make some lateral moves; same caliber/salary, but younger.

We will likely move Crowder to get more versatile and younger. Shamet could be a piece to upgrade as well.

Move some near dead weight like Craig, Saric.

I think Ayton is going Jeremi Grant on us, so we may see a new center and pf come on board.

We will probably be adding Ayton to the list.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
James Jones is gonna be considered skinny Steve Keim in short order. Keim covered some bad moves with a lopsided Carson Palmer trade. Jones is gonna cover up Ayton, Stix, Shamet and others with the Chris Paul deal. Once the deal with the Devil expires, Jones won’t be looking so good

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is gonna be considered skinny Steve Keim in short order. Keim covered some bad moves with a lopsided Carson Palmer trade. Jones is gonna cover up Ayton, Stix, Shamet and others with the Chris Paul deal. Once the deal with the Devil expires, Jones won’t be looking so good
Considering where James Jones has taken this team in his short tenure, I don't think it's fair. Considering our playoff drought, a run to the finals and even though disappointing our regular season performance? Jones easily is the best GM this team has had in a long-time bar none.

He is allowed to make mistakes. Let's see how this all plays out but let's not forget the totality of what he has done so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose