Robert Quinn available

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wonder if all the other teams simply have not blocked the Cards' front office number on their phones at this point... while Keim is frantically getting new numbers which they add to the solicitor list lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jones signed a $51M contract for 3 years and $17M per year. Didn't the Bears sign Quinn for $70M with a $3M signing bonus and $30M guaranteed? I'm not a cap person but I would think the Bears would have to eat the $30M amount leaving $40M over remaining 3 years ($13M/year). Seems like a decent deal compared to Jones contract.
Quinn would cost 12.9, 14, 13 over the remainder of his contract. He is 32 years old and coming off his 2nd double digit sack season in the past 7 years.

Jones costs the Raiders 7.8, 19.4, 19.4 over the next 3 years. He is also 32 yards old and coming off his 6th double digit sack season in the past 7 years.

Chandler knew the system, and Quinn would not. Chandler would not have cost draft picks to sign and Quinn would.

So yes, there would be cost savings but we already are strapped to find ways to fill out our roster moving forward and giving up the draft picks we have to acquire expensive and old edge players who may or may not fit our system isn't really a great strategy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Quinn would cost 12.9, 14, 13 over the remainder of his contract. He is 32 years old and coming off his 2nd double digit sack season in the past 7 years.

Jones costs the Raiders 7.8, 19.4, 19.4 over the next 3 years. He is also 32 yards old and coming off his 6th double digit sack season in the past 7 years.

Chandler knew the system, and Quinn would not. Chandler would not have cost draft picks to sign and Quinn would.

So yes, there would be cost savings but we already are strapped to find ways to fill out our roster moving forward and giving up the draft picks we have to acquire expensive and old edge players who may or may not fit our system isn't really a great strategy.

Sometimes it's better to go the cheaper route. If the collection of Gardeck, Thomas, Kennard, and Sanders can match Jones' sacks, it's a win.

I'd rather look at a center and CB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to go the cheaper route. If the collection of Gardeck, Thomas, Kennard, and Sanders can match Jones' sacks, it's a win.

I'd rather look at a center and CB.
I also think it goes to what seems to be Bidwill's spending directive which is apparently "don't spend as I am going to have to cut a fat check for Kyler".

Ultimately outside of DL and C (depending on Hudson), I am good to take this roster into the season and see what happens. The NFC is pretty crappy right now so what we have this year is good enough to compete if Kyler can play like he will be getting paid. And, if he can't, we are stuck overpaying him and will be a fringe playoff team for the entirety of his contract.

Our roster issues are less 2022 and more 2023.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I also think it goes to what seems to be Bidwill's spending directive which is apparently "don't spend as I am going to have to cut a fat check for Kyler".

Ultimately outside of DL and C (depending on Hudson), I am good to take this roster into the season and see what happens. The NFC is pretty crappy right now so what we have this year is good enough to compete if Kyler can play like he will be getting paid. And, if he can't, we are stuck overpaying him and will be a fringe playoff team for the entirety of his contract.

What sucks Chopper is that the NFC appears crappy right now and it does not appear the Cards are capable of going all out to take advantage of that for whatever reason past bad drafts and player snafus (insert D-Hop and Hudson)... oops, those are the reasons lol

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

Like almost no starting OL under contract :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What sucks Chopper is that the NFC appears crappy right now and it does not appear the Cards are capable of going all out to take advantage of that for whatever reason past bad drafts and player snafus (insert D-Hop and Hudson)... oops, those are the reasons lol
If Kyler is good, he should cover some of the roster holes vs NFC teams. But this is what makes a top QB. Can you be competitive with average talent.

I still think 9 wins is the number unless things go off the rails.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Kyler is good, he should cover some of the roster holes vs NFC teams.
A QB is not going to cover a lack of pass rush, lack of defending the run, & a lack of coverage.

Herbert is a tier above Kyler, probably even two, but that didn’t stop the Chargers from missing the playoffs despite brilliant play from Herbert for most of the season.

A QB is not going to cover up massive defensive holes.

And I honestly think you’re being generous with “average” talent.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
If Kyler is good, he should cover some of the roster holes vs NFC teams. But this is what makes a top QB. Can you be competitive with average talent.

I still think 9 wins is the number unless things go off the rails.
I am looking at seven wins because I think the interior of our OL is going to be that bad while our DL is going to let teams run on us at will, setting them up to do whatever they want. I do not think Kyler, no matter if he's Mighty Mouse, can overcome a team which is pathetic on the DL/OL. Football is still a physical sport, and it starts upfront. The play at the trenches are going to have to prove to me they are at least average for me to think otherwise

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A QB is not going to cover a lack of pass rush, lack of defending the run, & a lack of coverage.

Herbert is a tier above Kyler, probably even two, but that didn’t stop the Chargers from missing the playoffs despite brilliant play from Herbert for most of the season.

Against good QBs, we are going to struggle to stop anyone. We have eight games against pretty garbage QBs, four of those in our own division. That is something Kyler should be able to overcome because those defenses aren't great either. He might have to win some shoot-outs but top QBs are asked to do that. Outside of Hudson our line is largely the same. Our weapons at WR are better, TE is better, and RB slightly worse. No reason for Kyler not to be able to move the ball outside top pass rushing fronts.

Vs the Broncos. raiders, Vikings and Chiefs, those defenses shouldn't care Kyler either and again, he will have to put up points but there isn't a reason he shouldn't.

I might change my mind depending on the direction the Cardinals go if Hudson never returns, but for right now, we are heavy on offensive talent and will just need our young QB to take a step.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am looking at seven wins because I think the interior of our OL is going to be that bad while our DL is going to let teams run on us at will, setting them up to do whatever they want. I do not think Kyler, no matter if he's Mighty Mouse, can overcome a team which is pathetic on the DL/OL. Football is still a physical sport, and it starts upfront. The play at the trenches are going to have to prove to me they are at least average for me to think otherwise
Hudson is a mystery, true. But Ill Hernandez is not going to be worse than what we trotted on the field last year at RG. The rest of the group is the same. Better weapons almost all the way around. Hell, compare our personnel to the Chiefs. Loads better. If the gap between Kyler and Pat is that big, might think twice about paying him a similar amount.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Against good QBs, we are going to struggle to stop anyone.
Even against average QBs, it will be a struggle.
We have eight games against pretty garbage QBs, four of those in our own division. That is something Kyler should be able to overcome because those defenses aren't great either. He might have to win some shoot-outs but top QBs are asked to do that.
This is not good logic to me. I will slander Kyler hard if Kyler plays bad and is the main culprit in losses. I will not slander Kyler if he goes out and has a 4/0 350+ yard game, but still resulting in losses because our talentless defense couldn't stop anybody, whether that is Tom Brady or Drew Lock.
Outside of Hudson our line is largely the same.
If Hudson retires, we're much worse at both C and RG. So, no, it is not the same.
Our weapons at WR are better
Despite Hopkins missing 6 games, not fully convinced if Hollywood is that much better than Kirk, if at all, and not knowing if Rondale was under-utilized or just a injury prone gadget-guy.
TE is better
I will say it is real worrying that Eagles reached a higher level offensively once they traded Ertz. TEs take a while to hit their stride so I'm not expecting much out of McBride.
Vs the Broncos. raiders, Vikings and Chiefs, those defenses shouldn't care Kyler either and again, he will have to put up points but there isn't a reason he shouldn't.
The much bigger problem is our defense against their offenses. At full health, our defense would rank last compared all of theirs. I can see a bunch of vs. Miami Dolphins 2020 repeats.
I might change my mind depending on the direction the Cardinals go if Hudson never returns, but for right now, we are heavy on offensive talent and will just need our young QB to take a step.
Kyler can take a step all he wants too. Hell, Kyler can play like a top 5 QB the whole season and I'm still afraid this team won't make the playoffs cause it's so talent-deficient in so many places. Can easily see this team being the 2021 Chargers.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Hudson is a mystery, true. But Ill Hernandez is not going to be worse than what we trotted on the field last year at RG. The rest of the group is the same. Better weapons almost all the way around. Hell, compare our personnel to the Chiefs. Loads better. If the gap between Kyler and Pat is that big, might think twice about paying him a similar amount.
Yeah, you're probably right but after being a Cardinal fan for so long, this off season is just too bizzaro world for me to be rosy about what I see. The catch with Kyler is do we really have an option since these escalating contracts are the nature of the beast and even drafting an average QB (at least for this franchise) is a chore

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hudson is a mystery, true. But Ill Hernandez is not going to be worse than what we trotted on the field last year at RG.
He has been worse for the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be confident in this statement.
Better weapons almost all the way around. Hell, compare our personnel to the Chiefs. Loads better.
Chiefs' OLine takes a crap on our OLine and Kelce would be the best pass-catcher on our team. Juju also won't be playing with washed up rapist anymore and at his best, he is much better than Hollywood.

I think you and a few others are underrated KC on offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Even against average QBs, it will be a struggle.

This is not good logic to me. I will slander Kyler hard if Kyler plays bad and is the main culprit in losses. I will not slander Kyler if he goes out and has a 4/0 350+ yard game, but still resulting in losses because our talentless defense couldn't stop anybody, whether that is Tom Brady or Drew Lock.

If Hudson retires, we're much worse at both C and RG. So, no, it is not the same.

Despite Hopkins missing 6 games, not fully convinced if Hollywood is that much better than Kirk, if at all, and not knowing if Rondale was under-utilized or just a injury prone gadget-guy.

I will say it is real worrying that Eagles reached a higher level offensively once they traded Ertz. TEs take a while to hit their stride so I'm not expecting much out of McBride.

The much bigger problem is our defense against their offenses. At full health, our defense would rank last compared all of theirs. I can see a bunch of vs. Miami Dolphins 2020 repeats.

Kyler can take a step all he wants too. Hell, Kyler can play like a top 5 QB the whole season and I'm still afraid this team won't make the playoffs cause it's so talent-deficient in so many places. Can easily see this team being the 2021 Chargers.
You speak of our defense like it is going to be significantly worse than last year but outside of Chandler Jones and Jordan Hicks, who did we lose? Personally, I think the loss of Jones will be impactful but not top 15 to bottom 5 difference. Hicks...meh. Nick Vigil can be a similar player. Secondary is all coming back. Kingsley Keke should give us better production than Jordan Phillips.

I don't believe we will have a great defense by any stretch but our bend don't break scheme will keep it from being terrible.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He has been worse for the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be confident in this statement.

Chiefs' OLine takes a crap on our OLine and Kelce would be the best pass-catcher on our team. Juju also won't be playing with washed up rapist anymore and at his best, he is much better than Hollywood.

I think you and a few others are underrated KC on offense.
The offensive line, Kelce and Pat are the difference. But that said, teams are going to play the Chiefs very differently without Tyreek. Maybe MVS can help but if he wasn't productive with Rodgers, how much better will he be with Mahomes? They have zero running game. They are counting on Mahomes to adapt and make some below average players better behind a very good offensive line. Defense is still trash.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s a GAP as you put it between HCs a huge gap!

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
A OL is only as good as its weakest link and if that happens to be center, then our OL will be a pond for cluster ducks

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'd give Herbert a tier above but I cant put him two tiers above. Herbert entered the league with 2 1000 yard wrs and a pass offense old man Rivers put up 4600 yards the year before.

Herbert's better, but Im not sure he'd be that much on our team without Hopkins/worse Oline.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You speak of our defense like it is going to be significantly worse than last year but outside of Chandler Jones and Jordan Hicks, who did we lose? Personally, I think the loss of Jones will be impactful but not top 15 to bottom 5 difference. Hicks...meh. Nick Vigil can be a similar player. Secondary is all coming back. Kingsley Keke should give us better production than Jordan Phillips.

I don't believe we will have a great defense by any stretch but our bend don't break scheme will keep it from being terrible.
I’ve reviewed a few games and it looks to me like Jones was more a threat than a factor in most of them. He got his share of pressures, but he was not the same force he’d been in the past. I think the Cards have a reasonable chance to create almost as much pressure and maybe even more balance against the run. Actually despite his being weak against the pass, I’m afraid the Cards may feel the loss of Hicks more than the loss of Jones unless Collins takes a big step forward.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve reviewed a few games and it looks to me like Jones was more a threat than a factor in most of them. He got his share of pressures, but he was not the same force he’d been in the past. I think the Cards have a reasonable chance to create almost as much pressure and maybe even more balance against the run. Actually despite his being weak against the pass, I’m afraid the Cards may feel the loss of Hicks more than the loss of Jones unless Collins takes a big step forward.

People seem to forget we had as many sacks when CJ was out for the year as we did when he wasn't, and more than last year with him back.

We averaged 3 over sacks per game in 2020 with him out, and only 2.3 per game last year.

I'm not saying were going to easily replace him and it's nothing, but also it's not the hand wringing event some make out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People seem to forget we had as many sacks when CJ was out for the year as we did when he wasn't, and more than last year with him back.

We averaged 3 over sacks per game in 2020 with him out, and only 2.3 per game last year.

I'm not saying were going to easily replace him and it's nothing, but also it's not the hand wringing event some make out.
You seem to forget we also had Reddick who got double digit sacks in back-to-back seasons, so he had more talent than anyone else in the edge for us this year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You seem to forget we also had Reddick who got double digit sacks in back-to-back seasons, so he had more talent than anyone else in the edge for us this year.
I don’t think he even forgot, tbh. I think he’s doing that on purpose.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose