Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You might not "feel" that they lost much, but Von Miller was really good for them and Whitworth won most battles.

They struggled to get a consistent pass rush before trading for Von.

They also lost Darrious Williams, and the rest of their corners not named Ramsey, sucked.
LA opted to re-sign their core instead of paying $20M a year for a 33 year old Miller to which if they need a pass rusher they can do what they've done the last couple of years and trade for a major piece they need.

They lost Williams but got Troy Hill back from CLE so wash.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LA opted to re-sign their core instead of paying $20M a year for a 33 year old Miller to which if they need a pass rusher they can do what they've done the last couple of years and trade for a major piece they need.
And Miller was damn good and they have no comparable replacement on their roster. It's essentially the same cast of characters they had before they traded for Miller. It's a stretch to just say they can find a player like that every year....and they don't really have much draft capital to make that trade either.
They lost Williams but got Troy Hill back from CLE so wash.
Williams is an outside corner, Hill is a slot corner. Different positions. David Long was awful last year and their other corners were even worse.

Whitworth>Noteboom by a good margin. Look at how Whitworth dominated Chandler Jones in all three meetings last year.

Is Robinson>OBJ? Maybe...but he hasn't played like that for a few years now.

They are also replacing Corbett who is a good guard with a UDFA/late round guard with no experience.

They also lost Sebastian-Day who was really good for them.

Overall, they've lost quite a bit more than they've gained, but at the end of the day, the play of a few players (Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, and Kupp) are going to dictate how their season goes....but I don't know if they can remain the 5th healthiest team in the league for another year either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, and despite some on here assertation, the Bidwill's don't have a quarter Billion in cash sitting around to pay upfront bonuses like that. Kroenke does.
It's comical that people on this board act like Bidwill can replicate the spending of true billionaires, billionaires that would be billionaires even if they didn't own an NFL team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's comical that people on this board act like Bidwill can replicate the spending of true billionaires, billionaires that would be billionaires even if they didn't own an NFL team.
The debate is clearly circular. Bidwills could easily spend $300M on signing bonuses if they leveraged some of their assets. They clearly don't want to, and I understand why they don't. I'm not sure I would either. But again, it is a choice whether to do so or not.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The debate is clearly circular. Bidwills could easily spend $300M on signing bonuses if they leveraged some of their assets. They clearly don't want to, and I understand why they don't. I'm not sure I would either. But again, it is a choice whether to do so or not.
What assets other than the Cardinals can they leverage?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What else do they need?
So you’re asking them to borrow 300 million against their only asset versus an owner like Kroenke that can just pay it from today’s cash flow.

If you can’t see the difference in the ability to pay and raise that type of capital. One team would be borrowing while the other would just be using cash sitting around.

Huge difference there

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
are the rams treating their salary cap in a way that they are going to be in cap hell in future years? kind of like an "all in" move? crazy how they just keep adding 100 million dollar contracts left and right

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re asking them to borrow 300 million against their only asset versus an owner like Kroenke that can just pay it from today’s cash flow.

If you can’t see the difference in the ability to pay and raise that type of capital. One team would be borrowing while the other would just be using cash sitting around.

Huge difference there
Yep. That is exactly what I am asking. They can easily do so if the wanted to. It is the entire point I, and others are making. It is a choice for them to do it or not.

Furthermore, the price of what franchises are worth are growing exponentially, just like the salary cap. The more time goes by, the less than amount borrowed towards their asset. Do they have to borrow 300M? Nope, but they could do it for one or two signings...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And people are making it seem like we want the Bidwills to sign six players to massive deals to improve the team like the Rams. That’s crap. We would have settled for ONE major impact signing or restructure. We literally got ZERO while losing talent elsewhere.

It’s okay… the second they do hand out contracts like other teams those same people will say they’re now able to… just like when they all changed their tune when we traded for Hollywood.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And people are making it seem like we want the Bidwills to sign six players to massive deals to improve the team like the Rams. That’s crap. We would have settled for ONE major impact signing or restructure. We literally got ZERO while losing talent elsewhere.

It’s okay… the second they do hand out contracts like other teams those same people will say they’re now able to… just like when they all changed their tune when we traded for Hollywood.
Exactly! They would be essentially borrowing against themselves. Once the TV money came in, it would be paid back plus a whole lot more...

The best example I could come up with that kind of equates is people borrowing from their 401k.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

:rolleyes:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
And Miller was damn good and they have no comparable replacement on their roster. It's essentially the same cast of characters they had before they traded for Miller. It's a stretch to just say they can find a player like that every year....and they don't really have much draft capital to make that trade either.
Didn't they sign Bobby Wagner?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Where is this fallacy coming that Bidwill is hurting for money? He's not the richest owner in the league but he has the means to play the salary cap game, just like any other owner. He CHOOSES not to and it's not because he can't afford it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where is this fallacy coming that Bidwill is hurting for money? He's not the richest owner in the league but he has the means to play the salary cap game, just like any other owner. He CHOOSES not to and it's not because he can't afford it.
It's pretty funny. It's a fairly common practice to move money from anticipated future gains into today to make capital investments.

Keep in mind that this is only like 50% of the total revenues that will come in and shared across franchises. That's the player salary allocation in the CBA. An entire other half of the pot gets kept by the Bidwill family for ops.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty funny. It's a fairly common practice to move money from anticipated future gains into today to make capital investments.

Keep in mind that this is only like 50% of the total revenues that will come in and shared across franchises. That's the player salary allocation in the CBA. An entire other half of the pot gets kept by the Bidwill family for ops.
Ding ding ding. Virtually every medium to large business does this. It took Amazon 14 years to even make a profit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I posted this on this thread but there are levels to ownership and Bidwill is nowhere near the level of Kroenke. Kroenke wrote a $60M bonus check just to Matthew Stafford alone already, plus whatever he is giving in bonuses to Kupp, Donald, etc. I don't think Bidwill has $60M lump sum available to give to Murray in a potential contract extension now. The dude in video even says that only guys like Kroenke & Jerry are able to do this kind of cap manipulation.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’d guess that guys like DeVondre Campbell and Jordan Phillips are getting more money because deals are structured like this.

Agreed on the weed thing tho.
no. They get less. Teams still have a max amount they can spend and when they pump it all into a few stars...blue collar guys have to take less money.
a 5m guy becomes a 3m guy...a 3m guy becomes vet minimum...
pretty soon teams will be 5 guys making huge bank,,,,and 48 guys making 1m

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The eye roll is his accusation towards posters for things that haven't happened yet.
Weird way to respond, since you are the one that rolled your eyes. lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose