Need a reset

OP
OP
F

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
While I don't think owners" deserve" the kings ransom they receive either there is a fundamental difference between owners and players . Players do not provide jobs for hundreds of employees or provide the magnitude of tax revenue to local or state revenue departments that teams do. Teams also provide cities and states with a professional team that allows fans, at least for a time, a respite from the daily upheaval in our society and an environment in which to unite regardless of political persuasion.
The objective of this thread was not to side with team owners or management but rather to explore whether the tremendous dollars associated with professional sports should, from an overall societal perspective, be allocated to others whose daily efforts are crucial to our health, safety ,and development of our children. I certainly don't have the answers but until we ask the questions and recognize the problems there can be no solutions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While I don't think owners" deserve" the kings ransom they receive either there is a fundamental difference between owners and players . Players do not provide jobs for hundreds of employees or provide the magnitude of tax revenue to local or state revenue departments that teams do. Teams also provide cities and states with a professional team that allows fans, at least for a time, a respite from the daily upheaval in our society and an environment in which to unite regardless of political persuasion.
The objective of this thread was not to side with team owners or management but rather to explore whether the tremendous dollars associated with professional sports should, from an overall societal perspective, be allocated to others whose daily efforts are crucial to our health, safety ,and development of our children. I certainly don't have the answers but until we ask the questions and recognize the problems there can be no solutions.
The same question can be asked of entertainers or Jeff Bezos or any of the uber wealthy. You’re really debating whether capitalism should be a thing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as fans keep filling stadiums and people pay huge money for souvenir, like jerseys, why should owners switch anything. TV revenues are at an all time high. The selling price of a team is the same way. Follow the money if you want to predict where things are going.
Exactly.

It may be hard for a casual fan to understand... but like you said, follow the money.

It wasn't long ago that the players had to fight for 50% of the league revenue. When the league is making that much, and 50% has to go to the players according to the CBA, players salaries will keep ballooning.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same question can be asked of entertainers or Jeff Bezos or any of the uber wealthy. You’re really debating whether capitalism should be a thing.
Exactly.

Weird thought, what do you think would happen to the league, if the NFL someone forced everyone team to sell and all teams were owned by their fans instead of owners?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Owners would love a "reset" and paying the players less LOL. As long as the public pays a lion's share of the cost for their stadiums, they get the millions in naming rights and development rights around the stadium, TV networks shell out the billions to them and their pockets get lined from a myriad of other sources, the players will cash in to a large chunk of change. But, let's not be naive and think the players are getting over on the owners. The owners are smiling all the way to the bank.

Just one cynical fan's viewpoint.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The league is quickly becoming a streaming sport. I’m sorry but spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars to go to a game simply doesn’t hold value for me. Add airfare to fly from Chicago simply isn’t affordable.

I’m retired and on a fixed income. I’ve followed the game for 60 years. The NFL has priced me out of attending games.

I will get the NFL Ticket again this year and then will have to figure out just what the hell it’s going to take the following year with the new TV contracts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The league is quickly becoming a streaming sport. I’m sorry but spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars to go to a game simply doesn’t hold value for me. Add airfare to fly from Chicago simply isn’t affordable.

I’m retired and on a fixed income. I’ve followed the game for 60 years. The NFL has priced me out of attending games.

I will get the NFL Ticket again this year and then will have to figure out just what the hell it’s going to take the following year with the new TV contracts.
Plenty of pirate streams. PM me and I will give you the free hookup.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of pirate streams. PM me and I will give you the free hookup.
Thanks. I get the Ticket for about $225 and that’s doable. It’s just traveling to see the Cards here from Chicago has gotten out of reach. If things change I will reach out to you.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The market pays what the market pays. I am all for anyone in any profession getting what their true market rate value is based on their performance and demand.

In sports we know what they make it and we can judge their performance in relation to pay and it's easy to scoff and get upset at their salary ( I get upset all the time). I am upset at the cost for the average person to attend and believe there is plenty of cash from TV deals that fans should be treated better via pricing.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The whole world economically needs a reset. Anyone with over 1 million dollars in cash, jewels, art, stock/bonds, and anything else that can be easily liquidated (however not including homes, cars, boats, planes and land that can be shown to be regularly used and needed in their personal or professional lives) should have their wealth redistributed to legitimate non-profit agencies who would immediately begin to feed, cloth, and supply permanent housing to the needy, with the remaining monies to go to those incapable of working and to create jobs for those who can.

All income tax exemptions shall no longer be in effect, including those of a religious and corporate nature. Those families fall below a certain % of the national average in a given year shall be immune from income taxes for that year.

All state educational institutions shall be free to students until the age of 26. All medical care would now be totally free to all, with the exception of injury or illness that can be shown to be brought on by the individual in question, including self-inflicted injuries, those resulting from the commission of a crime, and/or those resulting from known unhealthy habits such as excessive smoking, drinking, and illegal drugs.

A successful means of controlling and ending illegal immigration shall be completed quickly and diligently, whether it be by completing a impenetrable wall and/or the hiring of the necessary immigration officers to permanently deal with the situation.

All current healthy, disease free immigrants, illegal or not, who have no current arrests pending or past criminal convictions, and who have acquired permanent legal employment and/or are successfully pursuing full time education or job training, will be given the opportunity period of time to apply for a 1 year trial period for citizenship. During the year following their application, they must prove that they have maintained full time employment and/or successful pursuit of their education or job training. Upon satisfactory proof in that, they may then be awarded full time U.S. citizenship.

I believe it has been shown that there would be plenty of $$ to accomplish all the necessary things mentioned or not to create a world and society beneficial to all, at least in our country, if not the rest of the world. Of course we all know this is but a dream of pot smoking liberals who wish to destroy all vestiges of capitalism, along with the pride that comes with the continued success of a free God fearing America.

Which America are your dreams made of, the multi-million dollar athletes or helping those who need it most?
Not bad! Not bad at all SissyBoy!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The market pays what the market pays. I am all for anyone in any profession getting what their true market rate value is based on their performance and demand.

In sports we know what they make it and we can judge their performance in relation to pay and it's easy to scoff and get upset at their salary ( I get upset all the time). I am upset at the cost for the average person to attend and believe there is plenty of cash from TV deals that fans should be treated better via pricing.
Covid only made prices worse. They are spiking right now, (maybe forever) because people still feel like they have to let loose after being cooped up for 2 years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think society should stop obsessing over other peoples salaries and focus on improving their own.
There’s some merit to that statement. But I think it may be overly simplistic when thinking about how a society should function. If we overvalue sillier things and consistently undervalue important things we will crater. I’m not saying that’s entirely where we are - hence the “if” in both statements.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s some merit to that statement. But I think it may be overly simplistic when thinking about how a society should function. If we overvalue sillier things and consistently undervalue important things we will crater. I’m not saying that’s entirely where we are - hence the “if” in both statements.
The complaints about athlete salaries are a simple misunderstand of economics, business and supply/demand.

They are what they are for a reason.

Winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners. This tired conversation always leads back to that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The complaints about athlete salaries are a simple misunderstand of economics, business and supply/demand.

They are what they are for a reason.

Winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners. This tired conversation always leads back to that.
Obviously there are two different lines of discussion here. There is the why - I think everyone gets that. And there is the should - which I think is more the premise of the thread.

I think your blanket statement about look at your own bank account works on a micro level but fails miserably on a macro level.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t have to see more homeless people to know something is wrong with our priorities. I just don‘t think there’s an obvious path to resetting them. Things are now so divisive, forward movement seems nearly impossible. People would rather shout at the darkness than compromise. Unless we can find a way back to respecting and meeting in the middle on issues, little will get better. At 74 I’m quite sure I won’t be around for a solution but I know it starts will listening to each other less judgmentally. It means accepting the other person might be at least partially right. This economic system was never perfect; none are. This has been the best for the majority of the people, but we need to reach out to those who have fallen between the cracks, understanding that it’s not always their fault. If things are good for you, help others when you can. If everyone would just help a little, things would be much better for many more people. JFK once paraphrased the Bible saying, “For of those to whom much is given, much is required.” No matter your religious beliefs, we all do better when we remember to care for each other. I know I post arrogant stuff sometimes, but I’m trying to be better and not take myself too seriously. Sports should be for fun. In the meantime remember life is very tough for some. Be a part of the solution if you can.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have to see more homeless people to know something is wrong with our priorities. I just don‘t think there’s an obvious path to resetting them. Things are now so divisive, forward movement seems nearly impossible. People would rather shout at the darkness than compromise. Unless we can find a way back to respecting and meeting in the middle on issues, little will get better. At 74 I’m quite sure I won’t be around for a solution but I know it starts will listening to each other less judgmentally. It means accepting the other person might be at least partially right. This economic system was never perfect; none are. This has been the best for the majority of the people, but we need to reach out to those who have fallen between the cracks, understanding that it’s not always their fault. If things are good for you, help others when you can. If everyone would just help a little, things would be much better for many more people. JFK once paraphrased the Bible saying, “For of those to whom much is given, much is required.” No matter your religious beliefs, we all do better when we remember to care for each other. I know I post arrogant stuff sometimes, but I’m trying to be better and not take myself too seriously. Sports should be for fun. In the meantime remember life is very tough for some. Be a part of the solution if you can.
I’m 69 Harry and I totally agree with everything in your post.
The problem I see is it became the “ in thing” to be decisive. Want to guess when that started?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose