Need a reset

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
I am convinced that professional sports needs a reset on player's salaries. How bizarre is it that any player in his early to mid 20s thinks he is entitled to 40 million or more annual salary? Such thinking is beyond absurd when many fans making far less than 100 k per year fork out hundreds of dollars to attend a single game. I understand all the arguments,its a free market, a player should get whatever he can because he only has limited years in his profession, etc. I don't disagree with any of these arguments based on current society which is why I think the entire professional sports industry needs a reset , reducing ticket prices so the average fan and their families can go to games without breaking the bank. While athletes may no longer be paid like kings it may bring back some normalcy to our values. I recognize, of course , this will never happen so I 'm just venting.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am convinced that professional sports needs a reset on player's salaries. How bizarre is it that any player in his early to mid 20s thinks he is entitled to 40 million or more annual salary? Such thinking is beyond absurd when many fans making far less than 100 k per year fork out hundreds of dollars to attend a single game. I understand all the arguments,its a free market, a player should get whatever he can because he only has limited years in his profession, etc. I don't disagree with any of these arguments based on current society which is why I think the entire professional sports industry needs a reset , reducing ticket prices so the average fan and their families can go to games without breaking the bank. While athletes may no longer be paid like kings it may bring back some normalcy to our values. I recognize, of course , this will never happen so I 'm just venting.
Agree
Its disgusting especially when we are living a recession
More money more spoiled and primadonna attitude
17 games a year, 25, days of training camp and are still there the voluntary camp, and many skipping them
Puke

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
As long as there is TV revenue owners will make $100's of millions (if not billions) and players will be paid ridiculous sums of money.

Only way any of this would reset is if people stopped going to games and watching TV and that just isn't going to happen. Like it or not but sporting events are part of our culture.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That's why we need a societal reset. Advertisers refuse to pay billions, owners pay less in salaries and reduce ticket prices . You're right will never happen -but it should.
Dude, we (taxpayers) are literally paying for billionaires to build rockets and play in space...What athletes are making or feel entitled to make, should be the least of our worries...lol

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yeah it's out of hand. same thing happens in the NBA. those elite level contracts should be reserved for elite level players.

perfect example to me, clayton kershaw started making 32 mil per year in 2015, pretty sure that was the most in baseball at that point, but he was unequivocally the best pitcher in baseball.

guys in the NFL would be someone like pat mahomes. how many guys are on his level skill wise? not many, but many are trying to be on his pay level.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As long as there is TV revenue owners will make $100's of millions (if not billions) and players will be paid ridiculous sums of money.

Only way any of this would reset is if people stopped going to games and watching TV and that just isn't going to happen. Like it or not but sporting events are part of our culture.
I pay my sports dollars to watch Kyler Murray, not Michael Bidwill.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
yeah it's out of hand. same thing happens in the NBA. those elite level contracts should be reserved for elite level players.

perfect example to me, clayton kershaw started making 32 mil per year in 2015, pretty sure that was the most in baseball at that point, but he was unequivocally the best pitcher in baseball.

guys in the NFL would be someone like pat mahomes. how many guys are on his level skill wise? not many, but many are trying to be on his pay level.
The only way you can expect to fully scale back on NFL contracts, is to have them fully guaranteed, like MLB. We all laughed, when Cousins got his 1st deal, but he really broke the status quo with his contract and now it's more inline (not perfect) with where he should be paid.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you’re disgusted by the $40 mil a year a player makes, imagine what his boss takes in. Sports as a whole is dramatically overvalued in our society.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Found another cop on the board. Good of you to to side with management. The thing is that the value of athletes' contracts (or actors, or musicians, or whatever performer you want to choose) is directly correlated with the value and scarcity of their abilities. Especially now that the rookie pay scale has been "fixed" and players aren't entering the league with a top 5 contract (until another RB, off-ball linebacker, tight end, or safety) gets selected in the top 10, you could argue that top QB contracts are still undervalued, since there isn't really a free market for a quarterback's services.

Player comp is directly related to TV revenue more than anything else, because 100x people are watching the game at home, it's a live event, etc., etc.

The only way you can expect to fully scale back on NFL contracts, is to have them fully guaranteed, like MLB. We all laughed, when Cousins got his 1st deal, but he really broke the status quo with his contract and now it's more inline (not perfect) with where he should be paid.
"Should" as a moral judgement or should as in comparison to his peers? He's 9th in APY right now, and that ranking will go down once Kyler's and Lamar Jackson's extensions are done. Maybe that's right, but it really highlights how constraining the rookie wage scale is.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol you forgot IMO

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
forever red, do you remember a few years back when there were no set salaries for draft picks? If not, check out how much guaranteed money Sam Bradford made before stepping on the field. Also, remember that in FB, as opposed to other sports much of their salary is not guaranteed. IMO, FB players EARN their money.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
forever red, do you remember a few years back when there were no set salaries for draft picks? If not, check out how much guaranteed money Sam Bradford made before stepping on the field. Also, remember that in FB, as opposed to other sports much of their salary is not guaranteed. IMO, FB players EARN their money.
Man, I'm definitely on the side of players getting what they deserve, but Bradford as an example just doesn't jive with me. He is arguably one of the most overpaid players in league history. Dude made more than 130M in his career and didn't do much of anything to 'deserve' that.

I know you aren't directly using him as an example to say he 'earned' it...

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The whole world economically needs a reset. Anyone with over 1 million dollars in cash, jewels, art, stock/bonds, and anything else that can be easily liquidated (however not including homes, cars, boats, planes and land that can be shown to be regularly used and needed in their personal or professional lives) should have their wealth redistributed to legitimate non-profit agencies who would immediately begin to feed, cloth, and supply permanent housing to the needy, with the remaining monies to go to those incapable of working and to create jobs for those who can.

All income tax exemptions shall no longer be in effect, including those of a religious and corporate nature. Those families fall below a certain % of the national average in a given year shall be immune from income taxes for that year.

All state educational institutions shall be free to students until the age of 26. All medical care would now be totally free to all, with the exception of injury or illness that can be shown to be brought on by the individual in question, including self-inflicted injuries, those resulting from the commission of a crime, and/or those resulting from known unhealthy habits such as excessive smoking, drinking, and illegal drugs.

A successful means of controlling and ending illegal immigration shall be completed quickly and diligently, whether it be by completing a impenetrable wall and/or the hiring of the necessary immigration officers to permanently deal with the situation.

All current healthy, disease free immigrants, illegal or not, who have no current arrests pending or past criminal convictions, and who have acquired permanent legal employment and/or are successfully pursuing full time education or job training, will be given the opportunity period of time to apply for a 1 year trial period for citizenship. During the year following their application, they must prove that they have maintained full time employment and/or successful pursuit of their education or job training. Upon satisfactory proof in that, they may then be awarded full time U.S. citizenship.

I believe it has been shown that there would be plenty of $$ to accomplish all the necessary things mentioned or not to create a world and society beneficial to all, at least in our country, if not the rest of the world. Of course we all know this is but a dream of pot smoking liberals who wish to destroy all vestiges of capitalism, along with the pride that comes with the continued success of a free God fearing America.

Which America are your dreams made of, the multi-million dollar athletes or helping those who need it most?

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is less about the athletes and more about the owners. Athletes are limited by a salary cap based on the NFL income and they negotiate their share of that income. The owners are willing to pay athletes so much because their income has gone up astronomically.

In 1989 Jerry Jones purchased the Dallas Cowboys for $150 million dollars. In 2020 the Cowboys were valued at $6.5 billion dollars. The price to go to a game hasn't gone up to satisfy the growing demands of athletes. It has gone up because the goal of stakeholders in any business is to extract as much value as possible. In the past 3 decades it seems the ownership class in most areas of business has become much more efficient at extracting value from their consumers. With the net value of the top of the ownership class of society having increased more than tenfold in the past couple decades. Jerry Jones for example was worth $272 million in 1996 and he now valued at nearly $12 billion, but there are even more drastic examples for guys like Warren Buffet went from $15 billion in 1996 to $112 billion today. You see it spill into college football too, with big money donors having near infinite millions to spend on hiring/firing new head coaches. This gain goes far beyond inflation.

Athletes relationship to the owners is that of the laborer. They are both highly skilled (hard to replace) and are unionized. Because of this are able to negotiate themselves a sizable share of the profits. Them getting any less than what they currently get would be somewhat exploitive.

Athletes salary's don't reset until the owners income resets. It's not going to get better. In any area involving owners and consumers really. Business men are too good at their jobs. During my time alive I've seen that over time anyone who does not own capital continues to get poorer and have their status in society shrink. I don't see any reason why that trend won't continue.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Man, at least Sam performed when healthy...The biggest cautionary tale was Jamarcus Russell.

OP
OP
F

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
I remember Bradford , all too well unfortunately. I respectfully disagree that any 25 year old playing a professional sport "earns" up to 40 million per year. And for other people's benefit I am not siding with management but with the average fan and society in general where the dollars floating around in the professional sports industry has become obscene. There are many other professions such as teachers, health care workers, first responders, and members of the military who deserve a much bigger piece of the pie. Only problem is they aren't on TV and advertisers don't pay billions of dollars to their industry to watch them teach our kids , save lives or keep us safe.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
:| I must have missed that day!
He was never super awesome, but his knee injuries are what did him in. He had a nice thing going in Minnesota, before getting hurt again. Did any of these guys deserve the upfront $$, nope, but there were far worse than Sam.
You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He was never super awesome, but his knee injuries are what did him in. He had a nice thing going in Minnesota, before getting hurt again. Did any of these guys deserve the upfront $$, nope, but there were far worse than Sam.
You must be registered for see images attach
Imagine being a Sam Bradford apologist.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
As long as fans keep filling stadiums and people pay huge money for souvenir, like jerseys, why should owners switch anything. TV revenues are at an all time high. The selling price of a team is the same way. Follow the money if you want to predict where things are going.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose