Netflix Stock Tumbles

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the way Paramount+ is - $4.99/month with commercials, $8.99 without
I have the $4.99 Paramount plan. Their commercials don't seem to be very invasive at least on replays of sporting events.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the $4.99 Paramount plan. Their commercials don't seem to be very invasive at least on replays of sporting events.
I have stayed on the $4.99 plan so far. It doesn't seem to be too bad, plus with the countdown timer you can easily plan your snack break, pee break, etc.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory about the streaming hardware whether it lives in a 'smart TV' or a stick or whatever is that because they're basically just running applications, the devices that have the greatest incentive to keep the experience smooth are those with a stake in the user experience. A low priced TV is mostly concerned about selling a bunch of TV's and the user experience with Netflix (for example) isn't really that important to them and most people will just blame Netflix anyway never thinking that the bare-bones hardware hasn't ever been fed any regular updates.

If you can hardwire your streaming device to the router, you'll typically have a much better experience than wi-fi. Plus, that saves that bandwidth for your other devices that might be running at the same time as the stream. Balance that traffic, people!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I have stayed on the $4.99 plan so far. It doesn't seem to be too bad, plus with the countdown timer you can easily plan your snack break, pee break, etc.
FYI, if you happen to have a T-Mobile account then they have a free 1 year of Paramount+ offer going. It's the "Essential" $4.99 plan that you get with it.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I googled for the best smart TV for $1000. Got a TCL and bought a sound bar. It's Roku but I don't even use that. Directv, Netflix, Prime and occasionally youtube videos. I have no problem with it at all.

btw I thought Anatomy of a Scandal that premiered on Netflix last week was pretty good.

Yeah, Prime irks me too. Every time I see something I want to watch, I gotta pay for Topic, PBS, BBC, Paramount, Peacock, Hulu, AppleTv, YouTubeTV etc or some service I won't use more that a couple of weeks. Jack Reacher was the last thing I watched. Prime is just a sales App, that's all.

In another thread I was complaining that xfinity is approaching $100 a month for internet. As I'm typing this I ask my wife and she tells me, you're clueless dude, it's at $130!! ...holy crap

I'm retiring soon so I'll have some time to devote to figuring this jungle out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The menu's are horrible. finding things is horrible. Having to sort through all kinds of PPV content is horrible. I just dont like it one bit. Every time I go on it, I feel like I am wasting time. They have some originals that I hear are good and have not watched outside of The Boys (excellent) but the overall experience is utter trash IMO
Of all my streaming services they’ve been the worst. A handful of shows I’ve really enjoyed, but seems like longer stretches between their seasons and I agree navigating prime is awful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Looks like I need to try HBO Max, Hulu and possibly Apple Tv next. I had HBO Max, watched everything I was interested in and dropped it. I had Hulu for free a free week via Comcast, watched Little Fires Everywhere start to finish never really found anything else I liked so never signed up. Have not signed up for Apple TV yet. I get Prime because I have it for packages, I pay for Netflix and Disney although I'm close to dropping Disney as i've watched everything that interested me
Apple has been on a tear. So many good shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russian Doll is the first thing to get me back to Netflix since Squid Game, I think.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Looks like I need to try HBO Max, Hulu and possibly Apple Tv next. I had HBO Max, watched everything I was interested in and dropped it. I had Hulu for free a free week via Comcast, watched Little Fires Everywhere start to finish never really found anything else I liked so never signed up. Have not signed up for Apple TV yet. I get Prime because I have it for packages, I pay for Netflix and Disney although I'm close to dropping Disney as i've watched everything that interested me
HBO Max is great.

Watched The Batman on it. And Dune. And Suicide Squad. Didn't have to go to the theaters and at ridiculous prices.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
HBO Max is great.

Watched The Batman on it. And Dune. And Suicide Squad. Didn't have to go to the theaters and at ridiculous prices.

I've actually given up on HBO Max, at least for the new movie releases like Dune and Batman. They're using too much compression, especially on audio. I'm once again waiting on the UHDs for them. The range and dynamics are lacking and noticeable when listening and graphing them shows it. I get that they doing it as a cost saving measure but I wish they used higher bitrates like Apple TV+ does. It's crazy how many bits they push on some of their shows.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've actually given up on HBO Max, at least for the new movie releases like Dune and Batman. They're using too much compression, especially on audio. I'm once again waiting on the UHDs for them. The range and dynamics are lacking and noticeable when listening and graphing them shows it. I get that they doing it as a cost saving measure but I wish they used higher bitrates like Apple TV+ does. It's crazy how many bits they push on some of their shows.
I'm an avid hater of anything Apple LOL.

Had a work iphone and crushing that phone would have been the nicest thing I could do to it.

I'm glad others care about compression and such...I guess I'm much simpler and really only care that I saved $50+ by being awed at the awesomeness of Dune at home.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm an avid hater of anything Apple LOL.

Had a work iphone and crushing that phone would have been the nicest thing I could do to it.

I'm glad others care about compression and such...I guess I'm much simpler and really only care that I saved $50+ by being awed at the awesomeness of Dune at home.
Learn to love the Apple! ;)

I have a nice home theater with a fairly high end sound system in it. So I get sensitive to it at times when things sound "flat" to me. So I'd rather wait the couple extra months to get the disc. It was more about that then Apple.

I will say though that Apple has gotten a lot right when it comes to Apple TV+. I like that they've gone for quality over quantity and given us some amazing show. Then with those shows they're not skimping on the bandwidth like the other streamers. Some of the ATV+ shows break 40 Mbps. That's putting them in blu-ray territory for bitrates. Most of the services stream at a quarter of that or less.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, I'm going to be getting flagged. So long Netflix. You might get a 1 month sub now and then for catch up. I'm not sure why I even have it now. Cobra Kai is the only original thing in the last 8 months that I can even think of watching from them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose