Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take Kyler out of the equation.

We don't have any foundational young talent on offense. Rondale is just a gadget guy (right now). Isabella wants out or cant get on the field. Josh Jones cant beat out Beachum. I mean DJ will be 29 at the end of the year and Hopkins will be 30 this summer.

We have a couple on defense. However, Im starting to believe Keim is going to draft a corner in round 1 cause we're not re-signing Byron Murphy.

Keim's inability to add young talent (Or keep it) is part of the reason the agent is pressing so hard. He's one of the only young guys we've hit on and the rest is an aging roster.

I just hope this wasn't a test demand money and proof of commitment and then sit back and watch us do almost nothing in free agency.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not about what I think. I’m saying if you’re the GM, you need a QB, you need to have the conviction of your analysis to do what’s necessary to go get him. I’m not saying I’d agree with it if I didn’t believe the talent, but I’m saying that’s what a good gm should do.

Regardless, his point was we couldn’t draft mahomes because he was drafted before our pick . . . by a team that was drafting over ten picks later than us. That’s what I was pointing out.
Had the Cardinals had the 4th or 5th pick instead of the first pick I wonder if they would have sold the house to move up and draft Murray.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I find it hilarious that anyone would take this seriously. From the penthouse of the NFL to riding a bus in A, AA, AAA ball and if he's great, cashing-in in his late 20's. There is nowhere other than the NFL where he's likely to make generational coin, and nowhere but the CARDS where he's most likely to garner multi-generational cash.
Have you seen some of the baseball contracts which by the way are 100% gauranteed? Do you really think Kyler would be in the minors for more than a couple of months. No to mention he’d probably make more in his 1st year than he will this year.
Oh and he does love baseball too. If you are the Cardinals and don’t consider this an option for him , even if it’s slight, they are making a mistake.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I was forced to watch him all season as I have few best buds that are Cinci Alums. Even the Cinci FanBoyz are laughing at these draft projections for him. Combine warrior athletically and interview wise… guy struggles on accuracy on a 10 yard out let alone any consistency series to series.
I trust your opinion.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen some of the baseball contracts which by the way are 100% gauranteed? Do you really think Kyler would be in the minors for more than a couple of months. No to mention he’d probably make more in his 1st year than he will this year.
Oh and he does love baseball too. If you are the Cardinals and don’t consider this an option for him , even if it’s slight, they are making a mistake.
Virtually no one only spends a couple months in the minors Murray would be in the minors for several years.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

You clearly know absolutely nothing about the apprenticeship required to play in MLB and are clueless about contract structures in baseball.

Nobody jumps from College to the big leagues, and no one who hasn't played the game in years has a chance in Hell of graduating through the minor league levels to reach the major leagues in months. This is all a figment of imagination.

Find something else to complain about that you have at least a passable knowledge about.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree.

You do it as fast as you can, and wait to draft a qb till next year. It's not like the team still won't suck without a qb no matter how well we do in the draft.

You need the capital next year though to trade up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if they don't yet know if he's their QBoF? Which, IMO, is ALL on KM at this point.
Then they should have traded him already. They have had 3 years to decide that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was considered a bit of project when they drafted him. Now after three years without baseball you think he’s only in the minors a few months? I only pay a bit of attention to baseball but even I know that’s not likely, at all

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You clearly know absolutely nothing about the apprenticeship required to play in MLB and are clueless about contract structures in baseball.

Nobody jumps from College to the big leagues, and no one who hasn't played the game in years has a chance in Hell of graduating through the minor league levels to reach the major leagues in months. This is all a figment of imagination.

Find something else to complain about that you have at least a passable knowledge about.
Agree with all of this except the gratuitous shot of the last paragraph.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Take Kyler out of the equation.

We don't have any foundational young talent on offense. Rondale is just a gadget guy (right now). Isabella wants out or cant get on the field. Josh Jones cant beat out Beachum. I mean DJ will be 29 at the end of the year and Hopkins will be 30 this summer.

We have a couple on defense. However, Im starting to believe Keim is going to draft a corner in round 1 cause we're not re-signing Byron Murphy.

Keim's inability to add young talent (Or keep it) is part of the reason the agent is pressing so hard. He's one of the only young guys we've hit on and the rest is an aging roster.
You are spot on here, and this is why we should go all-out offense in this draft. Forget the defense--VJ is going to play bend and break anyway. We need to do our utmost to stack the offense. You know, like Keim is avoiding doing thus far.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You are spot on here, and this is why we should go all-out offense in this draft. Forget the defense--VJ is going to play bend and break anyway. We need to do our utmost to stack the offense. You know, like Keim is avoiding doing thus far.
Regardless of who the QB is (as I've speculated maybe trading Kyler for a haul is Keim's only way to infuse young talent on this team. Of course the bad part is Keim will be making those decisions)

We need more young talent on offense. Enough of the castoffs or guys other teams think are washed.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep saying it he hasn't played baseball in years. If people keep insisting this is about money there's no way in the world he's turning down a chance at something pushing 40 million a year to go to a baseball contract that google says was 4.6. He would be taking a cut even on his current Cards contract.

unless the Cards just tell him we are not redoing your contract until it's done and even then he'd just demand a trade not go to baseball and be in the minors. I don't follow baseball anymore but unless it's changed the rule used to be if you had a major league contract you had to be on a roster at least a certain amount of time, if you're in the minors you are playing on a minor league contract. that may have changed I don't know. It's why during the lockout I said he would never go to baseball, the only way he can make good money is the major league contract but he would have then been locked out and not gotten paid.

if this is truly as simple as he wants more money, he has 2 options, demand a trade to someone else, or wait and see what the Cards do.

Obviously he wants a new contract but I honestly do believe part of this is he and the agent want to see how committed the Cards are both to him, and to winning. So far in the offseason they haven't exactly done much to show a commitment to winning. We haven't exactly done moves that make you say ok that makes us a better team. I am fine with losing Kirk Jax way overpaid him IMO. But at least on paper unless several young players substantially improve, we're worse than we were last year right now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Those are second contracts. Players on their initial contracts actually make very little, even first round picks.

Uh oh, another hit piece from state TV!

To be fair, that article is dated March 1.

Virtually no one only spends a couple months in the minors Murray would be in the minors for several years.
I think that part of Kyler's deal was that if he signed with the A's and reported, he'd be moved up to the majors within a month or two. That's wild, but it always seems like contracts are done a little differently in MLB.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keep saying it he hasn't played baseball in years. If people keep insisting this is about money there's no way in the world he's turning down a chance at something pushing 40 million a year to go to a baseball contract that google says was 4.6. He would be taking a cut even on his current Cards contract.

unless the Cards just tell him we are not redoing your contract until it's done and even then he'd just demand a trade not go to baseball and be in the minors. I don't follow baseball anymore but unless it's changed the rule used to be if you had a major league contract you had to be on a roster at least a certain amount of time, if you're in the minors you are playing on a minor league contract. that may have changed I don't know. It's why during the lockout I said he would never go to baseball, the only way he can make good money is the major league contract but he would have then been locked out and not gotten paid.

if this is truly as simple as he wants more money, he has 2 options, demand a trade to someone else, or wait and see what the Cards do.

Obviously he wants a new contract but I honestly do believe part of this is he and the agent want to see how committed the Cards are both to him, and to winning. So far in the offseason they haven't exactly done much to show a commitment to winning. We haven't exactly done moves that make you say ok that makes us a better team. I am fine with losing Kirk Jax way overpaid him IMO. But at least on paper unless several young players substantially improve, we're worse than we were last year right now.
Based on the off-season moves and lack of motivation to work a deal w Kyler..if I am him I’d demand that trade. Also seems from a gm perspective you’ve painted yourself in a corner here. Maybe the right move is to just dump for a lot of assets - would be a odd model w some many aging vets on the squad though…

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the off-season moves and lack of motivation to work a deal w Kyler..if I am him I’d demand that trade. Also seems from a gm perspective you’ve painted yourself in a corner here. Maybe the right move is to just dump for a lot of assets - would be a odd model w some many aging vets on the squad though…

Yep if I'm trying to read Keim's mind maybe he thinks we're not going to win this year with this roster we need more young talent. Kyler is the guy who will get me the most picks so I'm going to trade him, tank this year hope to get Bryce Young next year or another young franchise QB and with the picks I got for Kyler I'll be stacked the following year.

The problem there is that's 2 years down the road so D Hop 2 years older, Ertz 2 years older, Conner 2 years older the OL 2 years older. You aren't getting enough picks from Kyler to fill holes AND replace all that.

And what they're doing now actually IMO reduces Kylers' trade value everyone will know he wants out so they won't offer as much.

I don't think they intend to trade him I think they just don't want to be a team that sets a precedent and negotiates earlier with a QB and it hasn't gone well either way.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Then they should have traded him already. They have had 3 years to decide that.
Meh, I think in year 2, one could reasonably make the excuse he was hurt. And then he was playing really well for half of the season or so. The sharp downturn this year is what's really alarming, and leaves us flat footed. It's perfectly reasonable in my mind to want to go at least four years before making that decision, trying to see what the player looks like in a full healthy season.

Unfortunately, now he has less weapons and has begun to play hardball with his attitude as soon as he could. Other QBs that have made more convincing arguments to get paid have dealt with this situation with a lot more grace.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep if I'm trying to read Keim's mind maybe he thinks we're not going to win this year with this roster we need more young talent. Kyler is the guy who will get me the most picks so I'm going to trade him, tank this year hope to get Bryce Young next year or another young franchise QB and with the picks I got for Kyler I'll be stacked the following year.

The problem there is that's 2 years down the road so D Hop 2 years older, Ertz 2 years older, Conner 2 years older the OL 2 years older. You aren't getting enough picks from Kyler to fill holes AND replace all that.

And what they're doing now actually IMO reduces Kylers' trade value everyone will know he wants out so they won't offer as much.

I don't think they intend to trade him I think they just don't want to be a team that sets a precedent and negotiates earlier with a QB and it hasn't gone well either way.
I think this is probably the accurate scenario in the last paragraph.. unfortunately. It’s just a extremely pathetic if the intent is to keep him the lack of offensive addition in comparison to quite literally anyone that even looks like a viable young starter.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
R
Murray's agent is tryign to get the best deal he can for his agent from a team that has a history of being difficult to negotiate with. He's clearly made mistakes he's being too public and he's demanding things beyond the norm in terms of timing. But as someone else said, someone always has to be first. the guarantee for Watson totally out of the norm for example. So if you're an agent in this situation you would not be doing your job if you're not trying to get the deal for your guy.

Was watching a bit on tv last night they seem to think Murray won't actually get traded and the guy made a point. he said my sources tell me Murray's trade prospects are slim because the Cards asking price is so high. He then said "which tells you how good the Cards think he is, so you would hope the 2 sides will eventually agree."

as a Cards fan since 1974 I've just seen this crap so many times. First team to lose a true free agent to another team(Norm Thompson), lose players to other leagues(Namath), potential franchise QB to knee injury(Rosenbach), franchise QB to hip injury(Lomax). Draft a QB #1 and then trade him without ever signing him(Stouffer). This stuff has gone on and on with this franchise. Murray and his agent have blame here but honestly as a Cards fan I can't blame any agent who sees the history of this franchise and assumes they will get it done so don't push.
I’m sure everyone is aware I’m not a Bidwill family fan. However, I think it’s fair to say, for the most part, they’ve paid their players fairly. They’ve lost a few I would have preferred they would have kept, but usually those players were paid above the expected market. Frankly Murray has not been a PR asset since he arrived. He’s played well, but not Hall of Fame well. He fell apart in last year’s playoff, easily winning the Garo Yepremian Award for choking while passing.

In this case he’s yelling before he’s hurt. Many contracts are renewed after the June 1. I‘m not certain who else his agent reps, but I’m not impressed. Perhaps the Cards are now wondering who may make an offer at the draft. Being a Cardinal baseball fan as well, I’ve learned that loyalty is a two way street. When I was young, no one said St Louis was a great place to play. Now the fans are often called the best in baseball. That’s because of players like Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith won the hearts of the fans, in part, by what they publicly said about the team and the fans. Today Wainwright and Molina carry on that tradition. Murray has somehow seemed aloof and distant from the fans and at least early on from the players. Maybe that’s his personality. However, part of what a team pays for is keeping fans happy. At times Murray has done that with his play. If he’s said how happy or lucky he’s been to play in AZ, I’ve missed it. A contract is a package deal. Murray is an approach/avoidance conflict.