Cardinals Economics - Kyler and the Future

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Several of you will wail and gnash your teeth at his extension cost but that inflated cost is wholly on the incompetent GM.

He was a 43 million player just two weeks ago. Now he's a 47 million
If you think he was ever going to accept anything less than 50 a year, I've got some oceanfront land in Phoenix to sell you.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
and still if you pay that much to 1 position you can't have many other great players, and no the cap isn't imaginatory you can't take money that you have elsewhere it has to be in the future or come from the past.

Guys Kyler wasn't worth 45 what he wanted 3 weeks ago and isn't worth 47 Mio now. No QB is worth more than 20% of a teams budget.

When guys will finally look at the statistics no QB that gained more than 12% of the Team Cap won a SB. Like from what I know ever, but at least the last 2 decades.

Yes the game changed, but Brady didn't win because other QB weren't as good, he won because he had better supporting cast because there was money to go around.
Excellent point, Brady was chasing rings not money. Brady was chasing the label of GOAT, not money. He knew he would get paid handsomely enough no matter what happened. Brady wants the spotlight more than anything else. 10 Super Bowl appearances and 7 time winner, this is what Brady was and still is chasing. Brady knows he can't get to the Super Bowl on his own without the best supporting cast he can have around him. He also knows he can't get there without dedicating the time and effort to be the best he can be to help in the quest.

Our guy Murray is chasing money. If he was so concerned about the long term stability of the team to compete for a Super Bowl he wouldn't be demanding to be paid like one of the top three salaries of QB in the NFL. He apparently thinks he's already good enough to carry this team to a Super Bowl when he hasn't even won a single playoff game yet.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brady married a sugar mama who makes over $40 million per year, he could give up a bit on his contract. Can't think of any other QBs who have done that. The idea that if we don't have the next Tom Brady (nobody does, doesn't exist) then give up and start over is just nonsense.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brady married a sugar mama who makes over $40 million per year, he could give up a bit on his contract. Can't think of any other QBs who have done that. The idea that if we don't have the next Tom Brady (nobody does, doesn't exist) then give up and start over is just nonsense.
Do you really think, that if you get "just" 25-30 Mio $ a year and 45-50 Mio $ a year makes that much of a difference when you win 7 SB rings on the long run?

You know when A.Rod lost his "discount double check" commercial, exactly when he didn't get to the NFC Championships and SB.

Look just that one commercial which A.Rod got after his SB payed payed him at the beginning 2-3 Mio $ and in the last years 7.5 Mio $ and now Mahomes makes that money. Not because Mahomes is more electric, because at the moment Mahomes is a "winner". And such deals come in if you win. The difference between Brady with his wife and the rest is, that Brady never had to do this commercials, because he didn't want to and they had the money.

For example if you win just 2 SB I'm 100% sure you get an Addidas/Nike deal worth 10 Mio $ a year or even more since now Europe is starting to get hot on the NFL and 2-3 other big brands that pay you even more and with 4 commercials and some other stuff you might get to 20-25 Mio $ a year. And if you have a good agent you might get even shares which you don't have to tax afaik.

So no Brady only had one difference, he didn't need to make commercials like Brees, Rodgers, Manning and so on. But clearly, if you are a Rothlisberger or Watson that makes bad decisions off field, than you don't get this commercials.

So Cardpa is 100% right. Kyler is about the money and not about winning it all or being the greatest of his time or after the GOAT (gosh he is so young he could get to GOAT talk as well like LeBron and Kobe after MJ).

Kyler Plays Videogames @ Twitch gosh I'm sure if he wins a SB Amazon is paying him randsomly for being a Amazon only streamer just because he is the SB winning QB. And that type of contracts can go up to 100 Mio $ for 2-4 years depending on how many watch your streams or how Amazon thinks they can profit from you.

So this hole story is, at the moment it seems Kyler isn't a genius, Kyler isn't the smartest young QB and he doesn't see that he can make much more money by winning multiple or at least 1 SB in the next years. He seems to be a me first guy that doesn't have the gravita to lead a team of men.

And that is why I thought, trade him now when you get the most out of him and try to get a young QB with whom you have a chance to win it all almost every year. And not only in the years where everything goes right and your way. Since as long as you don't win 1 SB it is much more likely to not go your way. (that also is some statistic somewhere, probably screwed by Brady but nonethless).

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you really think, that if you get "just" 25-30 Mio $ a year and 45-50 Mio $ a year makes that much of a difference when you win 7 SB rings on the long run?

You know when A.Rod lost his "discount double check" commercial, exactly when he didn't get to the NFC Championships and SB.

Look just that one commercial which A.Rod got after his SB payed payed him at the beginning 2-3 Mio $ and in the last years 7.5 Mio $ and now Mahomes makes that money. Not because Mahomes is more electric, because at the moment Mahomes is a "winner". And such deals come in if you win. The difference between Brady with his wife and the rest is, that Brady never had to do this commercials, because he didn't want to and they had the money.

For example if you win just 2 SB I'm 100% sure you get an Addidas/Nike deal worth 10 Mio $ a year or even more since now Europe is starting to get hot on the NFL and 2-3 other big brands that pay you even more and with 4 commercials and some other stuff you might get to 20-25 Mio $ a year. And if you have a good agent you might get even shares which you don't have to tax afaik.

So no Brady only had one difference, he didn't need to make commercials like Brees, Rodgers, Manning and so on. But clearly, if you are a Rothlisberger or Watson that makes bad decisions off field, than you don't get this commercials.

So Cardpa is 100% right. Kyler is about the money and not about winning it all or being the greatest of his time or after the GOAT (gosh he is so young he could get to GOAT talk as well like LeBron and Kobe after MJ).

Kyler Plays Videogames @ Twitch gosh I'm sure if he wins a SB Amazon is paying him randsomly for being a Amazon only streamer just because he is the SB winning QB. And that type of contracts can go up to 100 Mio $ for 2-4 years depending on how many watch your streams or how Amazon thinks they can profit from you.

So this hole story is, at the moment it seems Kyler isn't a genius, Kyler isn't the smartest young QB and he doesn't see that he can make much more money by winning multiple or at least 1 SB in the next years. He seems to be a me first guy that doesn't have the gravita to lead a team of men.

And that is why I thought, trade him now when you get the most out of him and try to get a young QB with whom you have a chance to win it all almost every year. And not only in the years where everything goes right and your way. Since as long as you don't win 1 SB it is much more likely to not go your way. (that also is some statistic somewhere, probably screwed by Brady but nonethless).

Kyler isn't crazy enough to think that accepting a contract that's $10 million per year less than his market value would allow Steve Keim to put together a championship level roster. I don't even think the Steve Keim fan Boys around here could make that claim.

He had Kyler on a rookie contract and still has the team in cap hell with sub par talent all over. Come on now.

If you're going to play for a crappy, losing organization like the Cardinals, you make as much money as you can because that's the trade off you are making. If you want to win championships, you go somewhere else.

So in a sense I do agree with you, Kyler is "all about the money". If he wasn't, he'd be demanding a trade already.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler isn't crazy enough to think that accepting a contract that's $10 million per year less than his market value would allow Steve Keim to put together a championship level roster.
So you are on team "Kyler carried the team into the playoffs"?

From what I saw, the team was good enough to be a playoff team, but lost to many pieces in the process. And Kyler wasn't even remotly good enough solo to carrie the team to a playoff clinching win or a playoff win.

I also think that the injury to D.Hop cost us the chance but again, others make that without a D.Hop type of WR for at least 1 game when it counts. Kyler coudln't so difficult at least.

Is Keim a great drafter? No
Is Keim a great trader? Yes
Is Keim good in FA? Yes/No in between

Are there worse GM out there? Oh yes, many. So I dunno

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that every QB contract signed raises the 5th year option and both tags.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We shouldn't be stupid enough to be one of those teams.

You could easily argue that we haven't. We didn't pay Kirk or Jones huge contracts although due to the massive holes on the team, maybe they should have. Or planned better. SMH

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
You could easily argue that we haven't. We didn't pay Kirk or Jones huge contracts although due to the massive holes on the team, maybe they should have. Or planned better. SMH
I don't believe we were ever paying Kirk that huge contract. Maybe Jones, but he had already asked for a trade last year and seemed to be out the door. Definitely, we should have planned better.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe we were ever paying Kirk that huge contract. Maybe Jones, but he had already asked for a trade last year and seemed to be out the door. Definitely, we should have planned better.
I don't believe that we had any plan of paying either. That is what is so frustrating.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I prefer being a complete idiot. I could of planned better, live fast, die young, leave a good looking corps, we’ll just didn’t work out! World will suffer me , hehe.

Bought ocean front property in the Philippine, planned on Chile, was gone 6 months. Chasing moby dick and writing poetry.

back to the topic at hand. Cards married Kyler 7 more years till he is 32. If the cap don’t expand like plannned……
$46 million will be about 1/4.of teams money, but it is what a an cost. He is still small, been hurt every year, but proved resilient and dynamic when healthy. I like the unicorn.

But it is not without risks, seems any big signing has trouble for the cards, fitz being the exception. So many got paid then layer down with injury Or attitude. It KM is the smallest QB ever drafted and is at higher risk, more then Vick, or Cunningham, young, Jackson or Mahomes.it is just true.

I hope Conner reduces risk, If KK can balance our offense more. Basically playoff teams know how to beat the cardinals. Ignore the run game! So I’m all in, but I don’t expect KM to last 7 more years, hope I’m wrong. He made it to his big guaranteed contract. Is set for life. But seems more like a slot machine, then a poker tournament.
deal the cards

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have now figured out the expected cap rises.

At 4.4 billion a year on it's last TV deal, the cap went up an average of 10 million a year.

The new TV deal is for 10 billion a year for 10 years so we should see an average of 23 million in salary increases each year. Projected cap in 2023 is 224 million. In reality it is probably going to be 237 million or close to another 30 million increase like this last year.

This is how they will pay for Rodgers big contract.

Bumpity bump.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I have now figured out the expected cap rises.

At 4.4 billion a year on it's last TV deal, the cap went up an average of 10 million a year.

The new TV deal is for 10 billion a year for 10 years so we should see an average of 23 million in salary increases each year. Projected cap in 2023 is 224 million. In reality it is probably going to be 237 million or close to another 30 million increase like this last year.

This is how they will pay for Rodgers big contract.

You must be registered for see images attach