OT: The NFL Combine Weekend thread. Mar 3 - Mar 6

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like it's going to be EDGE in round 1 after the combine. One of those guys should be available.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be but there will also be O-line, CB and WO to select without a reach.

I watched the combine drills. I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the CB's.

Trent McDuffie super reminds me of Byron Murphy. Kyler Gordon was meh. Booth didn't compete. I still like McCreary but he's likely limited to the slot and not worth a 1st. I didn't even like Ahmad Gardner. I know he tested well and his measurables look great but he just didn't look right to me. I'm sure he will be great.

For me CB should be off the board in round 1. You're best waiting for the next bunch. I liked Britt-Taylor, I thought he looked good. Little stiff but not bad. I thought Damarri Mathis looked good for a guy later in the draft. I think I'd rather wait.

But sure O line and WR are possible (and CB).

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm thinking we need to go offense. That said, I don't want us to reach and still want to try to stick to BPA to a degree, but this team will ride or die with the offense--especially with Mr. "Who cares if we can't stop the run" Joseph. Outgunning teams must be our bread and butter.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched the combine drills. I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the CB's.

Trent McDuffie super reminds me of Byron Murphy. Kyler Gordon was meh. Booth didn't compete. I still like McCreary but he's likely limited to the slot and not worth a 1st. I didn't even like Ahmad Gardner. I know he tested well and his measurables look great but he just didn't look right to me. I'm sure he will be great.

For me CB should be off the board in round 1. Your best waiting for the next bunch. I liked Britt-Taylor, I thought he looked good. Little stiff but not bad. I thought Damarri Mathis looked good for a guy later in the draft. I think I'd rather wait.

But sure O line and WR are possible (and CB).

Me too, and I'm OK with that.

McDuffie, Murphy, Wilson, Bubba, Thompson is a pretty good Nickel package - IMO.

*must say, (subject to FA) I'm hoping we address R-guard for the next decade.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

McDuffie, Murphy, Wilson, Bubba, Thompson is a pretty good Nickel package - IMO.

Not worth a 1st round pick. Rookie corners rarely make an impact on games anyhow. Best to use that pick on somebody who can come in and be a difference maker right away, like a WR2 lined up across from Hopkins

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking we need to go offense. That said, I don't want us to reach and still want to try to stick to BPA to a degree, but this team will ride or die with the offense--especially with Mr. "Who cares if we can't stop the run" Joseph. Outgunning teams must be our bread and butter.

I'd rather go Guard than WR I think. Personally I think Keim signs a WR in FA and drafts someone lower.

Stout

Reaction score
I'd rather go Guard than WR I think. Personally I think Keim signs a WR in FA and drafts someone lower.
I think that would be fine--I'd trust him more to sign a WR than to draft another bust high. It must be an outside WR, though, unless we're talking multiples--we don't need a high-priced slot. Moore HAS to sink or swim in the slot. Outside shot at a TE, perhaps, but the player would have to be insanely talented. I don't know the draft pool well enough to know the prospects there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought Murphy was super meh through his first 2 seasons. Looked good through the first 10 games or so last year then super meh again once our pass rush died off. Still not sold on him. I'd rather not repeat that process with his clone. Especially for a 1st round pick.

I'd be very happy with a Guard. Johnson, Green or Linderbaum are all great. I think (hope) one of them is still there. That would be fine with me.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not worth a 1st round pick. Rookie corners rarely make an impact on games anyhow. Best to use that pick on somebody who can come in and be a difference maker right away, like a WR2 lined up across from Hopkins

Marco Wilson was selected in the 4th rd and putting aside his injury had an 'immediate' impact.

And even a future Hall of Famer like FITZ had a first season adjustment to make when he entered the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that would be fine--I'd trust him more to sign a WR than to draft another bust high. It must be an outside WR, though, unless we're talking multiples--we don't need a high-priced slot. Moore HAS to sink or swim in the slot. Outside shot at a TE, perhaps, but the player would have to be insanely talented. I don't know the draft pool well enough to know the prospects there.

I wouldn't rule him out resigning Green.

I want Sammy Watkins. He's a massive injury risk, he barely goes a season without missing 2-3 games at least but I think he's you would get him for sub $5m (He signed for $5m last year). Still only 28 I think he would be good value. But you would have to draft a WR to cover him for injury.

I like James Washington from Steelers too. Under utilized in that offense and with Ben's dead arm. I think he has potential well above his value.

Obviously these are signings that are looking for value seeing as we have limited resources.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well yeah that too. Keim sucks at drafting wide receivers. He sucks at drafting but especially wide receivers.

Stout

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule him out resigning Green.

I want Sammy Watkins. He's a massive injury risk, he barely goes a season without missing 2-3 games at least but I think he's you would get him for sub $5m (He signed for $5m last year). Still only 28 I think he would be good value. But you would have to draft a WR to cover him for injury.

I like James Washington from Steelers too. Under utilized in that offense and with Ben's dead arm. I think he has potential well above his value.

Obviously these are signings that are looking for value seeing as we have limited resources.
I'd puke if we bring Green back. Washington is an intriguing player and wouldn't break the bank. I think they've been wasting him there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd puke if we bring Green back. Washington is an intriguing player and wouldn't break the bank. I think they've been wasting him there.

Why puke on Green? He was WR32 in yards. Considering there are 32 WR1's that's a pretty fair number for a guy on $6m playing with 2 other WR's with a hefty target share no?

He only had 92 targets. Everyone else above him had 103 min. Most 120+.

I think he did well. Obviously there was the Green Bay thing but I don't think you can really put than on him. Obviously didn't hear the play change.

You would be very lucky to get that production out of a drafted WR, even in round 1.

Stout

Reaction score
He was clearly a problem with this team despite decent numbers. Add in that he's another year older, and no thank you. If it were just age and #s, maybe offer him a bargain basement deal. But he was too lacking in effort and made too many head scratching plays for my taste.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis ran a 4.78 at 341 pounds, for comparison sake Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77 at his combine at 205 pounds. I realize 40 time isn't a stat you typically care about at DT but it does show how athletic Davis actually is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Davis ran a 4.78 at 341 pounds, for comparison sake Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77 at his combine at 205 pounds. I realize 40 time isn't a stat you typically care about at DT but it does show how athletic Davis actually is.

He’ll be tough to catch if he’s returning a fumble 40 yards in a straight line. Seriously though those numbers shouldn’t be possible at that size… Ppl don’t really how big that is for a DT. Vince Wilfork was 323 lbs at his combine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’ll be tough to catch if he’s returning a fumble 40 yards in a straight line. Seriously though those numbers shouldn’t be possible at that size… Ppl don’t really how big that is for a DT. Vince Wilfork was 323 lbs at his combine.

He's like 4 inches taller than Wilfork though. He's huge, like Leonard Big Davis huge, but yes he's an exceptional athlete.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marco Wilson was selected in the 4th rd and putting aside his injury had an 'immediate' impact.

And even a future Hall of Famer like FITZ had a first season adjustment to make when he entered the NFL.

What was Marco's immediate impact? He was just an average to below average body out there. Didn't help us win any games. He could be replaced by any cheap veteran. I'd rather not waste any more premium capital on Vance Joseph. Give Kliff something new to work with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard