Overtime Solution - just for fun

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
So, with all the hand-wringing and complaining about how the Bills offense never got a chance, I thought it would be fun to post ideas, serious or ridiculous.

My ridiculous (but I think it would be really exciting) idea. No coin flip. Both teams offenses start on the opposing teams 25, just like college. But this would happen at the same time.

So picture that Overtime starts. Bills Offense on KC's 25 going against KC's defense, and KC's offense on the Bills 25 going against the Bills D. The ref blows the whistle and whoever scores a touchdown first, wins the game. No 4 downs, just go until someone scores. If the Defense intercepts the pass or forces a fumble, it stops the play and the offense can't snap the ball for 10 seconds.

Can you imagine watching split screen as both teams are trying to score at the same time? Talk about frenetic crazy heart-pounding action! I'd love to see the USFL try it our just for ****'s and giggles.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I like the idea of simply extending the game until someone scores. No coin flip, no nothing. You simply keep the game going from right where it is, just like at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters, keep playing after switching directions. It is simply the start of the 5th 15 minute period/quarter, but with sudden death.

If a team scores on last play of regular time to tie it up, they simply kick off to other team like they normally would. That is the fairest way possible. And it would bring in one big strategy decision: If you were 7 behind and scored a TD on last play of regulation time, you would have to make the decision of tying game with an extra point kick and then having to kick off to other team, or trying to win game with 2 point conversion so you don't have to give ball back to other team.

This seems so obvious to me, removes the necessity of coming up with some twisted addition to the rules, like a silly coin flip, or some version of college OT. This way simply keeps the sanctity and regular version of the game in tact. Why hasn't anyone ever brought this up before? Or have they?

They originally changed the OT to avoid playing so long to the detriment of players' health. IF still the main concern, then limit OT to one extra period, and since game nearly always would be decided in OT by a FG, then you have a extra point kick 'contest' starting at the 25 and moving back 5 yards continually until someone misses.

The main thing is you have removed any OT procedure that would bring luck or anything else unrelated to football into it, like a coin flip, witch's brew, or crystal ball. No rock, paper, scissors game either.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of like that idea on possession. If you score to tie the game up and force OT, the other team gets the ball first

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I kind of like that idea on possession. If you score to tie the game up and force OT, the other team gets the ball first
This seems no different than winning the coin toss. the team that gets the ball first would have the better odds to win.
The point is if the first 60 minutes end in a tie, both teams should at least have a chance to effect the outcome in overtime. Not just whoever is lucky enough to get the ball first.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I could go with eliminating sudden death (give each team a chance to possess the ball).

However, as much as I was happy to see buffalo take the lead with 13 seconds left, you got to admit the better team won. Buffalos defense was completely out of gas.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems no different than winning the coin toss. the team that gets the ball first would have the better odds to win.
The point is if the first 60 minutes end in a tie, both teams should at least have a chance to effect the outcome in overtime. Not just whoever is lucky enough to get the ball first.
Oh, I totally agree. Had just never thought about the possession thing. Makes it more like regulation - the last team with the ball is likely to win. Sure, you forced OT, but now you must stop the other team on D and get the ball back.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the idea of simply extending the game until someone scores. No coin flip, no nothing. You simply keep the game going from right where it is, just like at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters, keep playing after switching directions. It is simply the start of the 5th 15 minute period/quarter, but with sudden death.

If a team scores on last play of regular time to tie it up, they simply kick off to other team like they normally would. That is the fairest way possible. And it would bring in one big strategy decision: If you were 7 behind and scored a TD on last play of regulation time, you would have to make the decision of tying game with an extra point kick and then having to kick off to other team, or trying to win game with 2 point conversion so you don't have to give ball back to other team.

This seems so obvious to me, removes the necessity of coming up with some twisted addition to the rules, like a silly coin flip, or some version of college OT. This way simply keeps the sanctity and regular version of the game in tact. Why hasn't anyone ever brought this up before? Or have they?

They originally changed the OT to avoid playing so long to the detriment of players' health. IF still the main concern, then limit OT to one extra period, and since game nearly always would be decided in OT by a FG, then you have a extra point kick 'contest' starting at the 25 and moving back 5 yards continually until someone misses.

The main thing is you have removed any OT procedure that would bring luck or anything else unrelated to football into it, like a coin flip, witch's brew, or crystal ball. No rock, paper, scissors game either.
great Idea, I think this is the best solution as long as you want to keep sudden death, else you make it like in the NFCAA I think Fans like that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fully endorse removing the FG from football entirely. Stop rewarding failure

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Play it like playoff hockey. Play the entire overtime period until the end and see what the score is. Keep playing until it’s decided

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I fully endorse removing the FG from football entirely. Stop rewarding failure

I don't think its failure when a team, built on defense, field position, and ball control, wins a game 6-3 or similar. After all, we do call the game FOOTball. Kicking, along with special teams, are an important part of the game.

If we remove the kicking, maybe we should rename our game so as not to be confused with what the rest of the world knows as football. What might we call it? I have no suggestions whatsoever.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I don't think its failure when a team, built on defense, field position, and ball control, wins a game 6-3 or similar. After all, we do call the game FOOTball. Kicking, along with special teams, are an important part of the game.

If we remove the kicking, maybe we should rename our game so as not to be confused with what the rest of the world knows as football. What might we call it? I have no suggestions whatsoever.
Calvinball!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been saying this for decades. play the tiebreaker first. That way both teams know the outcome if it's a tie the team that lost the tiebreaker knows that. That way one team will do everything it can to avoid the tie.

So if Buffalo lost the tiebreaker before the game, when they score to go up 35-33, instead of kicking the XP to go up 3, they have to go for 2 because they know if the game ends in a tie, they lose.

Of course he doesn't really have any better idea what the tiebreaker should be. In soccer easy, penalty kicks, in football not so easy.

Only for playoff games of course

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hey listen, Bills fans can bitch & moan all they want. They choked their chance...should’ve never been OT! Plus the Bills HC failed to pooch kick with :13 seconds left, which ultimately led to their defeat. Poor game management on his part!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t need to do anything! It’s fine the bills have no complaint they had many chances with their number 1 defense to stop the Cheifs and failed. Why on earth should they keep getting opportunities? They knew if they gave up a TD it’s over they failed! I would say if anything in the playoffs only home field should be rewarded with getting the ball get rid of the coin flip, but just for the playoffs so one extra reason home field counts and they all know coming into a OT the home team would automatically get the ball!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
They need to remove the XP for sure. It’s so gimmicky in the first place then they move it back 12 yards? Lol.
Hell no, it’s totally changed many many games with miss after miss! In fact it’s created more excitement imo.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, with all the hand-wringing and complaining about how the Bills offense never got a chance, I thought it would be fun to post ideas, serious or ridiculous.

My ridiculous (but I think it would be really exciting) idea. No coin flip. Both teams offenses start on the opposing teams 25, just like college. But this would happen at the same time.

So picture that Overtime starts. Bills Offense on KC's 25 going against KC's defense, and KC's offense on the Bills 25 going against the Bills D. The ref blows the whistle and whoever scores a touchdown first, wins the game. No 4 downs, just go until someone scores. If the Defense intercepts the pass or forces a fumble, it stops the play and the offense can't snap the ball for 10 seconds.

Can you imagine watching split screen as both teams are trying to score at the same time? Talk about frenetic crazy heart-pounding action! I'd love to see the USFL try it our just for ****'s and giggles.

This would be fun but I think would need to start at the 35. That should give both teams enough room.

I'd add in that if either team gets pushed back past the 45 due to pens or sacks they lose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose