Yesterday I Cut the Cord and found something Surprising

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
YoutubeTV is likely going to lose the ESPN network of channels starting tomorrow. I am actually okay with it, as Youtube is going to lower the price of their service $15 a month while they negotiate. I already have the Disney + bundle so I was already getting it. I kinda with they don't get it back and keep the rates lower.
Wow, lose ABC and ESPN right before the bowl season sucks for YouTube tv.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I cut the cord, tried many options, hated them all, went back to Direct TV. Happy again
What didn’t you like? I used to pay about $140/month with directv for only two receivers. Had tons of issues with receivers freezing and having to reset. Rain fade with satellite.
Now I pay about $75/mo. Never have issue with service as long as WiFi is reliable. Can take the roku or stick with us anywhere and have tv.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s what I’m afraid of

You can trial Youtube TV for free Shane. No need to stop one for the other.

Also, with a little bit of technical fiddling you could set up a VPN so Youtube thinking you are in AZ so you get live games.

Video here -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Two things to consider. There is a cost involved, and it's much easier to to use a VPN through a browser like Chrome as you just download a plugin. You can set it up on your router so all traffic is redirected but that takes more work and depends which router you have.

But..it seems you only have to do this for 3 months as Dreamcast said after 3 months it locks in your location. So at that point you could cancel the VPN and watch through your TV using the app.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I cut cord from Directv about three years ago. We use Slingtv, which has PAC 12 network. Something Directv never had.

Have you been able to watch all the NFL Fox games for free this year? I'm curious to know if this is working for anyone else with Sling.

Just goto your regional Fox game in the guide, press record, and record all, not just the one episode. That part is important.

Come Sunday at 1 PM Eastern, wala, every 1 PM Fox game is there as a new recording in your DVR, not just your one regional Fox game. Same thing with the late Fox games. This has worked for me since week 1.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I use YouTube tv like it. But suns are blocked out sometimes have to watch next day
I share YouTube TV with my nephew in Seattle, so none of the local AZ sports are blacked out :thumbup:. Plus, get to keep up with news from the NorthWest.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It is. We get the 'local' game which is Seattle Seahawks ('cause we share with someone in Seattle) but we just switch to broadcast channel (with hd antenna) to watch the local Cards game.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What didn’t you like? I used to pay about $140/month with directv for only two receivers. Had tons of issues with receivers freezing and having to reset. Rain fade with satellite.
Now I pay about $75/mo. Never have issue with service as long as WiFi is reliable. Can take the roku or stick with us anywhere and have tv.

Constant buffering. Constant packages changing. Impossible to get Ballys sports. Channels that don't meet my wife and I's viewing habits. Really poor comparative ability to record shows.

I have never had an issue with Direct TV and receivers freezing.

I am paying $168 a month with Direct TV, the Sunday Ticket, HBO Max, the Enhanced Sports Package, and 3 receivers.

I tried Youtube, Hulu, and Sling and quickly hated them all.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Constant buffering. Constant packages changing. Impossible to get Ballys sports. Channels that don't meet my wife and I's viewing habits. Really poor comparative ability to record shows.

I have never had an issue with Direct TV and receivers freezing.

I am paying $168 a month with Direct TV, the Sunday Ticket, HBO Max, the Enhanced Sports Package, and 3 receivers.

I tried Youtube, Hulu, and Sling and quickly hated them all.
Yeah, part of the reason I ended up ditching Directv is because I had a bunch of crappy old equipment that they never offered the upgrade after all the years. Kept giving me the run around.
There are a couple things I miss with Dtv but not enough to outweigh the cost savings and plan freedom the streaming services provide. I hated being on the multi year contract with Dtv. With the streaming, I can cancel/restart or change from month to month as I please. I will say we don't record too much, so that function doesn't really affect us.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Have you been able to watch all the NFL Fox games for free this year? I'm curious to know if this is working for anyone else with Sling.

Just goto your regional Fox game in the guide, press record, and record all, not just the one episode. That part is important.

Come Sunday at 1 PM Eastern, wala, every 1 PM Fox game is there as a new recording in your DVR, not just your one regional Fox game. Same thing with the late Fox games. This has worked for me since week 1.
I have never tried the Fox trick. However, I am using NFL Sunday Ticket streaming service thru my nephews student plan. I am able to catch all the Cardinal games that way.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I cut the cord and cut YoutubeTV after they threw more channels on the package and raised the price by 25%.

We don't miss having Live tv at all, other than sports and the Macy's Thanksgiving parade there is nothing to watch.
And sports I can get it with alternative streams pretty easily. When the NFL will have an app that will let me buy the single game or the entire Cardinals season I will get that one until then screw them.

But as a service was pretty solid, DVR and VOD worked very nice, never had buffering or low definition problems.
The expensive Cox Contour whole house DVR my FIL has gets stuck with the 3 dots spinning a lot more than YoutubeTV did.
I will say YoutubeTV was convienent, start and quit at any time, no contracts, and their customer service was very good.

And as a bonus because we don't have Disney Channel or Nick Jr my kids are not bombarded by commercials while they watch 2 episodes of paw patrol or Elena of Avalor and they don't ask for that may toys and stuff. They don't even know some of the things exists and even when they see them on a shelf in target they are not that interested. Commercials are good, they work too good !

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just jumping in to say YT TV is fantastic, but if it wasn’t for Cardinals and the NFL, I have absolutely ZERO reason to watch cable TV. It’s all boring nonsense used to drive commercials to you, why pay for it? Netflix, HBO Max, Prime, etc., have no commercials and you get what you want on demand vs a scheduled lineup during the day. Also it gets you reading the news instead of partaking in the terrible 24 hour news cycle of various networks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're at the point where other than sports I don't watch cable. I watch UCLA hoops games, NFL games and Survivor that's it.

GF almost exclusively watches youtube but not the tv just various channels she likes. We have AMazon Prime and Netflix, think we still have Disney + haven't watched in awhile. And I have Sunday Ticket streaming.

The sucky part is right now to get what I want I am still paying too much for cable. i think eventually I can cut that to just internet and watch pac 12 on Sling and get most of the other UCLA games on Sling as well

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We're at the point where other than sports I don't watch cable. I watch UCLA hoops games, NFL games and Survivor that's it.

GF almost exclusively watches youtube but not the tv just various channels she likes. We have AMazon Prime and Netflix, think we still have Disney + haven't watched in awhile. And I have Sunday Ticket streaming.

The sucky part is right now to get what I want I am still paying too much for cable. i think eventually I can cut that to just internet and watch pac 12 on Sling and get most of the other UCLA games on Sling as well

Growing up in Hollywood as a teenager, I watched every single UCLA basketball game during Wooden's 10+ year run of Championships. I would never go out on Fri/Sat nights during bb season. Had to listen to Dick Enberg do the UCLA TV games. I even went to Alcindor's freshmen vs varsity game where the freshmen beat the varsity team. That freshman team could have won the Nat. Championship that year if allowed to play. If not mistaken, I believe they only lost 1 game in their 3 years of varsity ball, after winning all their freshmen games.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If youtube loses the Disney Channels, you can use the $15 savings to just get ESPN+ for $6.99.
Exactly. You can get Disney +, ESPN +, and Hulu for cheaper than the $15 savings off of Youtube TV.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Weird, but everyone has that one show. Mine was Dawson's Creek as a late teenager. (thank you high school sweetheart)