Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I call bullspit. Ayton isn’t that insulated from those comments, especially with his entourage and teammates

I think it was a smart way to sidetrack the issue. No one in the media wanted to dig deep on it either with it not being true.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton could end up being a superstar and still frustrate people because he could be more. He kinda reminds me of Robert Parish that way. Golden State wanted him to be so much more. They traded him to Boston where he ended up being a solid anchor at center for a perennial contender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton could end up being a superstar and still frustrate people because he could be more. He kinda reminds me of Robert Parish that way. Golden State wanted him to be so much more. They traded him to Boston where he ended up being a solid anchor at center for a perennial contender.

Sometimes we have to accept a player for who they are. I'm not sure if Parish was a much different player on the Celtics except he was surrounded by good players who wanted to win. That brings out the best in a player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes we have to accept a player for who they are. I'm not sure if Parish was a much different player on the Celtics except he was surrounded by good players who wanted to win. That brings out the best in a player.
Exactly. Parish, to me, is the best analogy for where we are with DA. BTW, the Warriors traded Parish and the third player in the draft for the #1 overall pick. They chose Joe Barry Carroll. The Celtics got Parish and then picked Kevin McHale #3.

Ouch.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Parish, to me, is the best analogy for where we are with DA. BTW, the Warriors traded Parish and the third player in the draft for the #1 overall pick. They chose Joe Barry Carroll. The Celtics got Parish and then picked Kevin McHale #3.

Ouch.
Yeah and we were so big man desperate that we signed him near the end of his career only to discover he wasn't just near the end he was already past his use by date.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think DA is a much better athlete than what either Parish or Carroll was back in the day.
Well. Parish is in the HOF. I think it is not outlandish to think DA could be there someday too.

I said could.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Parish is in the HOF. I think it is not outlandish to think DA could be there someday too.

I said could.
I think it’s pretty outlandish even with the “could” caveat. He doesn’t he really drive of a HOFer. The Suns would have to end up a dynasty like those Celts teams to get Ayton into the HOF.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s pretty outlandish even with the “could” caveat. He doesn’t he really drive of a HOFer.
I agree with this but ultimately his numbers will decide. He had one historic playoff run and was in the top 10 in multiple categories all season long (which I posted). What if he keeps that up? You think he gets in or will he be one of those players with good numbers that's on the outside looking in? Assuming he plays long enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this but ultimately his numbers will decide. He had one historic playoff run and was in the top 10 in multiple categories all season long (which I posted). What if he keeps that up? You think he gets in or will he be one of those players with good numbers that's on the outside looking in? Assuming he plays long enough.

people need to stop with the “historic playoff run” stuff. It’s the same kind of “historic rookie season” stuff that went out and found stats to make it historic.

he averaged 15.8 ppg 11.8 rebounds and 1.1 block per game. The “historic“ part comes from shooting 65% but that was almost entirely on dunks and putbacks. 16/12/1 is a very good playoff run, but the “historic” part is searching for stats to make a semantic argument. There are lots of Big guys who had much better/bigger impact playoff runs at his age.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Historical efficiency doesn't even get you on All-Star teams let alone the Hall of Fame. No one remembers who led the league in FG % each season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people need to stop with the “historic playoff run” stuff. It’s the same kind of “historic rookie season” stuff that went out and found stats to make it historic.

he averaged 15.8 ppg 11.8 rebounds and 1.1 block per game. The “historic“ part comes from shooting 65% but that was almost entirely on dunks and putbacks. 16/12/1 is a very good playoff run, but the “historic” part is searching for stats to make a semantic argument. There are lots of Big guys who had much better/bigger impact playoff runs at his age.
I get what you are saying but that is selling him short. No those are not the only accomplishments last year or that run. For most of the season he was in the top 10 statistically in many areas for his position. Then he had that playoff run. You will get no argument from me in regards to how much he is assisted verses creates his own shot. Chris Paul won't be here forever. I have said repeatedly without someone setting him up he might completely fade. Having said that his numbers are nothing to scoff at IMO.

In the regular season Ayton became one of six players in the NBA history to rank in the top 20 in shooting percentage (a career-high 62.6%), rebounds (10.5) and blocks (1.2). Can you imagine if he had been more consistent? Only 5 other players doing that is nothing to scoff at.

Ayton became the first player in 38 years to shoot at least 50% in his first 14 career playoff games (70.9%). There were no other better/bigger players to accomplish that in the last 38 years.

Ayton became the 10th player in the last 21 years to record at least nine double-doubles in their first 14 career playoff games. That only happened 9 other times in the last 21 years.

Ayton may never live up to his draft position but he is hardly a bum. Again, my question wasn't around how you think he put up the numbers last season or if you think he could continue to do it. My question is, IF he puts up regular season numbers like the above and in the playoffs year after year do you think he gets in?

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is a very good NBA player and his rookie season would of got him rookie of the year honors like 90% of the time

His biggest problem is Luka Doncic was drafted #3. By the way Mavs fans question Luka’s commitment to the game and him being in shape also.

Saying he’s not a hard worker just flat out isn’t true. When he came into the league his defense was laughable and even made fun of by Embiid, but here we are and he’s flat out elite on defense. He’s worked his ass off for that to happen.

His offense is a little better but still not a go to post guy, but why? It’s because there not asking for him to do it. Bomani was talking on his podcast and he had the stats but he was pretty much saying that iso center post up was super inefficient that’s why nobody really does it anymore. Not AD, Jokic, KAT, Embiid the center position down low has become a lot of switching rolling and cutting focusing on movement not stopping the ball for an iso play.

The game isn’t played like that anymore.

He’s being asked to anchor the defense. He’s our version of Gobert. Ayton can you 14 rebounds and guys here will focus on the 2 he didn’t get. It’s just how this place is. If you keep wanting him to be something he’s not your just setting yourself up to be angry.

AD, KAT, Embiid, Jokic all have question marks injury, conditioning, defense. There’s only 3-4 perfect complete players in the NBA. If your 7 feet and you can get 15-20 and be an all NBA caliber defender that’s pretty damn good. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Is he perfect? NOPE am I happy to have him YUP

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but that is selling him short. No those are not the only accomplishments last year or that run. For most of the season he was in the top 10 statistically in many areas for his position. Then he had that playoff run. You will get no argument from me in regards to how much he is assisted verses creates his own shot. Chris Paul won't be here forever. I have said repeatedly without someone setting him up he might completely fade. Having said that his numbers are nothing to scoff at IMO.

In the regular season Ayton became one of six players in the NBA history to rank in the top 20 in shooting percentage (a career-high 62.6%), rebounds (10.5) and blocks (1.2). Can you imagine if he had been more consistent? Only 5 other players doing that is nothing to scoff at.

Ayton became the first player in 38 years to shoot at least 50% in his first 14 career playoff games (70.9%). There were no other better/bigger players to accomplish that in the last 38 years.

Ayton became the 10th player in the last 21 years to record at least nine double-doubles in their first 14 career playoff games. That only happened 9 other times in the last 21 years.

Ayton may never live up to his draft position but he is hardly a bum. Again, my question wasn't around how you think he put up the numbers last season or if you think he could continue to do it. My question is, IF he puts up regular season numbers like the above and in the playoffs year after year do you think he gets in?

If we win multiple titles, yes.

If we don’t, no one even ever MENTIONS the HOF with him.

You can contort and cram whatever random different stats together and put a cap on the years when the stats matter to your hearts content, but there’s nothing historical about averaging 15.8 ppg/11.8 rebounds/1 block in the playoffs. That’s what he did for the course of the playoffs. It was easily his most consistent stretch of his entire career and a GREAT time to do it, but the idea he was “historical” is just laughable to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can contort and cram whatever random different stats together and put a cap on the years when the stats matter to your hearts content, but there’s nothing historical about averaging 15.8 ppg/11.8 rebounds/1 block in the playoffs. That’s what he did for the course of the playoffs. It was easily his most consistent stretch of his entire career and a GREAT time to do it, but the idea he was “historical” is just laughable to me.

Yeah if last year is the template for Ayton's entire pre-decline career we'll need a couple of titles for Ayton's name to enter the HOF discussion. Just like with Parish, without those titles he's just another decent big man.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton is a very good NBA player and his rookie season would of got him rookie of the year honors like 90% of the time

His biggest problem is Luka Doncic was drafted #3. By the way Mavs fans question Luka’s commitment to the game and him being in shape also.

Saying he’s not a hard worker just flat out isn’t true. When he came into the league his defense was laughable and even made fun of by Embiid, but here we are and he’s flat out elite on defense. He’s worked his ass off for that to happen.

His offense is a little better but still not a go to post guy, but why? It’s because there not asking for him to do it. Bomani was talking on his podcast and he had the stats but he was pretty much saying that iso center post up was super inefficient that’s why nobody really does it anymore. Not AD, Jokic, KAT, Embiid the center position down low has become a lot of switching rolling and cutting focusing on movement not stopping the ball for an iso play.

The game isn’t played like that anymore.

He’s being asked to anchor the defense. He’s our version of Gobert. Ayton can you 14 rebounds and guys here will focus on the 2 he didn’t get. It’s just how this place is. If you keep wanting him to be something he’s not your just setting yourself up to be angry.

AD, KAT, Embiid, Jokic all have question marks injury, conditioning, defense. There’s only 3-4 perfect complete players in the NBA. If your 7 feet and you can get 15-20 and be an all NBA caliber defender that’s pretty damn good. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Is he perfect? NOPE am I happy to have him YUP

Just speaking for myself but whether Luka became a superstar or not has nothing to do with my criticisms of Ayton. After a year or two draft position is meaningless.

I also laugh at the generational playoff stuff. He had some great but some stinkers too. The Suns didn’t pay him because they don’t trust him yet. You don’t know what level of aggression or focus he’ll give you on any given night.

I’m already expecting a Suns-Warriors playoff series and you know Draymond is going to call him soft and get in his head. He’s going to test him and talk a lot of shiz. Even Jokic was pretty jovial about playing vs Ayton. Green is different.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just speaking for myself but whether Luka became a superstar or not has nothing to do with my criticisms of Ayton. After a year or two draft position is meaningless.

I also laugh at the generational playoff stuff. He had some great but some stinkers too. The Suns didn’t pay him because they don’t trust him yet. You don’t know what level of aggression or focus he’ll give you on any given night.

I’m already expecting a Suns-Warriors playoff series and you know Draymond is going to call him soft and get in his head. He’s going to test him and talk a lot of shiz. Even Jokic was pretty jovial about playing vs Ayton. Green is different.

But given what we’ve seen why would think Draymond would just be able to get in his head? We’ve seen him rise in the playoffs and you think he’s just going to crumble because Draymond calls him soft? By the way Draymond is averaging a triple single again this year he’s not close to the player he used to be

In career averages against Joker
Ayton 18.8/11.6
Jokic 25.7/ 12.1

Ayton def holds his own against Jokic and he’s the MVP of the league. Saying he’s “jovial” about facing him like he just feast on Ayton isn’t true at all.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

15/11 is easily the most consistent stretch of his career?

He averaged 16/10 his rookie year then followed it up with 18/11. What would you call that then?

You can’t just look at numbers they don’t tell the whole story about how someone impacts the game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But given what we’ve seen why would think Draymond would just be able to get in his head? We’ve seen him rise in the playoffs and you think he’s just going to crumble because Draymond calls him soft? By the way Draymond is averaging a triple single again this year he’s not close to the player he used to be

In career averages against Joker
Ayton 18.8/11.6
Jokic 25.7/ 12.1

Ayton def holds his own against Jokic and he’s the MVP of the league. Saying he’s “jovial” about facing him like he just feast on Ayton isn’t true at all.

Green’s impact goes beyond boxscore. He’s their most versatile defender and leads them in assists and rebounds. He can also handle the ball and make open 3’s. He will get in Ayton’s head and not sign a jersey for him after the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard