Suns @ Timberwolves Monday game thread 11-15-2021

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I also posted this in the "Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble" thread.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
DA sounds much more mature as he answers questions really getting into how he takes the vocal cues from CP3 and Book. I think he understands how his energy can pick us up when shots aren’t falling. Game 4 in the WCF when no one could make anything, we don’t win without his rim protection. We need DA to just play hard every night if we want to get back to where we wanna go.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also worth noting: Towns is a flat out awful defender. The Suns would have won this game by 20+ if they could have made a respectable amount of their shots at the rim. He does not rotate, he does not contest.

I am not yet convinced that he isn't Demarcus Cousins 2.0, only minus the Ts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suns had maybe five games all of last season where they shot that badly, and I can’t remember one they actually won.

you are supposed to get blown out shooting 20 percent from 3.

The Wolves didn't shoot much better. Good teams know how to win ugly games. Chris Paul's leadership is a huge part of that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that. There are a lot of guys that turn into something else in a competitive setting and are nice guys when out of that setting.

It's expected to be competitive in a game setting. However, the mentality of intentionally trying to hurt someone in competition is totally different. That carries over to who they are as a person.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's more bad teams figured how lose close games. Minny made several really dumb decisions that lost the game for them. This is why it is important to have smart players. This Suns team doesn't always shoot well, but it is a smart team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sluggish ugly win but I’ll take it. Ayton played with more force than we’ve seen this season. That’s a good thing. Still left a few things to be desired. Frank looked awfully tentative. Mcgee was active but no more leading a break. Paul was mercurial in the 4th (19pts). Book played well despite some brain farts. Forwards need to pick up their games. All of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also worth noting: Towns is a flat out awful defender. The Suns would have won this game by 20+ if they could have made a respectable amount of their shots at the rim. He does not rotate, he does not contest.

I am not yet convinced that he isn't Demarcus Cousins 2.0, only minus the Ts.
True but he’s also likely the most offensively talented big in the league. Wow did put on a display last night. That said the refs let him get away with a lot of traveling. One play I swear he changed pivot foot four times.

We lose last night if the idiot wolves keep getting the ball to KAT. Why they went away from him is anybody’s guess. He could’ve poured in 50 easily last night.

Also, weird that we hid our all world (sarcasm) defender on a scrub and assigned crowder to guard KAT to begin and end game.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
True but he’s also likely the most offensively talented big in the league.
Tough call, I think Jokic still has the edge here because of the playmaking, and Embiid is barely half a tick behind. But, I can see the argument, and I bet our opinion of KAT will change if/when he's on a better team, in the same way the narrative changed around Booker when the team around him got better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Wolves didn't shoot much better. Good teams know how to win ugly games. Chris Paul's leadership is a huge part of that.
Yup. And book was big down the stretch (other than missing FTs - this team is missing a lot more this year it seems)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tough call, I think Jokic still has the edge here because of the playmaking, and Embiid is barely half a tick behind. But, I can see the argument, and I bet our opinion of KAT will change if/when he's on a better team, in the same way the narrative changed around Booker when the team around him got better.
Perhaps most diverse and effective weapons is a better way to put it. Does he drive as well as giannis? No but he’s not far behind and he can legitimately shoot. Does any other big shoot the 3 as well as him? He can post as well.

Embiid is better defensively but definitely behind offensively.

Jokic is the better all around player but doesn’t have the ability to drive like KAT.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sluggish ugly win but I’ll take it. Ayton played with more force than we’ve seen this season. That’s a good thing. Still left a few things to be desired. Frank looked awfully tentative. Mcgee was active but no more leading a break. Paul was mercurial in the 4th (19pts). Book played well despite some brain farts. Forwards need to pick up their games. All of them.

Depending on you look at it, Frank's lack of athleticism or the Wolve's great athleticism really kept frank from being productive in this one. That team is full of young athletic guys, which is why they lost being that their young and no basketball smart.

Yup. And book was big down the stretch (other than missing FTs - this team is missing a lot more this year it seems)

We were shooting decent during this win streak, awful to start the season. This game was putrid. We did better in the final 3 minutes last night than we did in closing minutes last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Frank Kaminsky but he has to produce against athletic teams as well.

There are a lot of those in the NBA.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After cards l had to take few days off watch sports lol

Watched highlights awrsome comeback in 4th big shots by paul and smooth book lol also looks like ayton showed up

Awesome 9 gm streak keep on risin suns!!

And cant forget toke hit to w!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't ask a guy to do something he cannot do.

That's why Frank is on a minimum contract but I can't think of a better player to have at the end of the bench. He has skills but he is more of a situation type player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can't ask a guy to do something he cannot do.
He rushes his shots and they come up short against athletic teams. We saw that last night and against the rockets - two very athletic teams. He’s got to be calm and play his game. He loses confidence when he’s playing against better athletes and it shows.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He rushes his shots and they come up short against athletic teams. We saw that last night and against the rockets - two very athletic teams. He’s got to be calm and play his game. He loses confidence when he’s playing against better athletes and it shows.

I can't think of a better example for Kaminsky than Chris Paul who never speeds up his game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson I can't figure out. He is either regressing, taking a back seat to others or simply is relying too much on spot up shooting. One thing I noticed is how much better say someone like Bridges is moving without the ball verses Cam this season. He makes Cam look like a statue. I think Cam was moving without the ball much better last season. Like I said before he is the most disappointing to me so far this season. He just seems so inactive at times on the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson I can't figure out. He is either regressing, taking a back seat to others or simply is relying too much on spot up shooting. One thing I noticed is how much better say someone like Bridges is moving without the ball verses Cam this season. He makes Cam look like a statue. I think Cam was moving without the ball much better last season. Like I said before he is the most disappointing to me so far this season. He just seems so inactive at times on the court.

The only reason I can figure out for Cam Johnson's slow start is that he built up his body to play power forward and it's affecting his game. He should really be a small forward.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can figure out for Cam Johnson's slow start is that he built up his body to play power forward and it's affecting his game. He should really be a small forward.
He will NEVER be a PF in the NBA.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam's strength by far this year is his defense. A very Ayton-like progression.
Except Cam has the second worst plus/minus on the team when he is on the court. The only person that is worse is Shamet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to think about, Jae Crowder and Cam Johnson are currently ranked #26 and #32 respectively among power forwards per RealGM.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose