Inject positive Cards media into my veins

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree completely. Hicks may give up a few yards here & there but a poor defensive alignment could give up the bigger plays. Our defense is playing pretty good right now. Once Collins is there mentally this defense should look even better.
Exactly. None of us supporting Vance playing hicks are doing so bc we think he’s the superior the player. We just recognize he might be better for the defense until Collins knowledge catches up, or even comes close to, Hicks’. Obviously Vance doesn’t believe that to be the case at present.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He does. But what hurts more is being in a poor defensive alignment for a given offensive play. Then it’s not just Hicks limited athleticism that hurts us it’s multiple players being a poor position to stop what’s coming. You know this. I’m surprised you think a rookie LB from a smaller school would be ready a few games into his rookie year to call a sophisticated defense.
I think the only way he is going to learn is by doing it and you are correct that Vance's defense is almost unnecessarily complex as stated by Denver players as the transitioned from Wade Phillip's defense to Vance's and then from Vance's to Fangio's.

I just find it funny that people complain about our run defense in one breath and then advocate for Hicks after. Hicks is one reason our run defense is bad even if he can call the plays, re-align players and call audibles. Teams run right at him because they know he is a liability.

I have landed on this. We are probably better right now as a defense with Hicks playing the snaps he is, but we aren't as good as we could be because Hicks is so limited.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yet again evidencing the fact that you don’t understand the mental aspect and responsibilities of Hick’s position.

Look I am NOT a Hicks fan. I can’t wait until Collins is ready to replace him. But we aren’t waiting on a physical maturity with Collins. We are waiting on his ability to read and diagnose offensive sets and be capable of calling out defenses. Each individual player doesn’t read the offense and decide where to be. That is literally part of Hicks’ job description.

I've been saying this all season. When Collins was drafted and Keim anointed him the starter, he also mentioned he'd be the green dot guy. That is the part of the game he's not ready for.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been saying this all season. When Collins was drafted and Keim anointed him the starter, he also mentioned he'd be the green dot guy. That is the part of the game he's not ready for.
I know, right? It's only been five games so I don't know why people are in such a rush to get this kid out there so he can learn from mistakes. If we were 0-5, yes, I would get that. But we are 5-0. As long as it is working, don't screw with it. It's not like Collins can't develop and improve as it is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the only way he is going to learn is by doing it and you are correct that Vance's defense is almost unnecessarily complex as stated by Denver players as the transitioned from Wade Phillip's defense to Vance's and then from Vance's to Fangio's.

I just find it funny that people complain about our run defense in one breath and then advocate for Hicks after. Hicks is one reason our run defense is bad even if he can call the plays, re-align players and call audibles. Teams run right at him because they know he is a liability.

I have landed on this. We are probably better right now as a defense with Hicks playing the snaps he is, but we aren't as good as we could be because Hicks is so limited.
I think you landed where a lot of us have been all along. And none of us are actually advocating for Hicks as much as we are advocating for waiting to swap in Collins until he is ready so we don’t take a step back, but rather a step forward when it happens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup. Maybe it’s just having played the position that makes me hyper sensitive to that aspect of ILB play. But truth be told, even my 10 year old who plays MLB in six man flag football is making reads of the offense and redirecting the other five kids where to line up and who to watch . . . and they play a 3-3 zone and I wouldn’t trust any of the other kids to do that because I haven’t been coaching them for 7 seasons and they don’t have the awareness of what to look for bc they haven’t been trained for it. Now imagine that a million times more complex and faster with substitutions and twice the number of players.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's not wrong. I keep tuning into shows thinking "This will be the weak the Cards lead the news. All the talk will be about how the Cards are the best etc" and nope. Nobody wants to believe us. Stomped the Browns, Stomped the Rams, Stomped the Titans. All on the road and they still won't give us our due. I think only if they beat Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay will they start taking us seriously.

I kinda prefer it that way though.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
check out Albert Breer's MMQB over at SI. so many interesting nuggets on the lead up and management of the game:
thanks for sharing. Especially liked the Hudson tidbit. and Kliff not watching game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I do think a clean game would go a long for for Arizona. I know this is picking nits, but a game without fumbled snaps, or hail mary's, or returns for TDs...just a simple, easy clean offensive football game.

The Chicago game on 12/5 will be the only cold weather game pre-playoffs and Green Bay is looking like the only cold weather playoff team we would potentially go on the road against. So that test is a little overstated. We have to show we can finish the year strong which is one of the few remaining hurdles to overcome.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think a clean game would go a long for for Arizona. I know this is picking nits, but a game without fumbled snaps, or hail mary's, or returns for TDs...just a simple, easy clean offensive football game.

The Chicago game on 12/5 will be the only cold weather game pre-playoffs and Green Bay is looking like the only cold weather playoff team we would potentially go on the road against. So that test is a little overstated. We have to show we can finish the year strong which is one of the few remaining hurdles to overcome.
The bright spot is we have overcome all this setbacks unlike past years where we’d fold up like a tent.
We don’t get to watch every game so we don’t see the bonehead calls or mistakes. The Chiefs dominated the WFT and Mahomes threw 2 picks. One I heard was terrible. But the fans in KC are just thrilled with the win.

I get your point. But overcoming these little mistakes are only going to galvanize this team. One mistake is not going to send this team into a tailspin.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Cold weather doesn't affect play; wet, windy conditions do.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
check out Albert Breer's MMQB over at SI. so many interesting nuggets on the lead up and management of the game:
This stood out to me:

"Veteran center Rodney Hudson, placed on injured reserve on Saturday, was planning on staying back in Arizona to rest his rib and shoulder injuries. But when he found out that Kingsbury was out, he asked to make the trip so he could help the coaches with the linemen on the sideline."

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like this on Kingsbury

"Back home in Arizona, he actually decided to use the three-hour block the game was played in to work ahead on the Texans, the Cardinals’ opponent next week, while keeping track of the score his team’s game on his phone.

Finally, with about three minutes left, he decided to tune in, most because he was happy for the guys and wanted to see them celebrate a win they’d so richly earned."

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is promising that some of this patience with people growing into their roles is being rewarded. Make no mistake, we are 100% in outlier world right now.

Steve Keim is the only GM who is on his 3rd HC.

Kliff Kingsbury was a failed college HC who had never coached at the NFL level in any capacity.

Kyler Murray was a size outlier with one year of college production at Oklahoma.

There is no way that in today's "win-now" NFL that this should be working but it is. Keim had an ok off-season last year and then a very good off-season this year. The staff changes have seemed to be for the better. Kliff's offense has improved every year and mostly based upon improving the talent within it. Leadership was an issue but instead of pointing fingers, veteran leaders were brought in. Kyler was developing but still needing help and so they improved the offensive line and brought in more weapons.

There could have been a lot of ego and finger pointing and calling out with this team. Lack leadership, Kyler should step up. Offense is too dependent on Kyler and DHop, Kliff needs to design better and call better plays. Roster is limited, Keim needs to step up. Ultimately, it seems like the mindset is such that if you need help, people will do their best to get you what you need rather than just telling others they need to figure it out.

It does seem like this team is the island of misfit toys but also is working out. A Bad News Bears vibe.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kliff's offense has improved every year and mostly based upon improving the talent within it.
agree with everything above but want to comment on this

Kliff was a developmental hire as a HC / OC in the NFL. I think he has applied the prior 2 years worth of experience to his scheme and playcalling.

He still isnt perfect, but has come way up the learning curve.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Man, Dallas had 2 redzone turnovers yesterday...one of them at the 1 foot line...and that game led every media show last night.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard