Situational Football

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler stops the clock in a situation where the only goal is to keep it running. WTF.

I agree you definitely want to get out of bounds there. But I think by the time he was all the way over there the speed he was moving with was going to make it hard for him to stop his momentum that he had.

Also, Vikings had 3 timeouts. As much as you don't want it, going out of bounds there isn't a make it or break it situation. Vikings kick the game winning attempt with seconds to spare as they drained the clock down...Plus they still had a timeout they hadn't used.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree you definitely want to get out of bounds there. But I think by the time he was all the way over there the speed he was moving with was going to make it hard for him to stop his momentum that he had.

Also, Vikings had 3 timeouts. As much as you don't want it, going out of bounds there isn't a make it or break it situation. Vikings kick the game winning attempt with seconds to spare as they drained the clock down...Plus they still had a timeout they hadn't used.
The game came down to the final play -- is this a sick joke? The Cards get a first down on that drive and the game is literally over. Instead Kyler brain farts -- he's a baseball player, he should be used to sliding in exactly this kind of situation -- and the game goes from being over to a nail-biter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You watched it from your home. K1 was the guy that got hit. He claims it affected the throw & there’s no reason to not believe him. Does it really matter? QB’s get hit all the time while they’re in the throwing motion. The flag should have been thrown, but it wasn’t. Looked blatant, but whatever.
I mean the trajectory of the ball was seemingly to the only wr there to receive it and the face mask didn’t slow down the pass so how much could it have affected the throw? He can say it did, but I can’t discern how? Not in direction or timing, so . . . ?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Uh no. A QB who is thinking slides 100 outta 100 times there.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The game came down to the final play -- is this a sick joke? The Cards get a first down on that drive and the game is literally over. Instead Kyler brain farts -- he's a baseball player, he should be used to sliding in exactly this kind of situation -- and the game goes from being over to a nail-biter.

Again, a first down would not have won the game. If Kyler threw a first down pass there the Vikings had all 3 timeouts, and the 2 minute warning stoppage.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I noticed that Simmons was pretty invisible during the game, but I really don't have any idea why. I think that Zaven Collins was probably oversold and it's 70% Vance being Vance and another 30% that Collins isn't ready to run the D yet.

The other side of that is Kyler has to make ungodly plays because he misses the layup play as designed. On the Kirk throw Chase Edmonds is RIGHT THERE and completely uncovered. Kyler misses these designed completions every game, makes magic happen, and a lot of people are like, "ZOMG! Kyler bailed out Kliff AGAIN!"
We need to see more Collins

Totally agree on KM

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Y'all just been given a shiny new Ferrari and are walking around it looking for scratches rather than jumping for joy.

We scored 34 points and none of those points were gimmes. There were no short fields or defensive scores. No turnovers to capitalize on. Those were 34 hard earned points that Kyler made for us. I remember when fans here would give their left nut for a 34 point game.

There were definitely some things in the game he could have done better. But you can say that about all QB's. Mahomes had a dumb INT yesterday throwing the ball mid sack. He had another grounding pen that pinned them back on a similar play. I doubt very much that he Chiefs fans are picking him apart on their forums right now and they lost. We won!

I'm no Kyler homer. I've wrote extensive film study threads on here about games where he has been poor. This wasn't one of them.

This was a game where he was 95% great and 5% bad and I don't understand why people are so focused on the 5%. Much more so in fact that games in the past where he has been 100% mediocre.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Love the win - as some have said, we have been on losing end of those FG's too many times.

Kyler played awesome. He isn't elite regarding football IQ but he is certainly elite in talent. I will take the excellent play with a few head scratchers.

Two minute offense (end of game) - awful. Abosulte worst case scenario outside of a turnover. Great teams run out the clock and win the game.

Hopkins - why don't we take shots with him near the goal line 1/1? That continues to baffle me.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned it in the gameday thread, but this year KK has taken 9 timeouts this season. Not 1 has been taken inside of 2 minutes of a half. The 2nd half having only 1 timeout while Minnesota was driving sucked because we couldn’t try to get the ball back on offense. Luckily I didn’t didn’t need the ball back, but that’s one of the most frustrating situational flaws we have every week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I noticed that Simmons was pretty invisible during the game, but I really don't have any idea why. I think that Zaven Collins was probably oversold and it's 70% Vance being Vance and another 30% that Collins isn't ready to run the D yet.

The other side of that is Kyler has to make ungodly plays because he misses the layup play as designed. On the Kirk throw Chase Edmonds is RIGHT THERE and completely uncovered. Kyler misses these designed completions every game, makes magic happen, and a lot of people are like, "ZOMG! Kyler bailed out Kliff AGAIN!"

Which throw to kirk? The deep one backing up Chase wasn't in the pattern he was blocking. On the INT, Conner, not Chase was in the game (unless both were in?).Do you mean the one where Kirk made the leaping catch I can't find video on it. Not saying it didn't happen just I'm not clear which play people are talkign about.

I should add on the INT Maxx is wide open underneath, maybe 5-6 yards but better than throwing into double coverage.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Which throw to kirk? The deep one backing up Chase wasn't in the pattern he was blocking. On the INT, Conner, not Chase was in the game (unless both were in?).Do you mean the one where Kirk made the leaping catch I can't find video on it. Not saying it didn't happen just I'm not clear which play people are talkign about.

I should add on the INT Maxx is wide open underneath, maybe 5-6 yards but better than throwing into double coverage.
Yeah. Maybe it was the INT.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Completed 81% of his passes for 400 yards, threw for 3, and ran for 30 yards & a 4th touchdown. No Cardinal QB in our history could do that. Sure, he needs to clean up a few things. They all do. Lamar Jackson just threw a pick 6. We have a 24 year old SUPERSTAR as the QB of our AZ Cardinals. And you’re really going to be critical. Lighten up my friend.
I agree that he's been lights-out this year, and (mostly) had an incredible day yesterday. If we get what we've gotten from him in the first 2 games the rest of the season, we're going to the playoffs and he has a shot at MVP. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical when he screws up big-time (the pick 6), because we should be critical of those plays. Like against Miami last year; it doesn't matter what you do in the rest of the game if one big play really costs your team the W (the fumble for a TD). Now, he didn't cost us, so great! And, as others have said, he put up incredible stats, so I don't think anybody's saying he put up a stinker or didn't have a great game, just that he had some bad mistakes. Both can be true.

Also, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. He had an INT last week, but it wasn't a killer, and I realize he will make mistakes. Nobody, not even Tom Terrific, is perfect.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that he's been lights-out this year, and (mostly) had an incredible day yesterday. If we get what we've gotten from him in the first 2 games the rest of the season, we're going to the playoffs and he has a shot at MVP. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical when he screws up big-time (the pick 6), because we should be critical of those plays. Like against Miami last year; it doesn't matter what you do in the rest of the game if one big play really costs your team the W (the fumble for a TD). Now, he didn't cost us, so great! And, as others have said, he put up incredible stats, so I don't think anybody's saying he put up a stinker or didn't have a great game, just that he had some bad mistakes. Both can be true.

Also, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. He had an INT last week, but it wasn't a killer, and I realize he will make mistakes. Nobody, not even Tom Terrific, is perfect.
I agree. Very good post. It’s no secret that I’m a huge K1 supporter. He’s been pretty much everything that I expected after I watched his every move at OU. My fear is that this team cannot win unless Murray is great. There’s no margin for error. Our OL is significantly overrated by too many on this board. Murray is running for his life way too much. It could be very well why he has occasional brain farts. Exhaustion affects you mentally just as much as it does physically. He may be able to overcome the burden of carrying this team at 24. But, will he be able to do it at 27 and beyond? This team needs to continue to rebuild this OL. DJ is a fine LT, but he’s not ever going to be great. Hudson is very good, but long in the tooth. Beachum is below average. The rest of that line is meh. We absolutely need to draft OL the next couple years.

mncardfan1

Reaction score
Also Dogs it on a sure first down if he hustled and throws an int everyone in the stadium could see ahead of time..
I believe Kyler did something to his right quad and it effected that run and the sack that was on the next play. The fact he ran out of bounds on our last "drive" was simply kyler being kyler.

How many times has he run out of bounds two yards behind the LOS? Happened a ton in year 1, not so much last year, but I've seen it a couple times this year. Why not just toss it out of bounds at the last second?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree. Very good post. It’s no secret that I’m a huge K1 supporter. He’s been pretty much everything that I expected after I watched his every move at OU. My fear is that this team cannot win unless Murray is great. There’s no margin for error. Our OL is significantly overrated by too many on this board. Murray is running for his life way too much. It could be very well why he has occasional brain farts. Exhaustion affects you mentally just as much as it does physically. He may be able to overcome the burden of carrying this team at 24. But, will he be able to do it at 27 and beyond? This team needs to continue to rebuild this OL. DJ is a fine LT, but he’s not ever going to be great. Hudson is very good, but long in the tooth. Beachum is below average. The rest of that line is meh. We absolutely need to draft OL the next couple years.
While I agree that we need to continue and invest in the OL, Kyler had a clean pocket plenty on Sunday and would not sit in it and make his reads. Couple that with him not climbing the pocket after his pass drops land him 12 yards from the LOS and he is kinda creating his own issues. Almost every OT in the NFL is going to have a tough time when a QB finishes his drop 12 yards behind the LOS. It creates terrible angles and opens the OT up to inside moves because he has to move his feet so fast to cut off the angle. As a QB, you have to do the little things to help your guys out because they are going against the freakiest athletes on the field.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Y'all just been given a shiny new Ferrari and are walking around it looking for scratches rather than jumping for joy.

We scored 34 points and none of those points were gimmes. There were no short fields or defensive scores. No turnovers to capitalize on. Those were 34 hard earned points that Kyler made for us. I remember when fans here would give their left nut for a 34 point game.

There were definitely some things in the game he could have done better. But you can say that about all QB's. Mahomes had a dumb INT yesterday throwing the ball mid sack. He had another grounding pen that pinned them back on a similar play. I doubt very much that he Chiefs fans are picking him apart on their forums right now and they lost. We won!

I'm no Kyler homer. I've wrote extensive film study threads on here about games where he has been poor. This wasn't one of them.

This was a game where he was 95% great and 5% bad and I don't understand why people are so focused on the 5%. Much more so in fact that games in the past where he has been 100% mediocre.
I agree with this mostly, but he should not under any circumstances be allowed to forget that run out of bounds 3 yards short. It looked like he gave up on the play. I saw it on my own sideline yesterday. It was absolutely porridge-brained. I know its nitpicky, but its so basic it shouldn't even be something we are talking about because it should never happen.

Outside of that and the Palmeresque interception over the middle, Kyler was incredible yesterday.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this mostly, but he should not under any circumstances be allowed to forget that run out of bounds 3 yards short. It looked like he gave up on the play. I saw it on my own sideline yesterday. It was absolutely porridge-brained. I know its nitpicky, but its so basic it shouldn't even be something we are talking about because it should never happen.

Outside of that and the Palmeresque interception over the middle, Kyler was incredible yesterday.
Let’s not forget not running out of bounds when we needed to run clock. Totally boneheaded.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s not forget not running out of bounds when we needed to run clock. Totally boneheaded.
It seems like Kyler does this at least once a game. I don't know how many times last year he would run out of bounds and take a 4 yard loss instead of just throwing it away.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It seems like Kyler does this at least once a game. I don't know how many times last year he would run out of bounds and take a 4 yard loss instead of just throwing it away.

He did it in game 1 this year as well. I believe he threw it away 1 or 2 times yesterday in a similar situation - maybe their is hope for that one.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it a fear? It’s the truth. Kyler must play very good to great for us to win. At least that’s the way it is with this roster.
That could be said about a lot of QB’s depending on their opponent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. The TD to Rondale that was all Kyler he had to reverse spin to avoid a free runner and made a great play. On the TD to Hop that was actually good blocking, for some odd reason Kyler started to flush right realized he didn't have it spun back left and then found Hop. But the pocket was actually quite clean on that play.

I think Hudson has made a big difference. So far Hump seems not as good this year as last year. I didn't really notice Pugh which normally means he played ok. Said in another post I thought Jones played fairly well. Beachum struggled at times. On at least one of those sacks by Hunter I thought Kyler just held it too long but he also saves sacks with his feet.

I think he's a terrific player warts and all and the good thing is he's improved every year and most of the warts , other than height, are coachable things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA