Changes for Next Season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see him opting in and signing a smaller two year extension beyond 22’ to keep the salary down for other players getting raises.

I've been doing some reading and I think you are right that Paul can opt-in on his player option and qualify for an extension.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and I think you are right that Paul can opt-in on his player option and qualify for an extension.
Yes, but I read that such an extension can only be a maximum of 2 years under the Over-38 Rule, while if Paul opts out it could be up to 4 years (or 3 years from another team).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stop it. You know that's silly. There are lots of ways to make things work in the nba. The nets have 4 max players.

And Bird rights and sign-and-trade deals almost certainly played into that. The Suns currently only have 2 contracts with annual cap numbers higher than the MLE - Booker and Paul. Crowder and Saric are basically at the MLE. Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Stix are on rookie deals, and Ayton and Bridges would not have higher salaries kick in on a sign-and-trade until the 2022 offseason (Cam Johnson in 2023 and Stix in 2024). Carter's cap number is only around $3.5 million. They could do a sign-and-trade with Cam Payne, but they cannot combine that with another salary, and Payne is not getting a max contract that matches KAT. Same goes with Nader. Craig is coming off of a one year deal. The rest (Moore, Galloway, Kaminsky) are minimum guys coming off of one year deals. Sorry, but the numbers just don't work here.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo you go hard after at KAT trade. Ayton raised his value on the playoffs, and with the right seed planted...KAT can force his way out of Minny.

To be clear, I think Ayton has way more potential as a defender...but like it or not we need a 2nd legit offensive weapon, and Ayton may never get there. KAT gives us a 1a option for Booker, and I think if we just target rebounding and defense we can find an acceptable Center. I do not want to give Ayton a max deal. He doesn't have the mindset to be our go to guy...which we need. Paul, Booker, Bridges, KAT, Noel....with Cam, Carter, Crowder, Stix, as the bench

and what on earth has KAT ever shown that makes you think he’s that dude. Keep in mind last time he was in the playoffs he was bad and I mean really bad

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I read that such an extension can only be a maximum of 2 years under the Over-38 Rule, while if Paul opts out it could be up to 4 years (or 3 years from another team).

Also as I understand it, opting out might be a better option for the Suns because they can spread out his salary over multiple years.

For example Paul might only be paid something like $35 million per season over three seasons giving the Suns money to spend now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns choose they can apply for a disabled player exception for Dario Saric which would give them a little over $4 million to pay a player on a 1-year contract. The Suns may have done it before but I can't remember when without looking it up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns choose they can apply for a disabled player exception for Dario Saric which would give them a little over $4 million to pay a player on a 1-year contract. The Suns may have done it before but I can't remember when without looking it up.

they only get 4 million there? Damn. Thought it would be more. But they should definitely do this. Dario blew out that knee in July. No way he’s good to do much of anything next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they only get 4 million there? Damn. Thought it would be more. But they should definitely do this. Dario blew out that knee in July. No way he’s good to do much of anything next season.

It seems like the Suns had the opportunity in the not too distant past to apply for Disabled Player Exception but didn't. I hope they do it this time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’re going to be fine without Paul. We aren’t going to fall of a cliff all of a sudden.

honestly I’d rather go into next season paying a guy like Lonzo Ball on a good contract than paying Paul a Kings ransom for the next 3 years. I think Lonzo fits really well with this team he offers size and defense, his shooting had gotten much better, he plays with pace and his passing is A level. I think he’s gone from being wildly overrated to highly underrated. They set him up for failure he was never going to be the next Magic for the Lakers.

No Paul is not taking less money or giving us a discount he’s not opting out to take less nobody has ever done that. Our window goes as Booker goes

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We’re going to be fine without Paul. We aren’t going to fall of a cliff all of a sudden.

honestly I’d rather go into next season paying a guy like Lonzo Ball on a good contract than paying Paul a Kings ransom for the next 3 years. I think Lonzo fits really well with this team he offers size and defense, his shooting had gotten much better, he plays with pace and his passing is A level. I think he’s gone from being wildly overrated to highly underrated. They set him up for failure he was never going to be the in next Magic for the Lakers.

No Paul is not taking less money or giving us a discount he’s not opting out to take less nobody has ever done that. Our window goes as Booker goes
Yeah that team is a 40-48 win team that ends in play in or doesn’t make it out of the first round. No way Ayton progresses with lonzo as his leader. Book isn’t ready to take that role from Paul. Lonzo maybe underrated now but he won’t come close to approximating Paul’s impact on this team on the court or in their minds. You overestimate the readiness of the rest of this team. If Ayton develops offensively and Bridges and cam Johnson develop they’d be ready for a lonzo level guy maybe three years from now to continue to be a contender. But not next year or the year after and the swap of Paul for lonzo likely stunts the young guys growth, maybe to the point of them never reaching their potential.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

honestly I’d rather go into next season paying a guy like Lonzo Ball on a good contract than paying Paul a Kings ransom for the next 3 years. I think Lonzo fits really well with this team he offers size and defense, his shooting had gotten much better, he plays with pace and his passing is A level. I think he’s gone from being wildly overrated to highly underrated. They set him up for failure he was never going to be the next Magic for the Lakers.

and obviously you have a lot more money to add to the roster.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and what on earth has KAT ever shown that makes you think he’s that dude. Keep in mind last time he was in the playoffs he was bad and I mean really bad
He can score, and doesn't have to be spoon fed to be impactful. He's a 25/10/5 guy that is also a 40% shooter from 3.

Right now we have Booker that can create his own shot, but he showed in the playoffs how easy he is to rattle. Put a strong defender on him and he forces things and makes bad decisions....IMO because he doesn't have confidence in anyone else to score.

As much as I appreciate what CP3 did this year, I think it would be a big mistake to count on him as our 2nd best offensive weapon for the next few years. If/when he gets injured, it's back to Book taking 35 shots a game and scoring a bunch of points in blowout losses.

Bridges has potential to grow on offense, but his game is not as a ball handler/shot creator. Ayton has a good stroke, but isn't strong enough or tough enough to bang in the paint and put guys in foul trouble. As much as I think the officiating in the NBA is a joke, we just saw how much a guy that can get the ball down low and draw fouls can impact a game.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can score, and doesn't have to be spoon fed to be impactful. He's a 25/10/5 guy that is also a 40% shooter from 3.

Right now we have Booker that can create his own shot, but he showed in the playoffs how easy he is to rattle. Put a strong defender on him and he forces things and makes bad decisions....IMO because he doesn't have confidence in anyone else to score.

As much as I appreciate what CP3 did this year, I think it would be a big mistake to count on him as our 2nd best offensive weapon for the next few years. If/when he gets injured, it's back to Book taking 35 shots a game and scoring a bunch of points in blowout losses.

Bridges has potential to grow on offense, but his game is not as a ball handler/shot creator. Ayton has a good stroke, but isn't strong enough or tough enough to bang in the paint and put guys in foul trouble. As much as I think the officiating in the NBA is a joke, we just saw how much a guy that can get the ball down low and draw fouls can impact a game.

please go watch KAT the last time he was in the playoffs no I’m serious.it was flat out pathetic he wanted no part of it at all. We are building a culture of defense and hard nose basketball KAT is the exact opposite

yes he can score but like I said go watch him against the Rockets just YouTube KAT playoffs. Wanted no part of it at all

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lonzo Ball is intriguing but I suspect he will be in demand. Really don't want to get in a bidding war over him as he is a RFA. Also don't want to strike out and be without a starting point guard.

I do think the Suns plan to keep Chris Paul.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonzo Ball sucks and I don't get why some Suns fans are obsessed with adding him. He's never led his team to the playoffs. He's never done much of anything outside of throw some pretty passes that get him featured on SportsCenter. Every offseason and every trade deadline the same people pine over adding Lonzo like he'll somehow take us to the promised land.

On top of being a bad decision, word has it he's headed to Charlotte to play with his brother, who just changed his jersey number so Lonzo can join him and take #2. Maybe once those 2 join up and con the Hornets into signing LeTito to a Two Way deal, some Suns fans will finally quit thinking he's a realistic target.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonzo Ball sucks and I don't get why some Suns fans are obsessed with adding him. He's never led his team to the playoffs. He's never done much of anything outside of throw some pretty passes that get him featured on SportsCenter. Every offseason and every trade deadline the same people pine over adding Lonzo like he'll somehow take us to the promised land.

On top of being a bad decision, word has it he's headed to Charlotte to play with his brother, who just changed his jersey number so Lonzo can join him and take #2. Maybe once those 2 join up and con the Hornets into signing LeTito to a Two Way deal, some Suns fans will finally quit thinking he's a realistic target.

thank God the Suns aren’t this stupid. Lonzo Ball replaces Chris Paul and people here think there wouldn’t be a HUGE drop off? Why? Because we barely beat a Kawhi-less Clippers team twice?

Wow. That is just... wow.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thank God the Suns aren’t this stupid. Lonzo Ball replaces Chris Paul and people here think there wouldn’t be a HUGE drop off? Wow. That is just... wow.

it obviously wouldn’t be a 1-1 deal. Signing Lonzo gives you a lot of money to fill out the roster

be realistic we are signing Ayton to the Max don’t matter if you think we should or not it’s going to happen, we also need to decide what to do with Bridges.

and guys want to tie up 100 million+ for a PG who will be 39 when that deal expires. A PG who just had his lunch money taken by Jrue Holiday. All time great hall of famers don’t struggle with guys like Holiday. Matter fact he was even guarding Tucker at the end of the finals because he’s a defensive liability at this stage in his career.

this isn’t a video game where there is just an unlimited supply of money. If you pay Ayton and give Paul his money who you gonna go get that’s worth anything?

and get it out of your head He’s taking less money cause he’s not. Nobody has ever opted out and said you know what I’ll take less.

I like Paul as much as anybody and am grateful for what he brought but even the Lakers chose youth(kobe) over paying the old guy(Shaq).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

actually he doesn’t suck

and where are you hearing he’s going to the hornets to play with his brother since they both play the same position?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually he doesn’t suck

and where are you hearing he’s going to the hornets to play with his brother since they both play the same position?

Read up on Lamelo changing his jersey number. He did that so Lonzo can have #2. He said it himself. Quick Google search.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
it obviously wouldn’t be a 1-1 deal. Signing Lonzo gives you a lot of money to fill out the roster

be realistic we are signing Ayton to the Max don’t matter if you think we should or not it’s going to happen, we also need to decide what to do with Bridges.

and guys want to tie up 100 million+ for a PG who will be 39 when that deal expires. A PG who just had his lunch money taken by Jrue Holiday. All time great hall of famers don’t struggle with guys like Holiday. Matter fact he was even guarding Tucker at the end of the finals because he’s a defensive liability at this stage in his career.

this isn’t a video game where there is just an unlimited supply of money. If you pay Ayton and give Paul his money who you gonna go get that’s worth anything?

and get it out of your head He’s taking less money cause he’s not. Nobody has ever opted out and said you know what I’ll take less.

I like Paul as much as anybody and am grateful for what he brought but even the Lakers chose youth(kobe) over paying the old guy(Shaq).
Obviously you don’t like Paul as much as anybody.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read up on Lamelo changing his jersey number. He did that so Lonzo can have #2. He said it himself. Quick Google search.

a quick google search tells me he wanted #1 because he’s worn it his entire basketball career in high school and his other pro leagues and even has it tattooed on him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Attachments

• E71619DC-2E70-4769-B40A-84DC20E92DA4.jpeg
    E71619DC-2E70-4769-B40A-84DC20E92DA4.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 3