PFT on Kliff

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah he had Mahomes...and Mahomes had a top 5 scoring offense.
Which isn't surprising. We'd probably have a top 5 scoring offense with him too. Many NFL teams would.

Well, if he got Mahomes, then he is one of the few that recognized his talent above the bigger schools who would have then recruited him and then you have to give him credit for developing him, but you can only score so many freaking points which they did but the powerhouse legacy of defense at Texas Tech pretty much starts and ends with a undersized LB named Zach Thomas. That is not an excuse but a reason, a freaking valid reason which is a giant monkey wrench for those wanting to use his college tenure of wins and loses as some kind of barometer for his ability
I'm giving you and anyone else the benefit of the doubt here. Why could Kliff recruit great offensive talent at Texas Tech, but couldn't do the same with the defense?

I've never argued that Kliff isn't decently offensive minded, and to be even more fair, the Air Raid is perfectly suited for college. But we have plenty of evidence to show he didn't like recruiting in the first place, and he even got rid of Baker Mayfield more or less.

Why the constant pass here? I just don't understand.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think BA is one of those coaches with a short shelf life coaching a team. Let's not pretend like he was exceptional his whole time here.
KK has a short shelf life coaching teams..... because he never wins.

Arians worst record here was 7-8-1(with street free agent QB's running the show). So he was basically a .500 coach or better every year in Arizona. Kliff has had, I think, 1 winning season his entire coaching career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which isn't surprising. We'd probably have a top 5 scoring offense with him too. Many NFL teams would.

I'm giving you and anyone else the benefit of the doubt here. Why could Kliff recruit great offensive talent at Texas Tech, but couldn't do the same with the defense?

I've never argued that Kliff isn't decently offensive minded, and to be even more fair, the Air Raid is perfectly suited for college. But we have plenty of evidence to show he didn't like recruiting in the first place, and he even got rid of Baker Mayfield more or less.

Why the constant pass here? I just don't understand.
Right and he had a top five scoring offense with scrub QBs too, so that argument that it was based on Mahomes isnt based in reality.

Mahomes got dinged because every QB put up huge numbers with Kingsbury, but I guess its convenient to your argument to leave that part out.

There ISNT a constant pass for Kingsbury. It's just that quite a few of us are able to see that in college recruiting is a bigger part of success than actual coaching. So it's fundamentally a different job description and it's a weak sauce argument to just use his record against when the reason he was hired is because he has a great offensive mind.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right and he had a top five scoring offense with scrub QBs too, so that argument that it was based on Mahomes isnt based in reality.

Mahomes got dinged because every QB put up huge numbers with Kingsbury, but I guess its convenient to your argument to leave that part out.

There ISNT a constant pass for Kingsbury. It's just that quite a few of us are able to see that in college recruiting is a bigger part of success than actual coaching. So it's fundamentally a different job description and it's a weak sauce argument to just use his record against when the reason he was hired is because he has a great offensive mind.
And some of us can see a guy who has never shown a consistent record of success.

Reaction score

They mentioned in the latest Flight Plan that they knew there was going to be a learning curve with KK being new to the NFL. The front office knew he wasn't going to be terrific right out of the gate. He's shown improvement in each season. I think they'll give him a little more slack than some on here think.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They mentioned in the latest Flight Plan that they knew there was going to be a learning curve with KK being new to the NFL. The front office knew he wasn't going to be terrific right out of the gate. He's shown improvement in each season. I think they'll give him a little more slack than some on here think.

Thus proving that we're an absolute joke of an organization. KNOWINGLY hiring a coach in a "win now" style of league that you know isn't going to be good for a while, and then (your supposition here is that another less than successful season won't be enough to can him) giving him way too much time to develop in the HOPES he'll eventually be successful, is just laughable.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thus proving that we're an absolute joke of an organization. KNOWINGLY hiring a coach in a "win now" style of league that you know isn't going to be good for a while, and then (your supposition here is that another less than successful season won't be enough to can him) giving him way too much time to develop in the HOPES he'll eventually be successful, is just laughable.

After a historically bad season, Bidwill-Keim, decided to invest in the combination of young coach and QB in the hope that they'd successfully grow together. This is the season when we should EXPECT tangible returns. If they fail, then it's laughable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After a historically bad season, Bidwill-Keim, decided to invest in the combination of young coach and QB in the hope that they'd successfully grow together. This is the season when we should EXPECT tangible returns. If they fail, then it's laughable.

Can you name any other organisation in recent that's hired a head coach and said "we don't expect him to win he's still learning"?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

And whose job is it to recruit....the head coach's job. He hated having to spend time recruiting so he always had crappy defenses. His entire focus apparently more or less was on the offense so the defense went by the wayside. Recruiting was part of his responsibility as the head coach. Texas Tech was mediocre because Kliff was a crappy recruiter from a whole team standpoint. Maybe Kliff didn't like having to spend so much of his off season running around recruiting yet recruiting was probably his biggest responsibility at TT and he failed at it. You said it yourself, recruiting is a bigger part of success in college. What guys like Solar and I are saying is we see the same guy everyone saw at TT. A guy who spends vast amounts of time focused on certain aspects of the team, when his job description as a NFL head coach is to look after and over and be involved with the entire team, not just one aspect of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you name any other organisation in recent that's hired a head coach and said "we don't expect him to win he's still learning"?

yeah... the idea of being a team going out and hiring a coach who needs training wheels for a couple years doesn’t sound like a real smart organization to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And whose job is it to recruit....the head coach's job. He hated having to spend time recruiting so he always had crappy defenses. His entire focus apparently more or less was on the offense so the defense went by the wayside. Recruiting was part of his responsibility as the head coach. Texas Tech was mediocre because Kliff was a crappy recruiter from a whole team standpoint. Maybe Kliff didn't like having to spend so much of his off season running around recruiting yet recruiting was probably his biggest responsibility at TT and he failed at it. You said it yourself, recruiting is a bigger part of success in college. What guys like Solar and I are saying is we see the same guy everyone saw at TT. A guy who spends vast amounts of time focused on certain aspects of the team, when his job description as a NFL head coach is to look after and over and be involved with the entire team, not just one aspect of it.

no matter how many times you clearly lay out this rational opinion, some people will never internalize it because to do so would require them admitting they were wrong.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Always thought KK will get at least 3 years minimum as the HC. Only thing that would have made this a 1-2 mistake would be a repeat of the Wilkes era. This is the year KK needs to make the playoffs or he will be on the hot seat right next to Keim.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
no matter how many times you clearly lay out this rational opinion, some people will never internalize it because to do so would require them admitting they were wrong.
LOL or maybe you guys are being obtuse on this topic.

Kliffs record sucked because he wasnt a good recruiter, a task that isn't relevant in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You see what you want to see. I see a team that made progress from year one to year two. And a coach that did as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
LOL or maybe you guys are being obtuse on this topic.

Kliffs record sucked because he wasnt a good recruiter, a task that isn't relevant in the NFL.
Not directly relevant. But failure at attention to a major detail necessary for success certainly should be relevant. Say, like failure at situational football. Or failure at limiting penalties.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not directly relevant. But failure at attention to a major detail necessary for success certainly should be relevant. Say, like failure at situational football. Or failure at limiting penalties.
Recruiting isn't just about the coach though. We've seen numerous successful coaches at one stop struggle at the next because of being in a place like Lubbock.

It's just not relevant to NFL football and even someone with dementia should be able to understand that was the primary reason Kliff didn't win there. And yet the negative Nancys keep parroting this narrative that it was something more than that.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let me help you out here, shall I? Let's say Kliff had more interest in recruiting and let's say that we are able to affirm that he also had great recruiting skills just for shrills and giggles in a censored Austin Power's kind of way. Guess what? He still would be scraping the bottle of the barrel recruiting because he represents freaking Texas Tech. You really really really think any kid in Texas or anywhere for that matter is going to choose Texas Tech over say Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama or even Colorado St. for example if they are a high recruit. Kliff had ultimately bad recruits because of the program he coached did not have the legacy or prestige to garner better talent. I also doubt but could be wrong that you and Solar possibly never even watched a full Texas Tech game (just like most recruits) to say you see the same guy because you are only looking at stats

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Let me help you out here, shall I? Let's say Kliff had more interest in recruiting and let's say that we are able to affirm that he also had great recruiting skills just for shrills and giggles in a censored Austin Power's kind of way. Guess what? He still would be scraping the bottle of the barrel recruiting because he represents freaking Texas Tech. You really really really think any kid in Texas or anywhere for that matter is going to choose Texas Tech over say Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama or even Colorado St. for example if they are a high recruit. Kliff had ultimately bad recruits because of the program he coached did not have the legacy or prestige to garner better talent. I also doubt but could be wrong that you and Solar possibly never even watched a full Texas Tech game (just like most recruits) to say you see the same guy because you are only looking at stats
A coach is supposed to coach. The simple fact is other guys at TT had the same issues but managed to coach up their team and field better defenses.
But all the means jack squat... kingsbury got hired because mcvay and a couple other coaches used to call him for ideas and because Steve Keim liked him. No other reason.

Still means jack... because it’s college.

fast forward to the nfl....
Two years in and that fluffy lookin ***** waste still suxx *** as an nfl head coach. His teams lack discipline and display zero pre snap creativity to confuse the defense..... and after being aggressive through an entire game when it’s finally on the line the dudes ***** shrivel up and fall off
He sucks! He isn’t even ready to be an nfl OC at this point.... his offense only produces numbers due to superior talent.

dude needs to grow a lot and do it fast.... we are wasting a rookie contract on his dumb ***

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You re correct sir, I am beating a dead horse here and will no longer spend time on it.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

No and I don't think this is the case to be made here. Beyond hiring KK and new staff; and drafting KM there has been a significant turnover in personnel. We've had the expected incremental improvements, and, as said, this is the litmus season.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don't agree with this supposition. A win now style of league? Confusing. Owners can run their organizations any way they want. Making this kind of apples to oranges comparison and then using it to cal us a joke is silly. The Cards havent been known historically to make the right decisions, but in the MB ear that have shown a remarkable ability to modernize, catch up, and become a football destination for players. Not always, but theres no denying the growth that has happened since MB took over. That in mind, I can completely see the validity in taking a long term approach to rebuilding a team that needed it. Taking a promising young coach (hindsight allows us to debate this a bit, but making this argument from a when he was hired frame of mind), and pairing him with a promising young franchise QB makes PERFECT sense to me. Theres a TON of work to do, and the jury is well out as to whether or not this will eventually bear fruit, but to call the methodology a joke, based on the comparison of a "win now style" of league is faulty at best.

Who cares? I think what you mean to say is what organization has hired a coach and agreed to build a team with them, giving them room fro growth, thereby supplying a level of continuity crucial to long term success, and not just pulling the rug out from under him, especially when the team has shown viable improvement both years he has been with the team. TO that, I would say NOT ENOUGH.

yeah... the idea of being a team going out and hiring a coach who needs training wheels for a couple years doesn’t sound like a real smart organization to me.

Everyone has acknowledged the high risk high reward nature of this approach as it was happening. Have the rewards been high? Nope, but has it crashed and burned? definitely not. I think Stout's point above becomes more salient when we say that NFL fans are a "win now style" of fan. But the reality is, organizations may very well see a benefit in allowing inexperience to rear its head and cause the time frame for payoff to increase. That's their call to make. We get to critique it all we want, sure. But we only get the benefit of hindsight to do it. Teams have to roll the dice WAY harder when making and then critiquing their own decisions.

I can get behind the idea that BOTH Keim's and KK's seats are warming. This is the year where if there are injury setbacks, you need to REALLY assess whether or not Keim is the guy to continue to lead the organization (because we all know his drafts have been sub par leading to a FA style of building that most here agree is problematic in the long term), or if the team as a whole doesnt start to improve on its penalties, or the game time decision making doesnt show improvement, or the top down management of the ENTIRE team, not just the offense doesnt grow, then you need to really look at if KK can ever get there. But really, I don't have a problem with the aggressive move made by Keim a couple years back in the hiring of KK and drafting of Murray, and I dont subscribe to the idea that everyone needs to have a WIN NOW mentality. Its great for us as fans if our team does, but ultimately, its the organziations decision to choose their modus operandi.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Most fans are win now; the NFL is a win now league. Modern free agency and tiering the pay scale for draft picks very much made it so. Teams just don't have the leeway to grow in tiny increments over many seasons because they would constantly be bailing out water on a sinking ship; you build one area of the team but FA drains another. It's very much the nature of the NFL biz.

And it isn't hindsight with KK. A lot of folks didn't like this hire from day one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most fans are win now; the NFL is a win now league. Modern free agency and tiering the pay scale for draft picks very much made it so. Teams just don't have the leeway to grow in tiny increments over many seasons because they would constantly be bailing out water on a sinking ship; you build one area of the team but FA drains another. It's very much the nature of the NFL biz.

And it isn't hindsight with KK. A lot of folks didn't like this hire from day one.

A lot of folks on here wanted MIKE MCCARTHY!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson