Deandre Ayton discussion

Reaction score
I have been making this argument all season long. I kept posting his numbers that proved where he ranked but everybody kept focusing on his negatives. THEY WERE LEGIT criticism for sure. Especially, on the mental side of things. His numbers could have been more consistent but he was showing it. I have had Ayton as one of the best all season long and his performance in the playoffs only proves it further.

The one aspect of his game that needs some major work is outside the rim. If he could develop that little jumper more consistently? He would be unstoppable.
Possibly. Moses Malone made a living without a jump shot, and Ayton is a much better foul shooter than ANY big man since Alvan Adams.

And remember, any points Ayton gets come from someone else.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton is the first player in the shot-clock era (since 1954-55 season) with a 70+ FG pct in any 12-game postseason span (min. 100 att).

Ayton at 22...NO MATTER WHAT...has put up one of the best stretches of games for a big man in NBA playoff history. Let that soak in.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I was entirely disappointed with Ayton until the 2nd half of this year. I've been impressed with how much he's grown mentally and physically. He's actually starting to use his lower half a lot more on plays. Maybe he's maturing into a superstar now. I'm on board the Ayton train and feel proud to eat crow!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s attacking the rim with a vengeance. I’m so freaking impressed with his effort - forget about his performance (which has been phenomenal) - but his effort has been incredible!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s attacking the rim with a vengeance. I’m so freaking impressed with his effort - forget about his performance (which has been phenomenal) - but his effort has been incredible!

that sequence where he blocks Reggie Jackson, falls out of bounds, then sprints back on offense, throws a guy out of the way, grabs a big time offensive rebound and taps to Bridges in the same motion was sick.

The pilot light has been fully lit and he’s is playing with FIRE.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was entirely disappointed with Ayton until the 2nd half of this year. I've been impressed with how much he's grown mentally and physically. He's actually starting to use his lower half a lot more on plays. Maybe he's maturing into a superstar now. I'm on board the Ayton train and feel proud to eat crow!
Right after he had his kid… hmmmm

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I've been nervously optimistic about Ayton from the moment we got the #1 pick. I knew that damn near any team that got the top pick was going to take him once they brought him in for a workout. He is an absolute freak athlete with great production in his 1 year of college. The worry has always been if he will ever play consistently with the explosiveness he possesses, and now he is doing that.

The Ringer did a video on him awhile ago and they mentioned his progression, especially on defense isn't something that developed year over year but instead is something you can track month to month or week to week.

He came in as a high usage offensive big with terrible defense, and now he's a defensive anchor with low volume of touches and mega efficient offense. I always felt the ceiling of this current core would be however good Ayton decided to be. I'm loving this run but I'm also excited to see what the future holds for him. I feel like after stripping down his game to the basics(and him beginning to master it) the staff will start expanding his offensive role next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top 4 picks in 2018 draft - Ayton, Bagley, Young, Doncic...

Granted, they didn't have a chance at Ayton, but that has to be a huge ouch for Sacramento fans.

1 - Ayton
2 - Bagley
3 - Luka (traded for #5 with other future picks)
4 - Jaren Jackson Jr
5 - Trae Young (traded for #3)

I think Memphis has to be kicking themselves some. I know they got Morant the next year but imagine a Morant & Young backcourt. JJJ has been hurt more often than not since that draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top 4 picks in 2018 draft - Ayton, Bagley, Young, Doncic...

Granted, they didn't have a chance at Ayton, but that has to be a huge ouch for Sacramento fans.

that 2018 draft is starting to look like the 1984 draft.

Ayton, Doncic, Trae, JJJ, SGA, Mikhail Bridges, Michael Porter Jr, Colin Sexton, Miles Bridges

That’s three possible HOF level players, Two likely All-Star level players, another couple of VERY GOOD players and outside of this list a bunch of good role players.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
1 - Ayton
2 - Bagley
4 - Jaren Jackson Jr

I think Memphis has to be kicking themselves some. I know they got Morant the next year but imagine a Morant & Young backcourt. JJJ has been hurt more often than not since that draft.

Hmm, I thought for sure Young was picked before Jackson.

Oh well, two teams kicking themselves, I guess.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
1 - Ayton
2 - Bagley
4 - Jaren Jackson Jr

JJJ is a position-less, oft-injured big who cant rebound. He’s about as gimmicky of a player as I’ve seen.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought for sure Young was picked before Jackson.

Oh well, two teams kicking themselves, I guess.

I don't feel bad for Grizz fans, they still think JJJ is better than Ayton so they must be happy with it. That Kings pick is just brutal, and all because Divac didn't like Luka's dad.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Speaking of Ayton, where's TJ. I haven't seen him around in more than a month.

Thanks for looking out. Been a really rough 6-8 weeks for the family and have had to allocate my time taking care of some personal crises just to stay afloat. Have missed more than half of the playoff games on TV, including Game 1 of this series.