Shadow and Bone (Netflix)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Surprised no one has posted about this on Netflix. Pretty entertaining thus far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it get better? First episode was okay but I need others to tell me it’s worth watching further.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s a slow burn. But as it’s another world I like the slow build.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the first episode. I never read the books and when I watched it, it was the first time I ever considered subtitles. I think I missed a lot of the names and jargon.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watched the first episode. I never read the books and when I watched it, it was the first time I ever considered subtitles. I think I missed a lot of the names and jargon.
I never read the books either. It took some work for me to fully understand what everything was and who’s who. But I grasped it, it all became much easier to watch.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Does it get better? First episode was okay but I need others to tell me it’s worth watching further.

I'm in the same boat. Watched episode 1 last night. My kids and I were looking for a new show. It takes me a while to get interested in this type of fantasy show (except for GOT, which was awesome from the start line).

Unless my wife is watching, we use subtitles for everything except for sports. She can't not read them for some reason. I glance at them occasionally, especially when they have accents. It's helpful for learning new character's names if I can read them while I hear them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It was okay. Tried and failed to be GoT. Some compelling world building, great effects, good acting, questionable writing, especially when secondary characters are dealt with ruthlessly to show there are consequences but there aren't equal consequences for main characters because PLOT ARMOR. Mom liked it, so that's a bonus. My biggest gripe isn't really a fair one--the YA shone through IN SPADES. Which it should, because it is, after all, YA. Like, not every single main character needs a romantic sub-plot. Still, it was fun to pass the time with.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was okay. Tried and failed to be GoT. Some compelling world building, great effects, good acting, questionable writing, especially when secondary characters are dealt with ruthlessly to show there are consequences but there aren't equal consequences for main characters because PLOT ARMOR. Mom liked it, so that's a bonus. My biggest gripe isn't really a fair one--the YA shone through IN SPADES. Which it should, because it is, after all, YA. Like, not every single main character needs a romantic sub-plot. Still, it was fun to pass the time with.
What’s “YA?”

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Guess I’m YA. Other than twilight I’ve enjoyed all of that.

Don't worry, I've turned in my man-card for this: I enjoyed the Twilight books. My wife got me into them. :mulli:

And yeah, I guess I'm YA as well, lol. I even read every Hunger Games, Divergent and Percy Jackson books and enjoyed the movies as well (NOT the Twilight ones, as far as movies), along with the rest of the list cited.

The part that cloys me though is the excess need for romance and especially romantic triangles.

Stout

Reaction score
Don't worry, I've turned in my man-card for this: I enjoyed the Twilight books. My wife got me into them. :mulli:

And yeah, I guess I'm YA as well, lol. I even read every Hunger Games, Divergent and Percy Jackson books and enjoyed the movies as well (NOT the Twilight ones, as far as movies), along with the rest of the list cited.

The part that cloys me though is the excess need for romance and especially romantic triangles.

To me, from the outside (as a non-YA writer and reader), this is at the core of YA. I understand why, and, as a writer, respect the sub-genre and those who write it. It isn't really for me, overall. Which is why I added the caveat to not liking that part of Shadow and Bone.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get why there’s romance with YA, raging hormones and all, but doesn’t it really rear it’s head in virtually all entertainment? I’m unsure why it’s considered YA.

Stout

Reaction score
I get why there’s romance with YA, raging hormones and all, but doesn’t it really rear it’s head in virtually all entertainment? I’m unsure why it’s considered YA.

It does, but is especially prevalent in YA, and it usually a core theme/plot. Like, if GoT were YA, Arya would probably have a will they/won't they love interest, where she may constantly pine for Gendry, for instance.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It does, but is especially prevalent in YA, and it usually a core theme/plot. Like, if GoT were YA, Arya would probably have a will they/won't they love interest, where she may constantly pine for Gendry, for instance.
Yeah I guess the pining would be the difference right? But GoT still had romance. Look no further than a major plot line of Daenerys and whatshisface. Or as you mention Arya and gendry, or the chubby dude and the pregnant wildling.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah I guess the pining would be the difference right? But GoT still had romance. Look no further than a major plot line of Daenerys and whatshisface. Or as you mention Arya and gendry, or the chubby dude and the pregnant wildling.

When I watched Game of Thrones, I didn't get the sense that romance always drove the plot; when I watched Shadow and Bone, it was hard to think it wasn't. There's romance in any story, but damn, every single person in Shadow and Bone had something going on, and I mean every last one! I think only the mob boss was left out lol

Reaction score
When I watched Game of Thrones, I didn't get the sense that romance always drove the plot; when I watched Shadow and Bone, it was hard to think it wasn't. There's romance in any story, but damn, every single person in Shadow and Bone had something going on, and I mean every last one! I think only the mob boss was left out lol

Huh, Mal & Alina for sure & maybe Nina & the slaver or whatever he is but that's about it.

Stout

Reaction score
Huh, Mal & Alina for sure & maybe Nina & the slaver or whatever he is but that's about it.

That's all you saw? You didn't see Alina and the dark general on the brink of sex after he manipulated her using desire, amongst other things? The gunslinger bedding anything that moved? The caned gangster and the unwilling assassin? That's off the top of my head, without even remembering all the archetypes--er, characters.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There’s not a lot of human beings that don’t want to bone. Seems true to life.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

but those relationship weren’t the primary driving force of the show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA