2021 NBA Draft Prospects Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember the fuss when Larry Brown did that at Kansas, now it's just business as usual. But at least Ed Manning had the resume for it and he even coached for awhile in the pros when Larry took the Spurs job.

At the time it was because of how it was reported and the lack then of ease to verify it. They said KU hired a truck driver because his son is a can't miss star. Most of us didn't know Ed had played college and pro ball and had at least "some" coaching experience. I have no doubt they hired him to get the kid, but he did have a background that wasn't that atypical from bottom rung assistants elsewhere.

They did it again with Chalmers and both times they won a NC. His dad had been a HS coach in I think Alaska but largely because his son was the star of the team so it again looked like a class case of hire the dad. After Mario went pro, the dad resigned.

Those cases actually now convince me it's not really a bad move. KU won 2 titles with those kids, they didn't break a rule to get them, it's actually more above board than the paying for players that's rampant anyways. Given the choice between USC hiring Eric to get the sons, or Duke paying Bagleys dad to move to NC for a year, I'd say what USC did was "better".

Still not sold on Evan btw but he was much better this year than I expected, he's still got to get much stronger but the size and athleticism is pretty compelling.

I love Wiseman with the Warriors but if you compare what he's shown with the Warriors to what Mobley did at SC, it's really obvious how much better a rim protector Wiseman needs to be.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's such a wonderful thing not to really be that interested in this thread! Not to be arguing about tanking and being frustrated with every win.

Heh, I was just thinking the same thing opening up this thread. It is so nice to not give a crap about the draft, lottery, tanking, etc.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heh, I was just thinking the same thing opening up this thread. It is so nice to not give a crap about the draft, lottery, tanking, etc.
\
I havent checked this thread until today. I usually dont follow the draft, especially when we are not drafting high, i really followed when we were a #1 lock and also when we fell from the supposed #1 to the #6 in 2019.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And they replaced him with former AAU teammate Chet Holmgren who could be the first overall pick in the next draft.

Suggs was the highest rated recruit Gonzaga ever signed, now Holmgren has that designation

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And they replaced him with former AAU teammate Chet Holmgren who could be the first overall pick in the next draft.

Suggs was the highest rated recruit Gonzaga ever signed, now Holmgren has that designation

I won’t be surprised if Chet gets overwhelmed at the next level. Granted it’s an easier conference but he just looks slow and weak, albeit very skilled and long.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I won’t be surprised if Chet gets overwhelmed at the next level. Granted it’s an easier conference but he just looks slow and weak, albeit very skilled and long.

He has Shawn Bradley written all over him. Not a total stiff, and fairly skilled for his size, but he will never put on enough bulk to keep up with the fully developed athletes he will eventually be going up against.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought that about mobley and it didn't happen. Chet is a much more skilled player, better shooter, passer and ballhandler but not as athletic as Mobley and about 20 to 25 pounds lighter.

He's ridiculously good at blocking shots though. If you've ever played pickup where there's a guy on the other team who just has insane timing and jumps at just the right time to block shots, that's Holmgren. The problem is he's 7 feet with long arms so that ridiculous timing added to that he's unreal. THere's video of Peyton Watson dunking over him in some 3 on 3 event and when they ask Watson about it he says yeah but he blocked my shot multiple times too. The reason everyone is going nuts is because I finally got one over him.

he's the only kid in HS who's gone head to head with Emoni Bates and got the best of him multiple times. Scouts still prefer Bates due to upside but many think Holmgren is a better player right now.

It appears he intends to play in college for 1 year too doesn't seem interested in the G League Ignite.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought that about mobley and it didn't happen. Chet is a much more skilled player, better shooter, passer and ballhandler but not as athletic as Mobley and about 20 to 25 pounds lighter.

He's ridiculously good at blocking shots though. If you've ever played pickup where there's a guy on the other team who just has insane timing and jumps at just the right time to block shots, that's Holmgren. The problem is he's 7 feet with long arms so that ridiculous timing added to that he's unreal. THere's video of Peyton Watson dunking over him in some 3 on 3 event and when they ask Watson about it he says yeah but he blocked my shot multiple times too. The reason everyone is going nuts is because I finally got one over him.

he's the only kid in HS who's gone head to head with Emoni Bates and got the best of him multiple times. Scouts still prefer Bates due to upside but many think Holmgren is a better player right now.

It appears he intends to play in college for 1 year too doesn't seem interested in the G League Ignite.

I’m not feeling a slower and weaker Mobley being a sure thing unless he’s a lights out shooter. I like Banchero more than Chet.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It IS nice to not be thinking about draft position right now. And this might be silly, but it seems like the projected late first seems to be the current regime’s sweet spot anyway. Maybe we won’t even have to debate about reaching this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It IS nice to not be thinking about draft position right now. And this might be silly, but it seems like the projected late first seems to be the current regime’s sweet spot anyway. Maybe we won’t even have to debate about reaching this year.
How do you come to this conclusion? The latest pick this regime has made is Jerome.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How do you come to this conclusion? The latest pick this regime has made is Jerome.

I was being tongue-in-cheek about them making mid-round picks for players projected to go later. They like who they like, and maybe this year they might get the same player at the end of the first that they would have taken in the early teens. But they’ll get a better grade on draft night.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was being tongue-in-cheek about them making mid-round picks for players projected to go later. They like who they like, and maybe this year they might get the same player at the end of the first that they would have taken in the early teens. But they’ll get a better grade on draft night.
Ah. Got it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It is curious to consider who they might be looking at since it seems likely it will be somewhere in the last five picks or so of the first round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Franz Wagner with plans to hire agent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does kind of such we're looking at adding such a late pick since we're also capped out. I wouldn't mind so much except if we can come even close to this level of success next season then we'll be sending OKC our 1st then also. Look at Milwaukee for an example of a top team that has no youth because they don't have picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does kind of such we're looking at adding such a late pick since we're also capped out. I wouldn't mind so much except if we can come even close to this level of success next season then we'll be sending OKC our 1st then also. Look at Milwaukee for an example of a top team that has no youth because they don't have picks.

We're out of teenagers but we still have plenty of youth. We have 9 players that are 26 or younger and only CP is over 31. We can miss a draft or two and still have enough youth to cycle through the roster. Sure it would be nice to have a chance to add another star through the draft and obviously we will need a CP replacement before long but there's still quite a bit of room for growth from our 25 and under crowd.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're out of teenagers but we still have plenty of youth. We have 9 players that are 26 or younger and only CP is over 31. We can miss a draft or two and still have enough youth to cycle through the roster. Sure it would be nice to have a chance to add another star through the draft and obviously we will need a CP replacement before long but there's still quite a bit of room for growth from our 25 and under crowd.

I would feel better if Stix looked like an NBA player and Payne were under contract beyond this season. Its not that bad but it could end up disastrous if a few things happen that I'd rather not put out in the universe. I guess I'm just not accustomed to disregarding the draft after having that be one of the primary highlights each year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would feel better if Stix looked like an NBA player and Payne were under contract beyond this season. Its not that bad but it could end up disastrous if a few things happen that I'd rather not put out in the universe. I guess I'm just not accustomed to disregarding the draft after having that be one of the primary highlights each year.
Payne has been REALLY good. He is playing with lots of confidence. He might be benefitting from CP3 more than anyone else. I am willing to consider the possibility of him being the heir to Paul—just consider. We would have to see more of course. He is probably the best pg we have had in years not named Paul or Rubio.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne has been REALLY good. He is playing with lots of confidence. He might be benefitting from CP3 more than anyone else. I am willing to consider the possibility of him being the heir to Paul—just consider. We would have to see more of course. He is probably the best pg we have had in years not named Paul or Rubio.

I think he'd equal Rubio's statistical output for the most part if he were the starter. He would probably top out around 6 assists on average but his improved shooting compared to Rubio would make up for that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm feeling a bit better now that Ty Jerome is looking like an NBA player. If Jerome can develop, so should Stix. For awhile I was wondering about how wrong I was about Jerome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose