Devin Booker's growth

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early going I worried about his defense but he's come a long way. The narrative of him not being able to defend has honestly gotten pretty over used.

I haven't heard anyone claim he can't or doesn't play defense in a long while. He was a liability in years past but not any longer. He's turned into a 2 way player this year, for sure.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Booker's greatest room for improvement is in his decision-making on the offensive end. A lot of times he opts for a bad shot, maybe because he looks forward to strutting after making it. He doesn't make the simple, high-percentage play nearly often enough.

I also wonder what's going on with his three-point shooting. 38% in his third season, and barely 34% (overall) in the three seasons since then. Imagine if his accuracy had increased by 4%, instead of decreasing by that amount!

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Booker's greatest room for improvement is in his decision-making on the offensive end. A lot of times he opts for a bad shot, maybe because he looks forward to strutting after making it. He doesn't make the simple, high-percentage play nearly often enough.

I also wonder what's going on with his three-point shooting. 38% in his third season, and barely 34% (overall) in the three seasons since then. Imagine if his accuracy had increased by 4%, instead of decreasing by that amount!

I agree, also seems like he throws to many cross court passes.

But too his credit he faces intense defenses most games, which would help explain his sliding 3%.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think this is attributable, at least in part, to the fact that neither his handles nor his first step are next level. They’re not a detriment, but defenders aren’t worried he’s just going to blow by them. This allows they to play up on him defensively. He rarely has room for good looks beyond the arc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think this is attributable, at least in part, to the fact that neither his handles nor his first step are next level. They’re not a detriment, but defenders aren’t worried he’s just going to blow by them. This allows they to play up on him defensively. He rarely has room for good looks beyond the arc.
Lately he's been routinely blowing by guys. You're right, he is no speedster, but he is so good at getting space that it's hard for a defender to keep up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately he's been routinely blowing by guys. You're right, he is no speedster, but he is so good at getting space that it's hard for a defender to keep up.

He's great at anticipating what defenders will do and that allows him to get by guys or get a little bit of space to do something.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

He takes a lot of unnecessarily difficult shots. If he's making them, like last night, then everyone is happy, but that's not a path to long-term success. There's no one in the history of the league who has averaged 30 points a game without finding a way to make it look easy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He takes a lot of unnecessarily difficult shots. If he's making them, like last night, then everyone is happy, but that's not a path to long-term success. There's no one in the history of the league who has averaged 30 points a game without finding a way to make it look easy.
And yet, he’s considered a top 5 offensive player in the NBA. He’s obviously doing something right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet, he’s considered a top 5 offensive player in the NBA. He’s obviously doing something right.

Hmmm... I don’t think he’s considered a top 5 offensive player.

Kyrie
Harden
Steph
Embiid
Jokic
LeBron
Durant
Kawhi
Giannis
Lillard
Beal
Doncic

That’s 13 guys ahead of him that come to mind immediately as superior offensive players right off the bat.

then you could argue the Tatum, Zion, KAT and Mitchell’s of the league who are prob even with him.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine he sucks. Is that want you want to hear?

Dude... switch to decaf. You made a statement. People disagree and stated their reasons why. Things don’t always have to be so black and white. Devin can be a very good offensive player while not being an elite offensive player (for purposes of discussion, top 5 I guess could define).

he is a top 5 Shooting Guard though. I think his passing is what keeps him from reaching that superstar elite level offensive player. All those guys above can get any shot they want when they want it, but are more naturally gifted passers or draw and kick on double teams better.

none of which is a criticism of Booker. More of a compliment to the elite offensive superstars of the game.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hmmm... I don’t think he’s considered anywhere near top 5 offensive player.

Kyrie
Harden
Steph
Embiid
Jokic
LeBron
Durant
Kawhi
Giannis
Lillard
Beal
Doncic

That’s 13 guys ahead of him that come to mind immediately as superior offensive players right off the bat.

then you could argue the Tatum, Zion, KAT and Mitchell’s of the league who are prob even with him.

Forgot about Embiid.. He’s scoring 29 a game on 18 shots nearly hitting 10 FT’s while shooting just under 38% from 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about Embiid.. He’s scoring 29 a game on 18 shots nearly hitting 10 FT’s while shooting just under 38% from 3.

feel like Westbrook has a pretty good argument to be at the low end of that list as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
feel like Westbrook has a pretty good argument to be at the low end of that list as well.

I'd give Booker the edge over Westbrook, for sure. Definitely as a scorer. Westbrook is good, sometimes great, but he's not efficient at all.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is he even close to a kobe light version? Minus the rings of course lol

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'd give Booker the edge over Westbrook, for sure. Definitely as a scorer. Westbrook is good, sometimes great, but he's not efficient at all.

I’ve been off the Westbrook train for a couple years now. He’s playing a different game than everyone else and pretty much un-coachable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's great at anticipating what defenders will do and that allows him to get by guys or get a little bit of space to do something.
I think that’s more accurate than blowing by guys. Again he doesn’t have the handles to put other guards in skates and his first step isn’t scary fast. What book is, in my opinion, is a sneaky athlete and incredibly crafty.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Booker is also pretty crafty at creating space for himself through body contact. He is strong enough to initiate and finish through that contact, but it comes at the risk of offensive fouls which he does seem to get often.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Devin has shown growth every year in the NBA. He seems to hone in on one thing each off season and make it into a strength: shooting efficiency, passing, defense, free throw percentage...

I mentioned this last year, but I hope Monty and Chris will be in his ear this off season about his handles. He has a lot of unforced turnovers off the dribble, dribbling off his leg, losing the ball in traffic, making silly cross court passes, and getting stripped by average defenders. I'd bet he's one of the worst in the league at ball security on one on ones.

It's an easy fix though: tell Book he sucks at ball security then walk away. Next year, watch out.