2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My day-after point of view on this is that it's ANOTHER indication that Steven Keim is playing checkers when much of the rest of the NFL is playing chess. In a vaccuum where you start when the Cards were on the clock, this is a very fine pick. Good prospect and should be fine.

But WHAT IS THE PLAN? Where is the strategy that creates short- or long-term success for this team? The lack of a real direction besides "doing whatever I can to keep my job for another year" is why we're Klowned by Keim.

How do you say in the same post that he drafted the right guy given the situation but also he sucks?

Surely on a team with needs everywhere BPA is the right move?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My day-after point of view on this is that it's ANOTHER indication that Steven Keim is playing checkers when much of the rest of the NFL is playing chess. In a vaccuum where you start when the Cards were on the clock, this is a very fine pick. Good prospect and should be fine.

But WHAT IS THE PLAN? Where is the strategy that creates short- or long-term success for this team? The lack of a real direction besides "doing whatever I can to keep my job for another year" is why we're Klowned by Keim.
Agreed. Like the pick in the moment. Don’t like the preparation. I truly believe absent one of the big sexy picks dropping to us AVT was our target (if it didn’t excite me). But I believe everyone knew it and the jets effectively jumped us. Also, if the draft played out exactly as it did - and in terms of which players would be gone before we picked I think literally every draft got it close to right, give or take actual slot, keim had good to reason to expect he’d be left holding the pot where he had to a similar player like last year with zero ability to trade down. In that instance maybe he should’ve moved prior. Granted if a player had surprisingly dropped we would all be going crazy - but everything pretty much went chalk - chalk we’ve seen for months.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Like the pick in the moment. Don’t like the preparation. I truly believe absent one of the big sexy picks dropping to us AVT was our target (if it didn’t excite me). But I believe everyone knew it and the jets effectively jumped us. Also, if the draft played out exactly as it did - and in terms of which players would be gone before we picked I think literally every draft got it close to right, give or take actual slot, keim had good to reason to expect he’d be left holding the pot where he had to a similar player like last year with zero ability to trade down. In that instance maybe he should’ve moved prior. Granted if a player had surprisingly dropped we would all be going crazy - but everything pretty much went chalk - chalk we’ve seen for months.

I'm not sure we should have been trading up for a G. The gap between AVT and guys like Humphrey, Davis and Dickenson isn't bit at all. I like all those guys in the 2nd over AVT.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Regarding the "Keim plan" there is a common denominator from him over the past two seasons. Fotu is a big/physical/athletic DE. Rashad Lawrence physical NT. Watt is a physical DE. Simmons big and athletic ILB. Budda is a physical S. Collins a big and physical ILB. Golden is a physical OLB. Even Devon Kennard is more physical than he is speed. So that is all pretty consistent if you are looking for some type of plan.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keim talked about Navorro Bowman and Patrick Willis and also Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright.

I think he's correct that having TWO 3 down backers is a pretty good asset to have. I just question whether using the 16th pick was the answer. I also think that Collins has less question marks that the other prospects available at 16...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Creed & Davis but they’re not seeing AVT at all.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Regarding the "Keim plan" there is a common denominator from him over the past two seasons. Fotu is a big/physical/athletic DE. Rashad Lawrence physical NT. Watt is a physical DE. Simmons big and athletic ILB. Budda is a physical S. Collins a big and physical ILB. Golden is a physical OLB. Even Devon Kennard is more physical than he is speed. So that is all pretty consistent if you are looking for some type of plan.

I know keim has made the moves but what it really looks like is a properly built Wade Phillips defense as far as the front 7 goes. This really has Vance’s fingerprints on it, and now he has the chance to run the defense he learned from Wade. This is a make or break year for Vance IMO. He’s got what he wanted now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know keim has made the moves but what it really looks like is a properly built Wade Phillips defense as far as the front 7 goes. This really has Vance’s fingerprints on it, and now he has the chance to run the defense he learned from Wade. This is a make or break year for Vance IMO. He’s got what he wanted now.

At least when we fire Vance we have some nice pieces to attract a good DC.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We're gonna & *#%~w kill everyone!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

How can you not root for this kid? His mindset and attitude are just what this defense and team needs. He's gonna end up being a very vocal leader and I'd be willing to bet his play on the field backs it up.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I forgot but I need to get this off my chest.

The NFL network SUCKS!

For every pick before us and every pick after they spent a bunch of the time talking about what they were going to do and what they did do.

When it got to the Cardinals pick they spent 10 minutes talking about Mac Jones and the Pats, then "Here comes the Cardinals pick. The Cardinals take Zaven Collins. Now let's go to an add break". Then when they come back it's all about the Raiders. They didn;t say jack about the Cards leading up to the pick or after the pick.
Yup every year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose