Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching some fantasy draft show on NFL Net last night and their draft ticker has us taking Waddle at 16! When they discussed him one guy said if you look at the early draft it looks like QB's, Pitts, Chase and then CB's are all going fast. Said we don't see the Cards getting the CB they might want and so they're either going to move down or take the best player on the board and at 16 that's probably going to be Waddle.

One of the experts said if you talk to people around the NFL, even at Alabama, there are people who will tell you they think Waddle is a better prospect than Smith because they're concerned about Smith's skinny frame. One guy said who cares nobody can get a hand off him coming off the LOS it won't matter. Same guy said Waddle is terrific but he was never as good as Bama expected him to be, and the other guy said well he was until he broke his ankle, 4 games 591 yards 4 TD's, 21 YPC, 5 catches over 40 yards including an 87 and 90 yarder, and remember he's one of the best punt returners in college in years and only had 2 his last year because they didn't want to risk injury to him, whoever drafts him in the NFL is almost certainly going to use him as a punt returner too.

So I do agree if the CB isn't there we're probably going to try and move down but as they all said we like Arizona already, if you put Waddle in that group with Hopkins and Green look out.

We still need a TE of course, and CB's but man a man can dream.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was watching some fantasy draft show on NFL Net last night and their draft ticker has us taking Waddle at 16! When they discussed him one guy said if you look at the early draft it looks like QB's, Pitts, Chase and then CB's are all going fast. Said we don't see the Cards getting the CB they might want and so they're either going to move down or take the best player on the board and at 16 that's probably going to be Waddle.

One of the experts said if you talk to people around the NFL, even at Alabama, there are people who will tell you they think Waddle is a better prospect than Smith because they're concerned about Smith's skinny frame. One guy said who cares nobody can get a hand off him coming off the LOS it won't matter. Same guy said Waddle is terrific but he was never as good as Bama expected him to be, and the other guy said well he was until he broke his ankle, 4 games 591 yards 4 TD's, 21 YPC, 5 catches over 40 yards including an 87 and 90 yarder, and remember he's one of the best punt returners in college in years and only had 2 his last year because they didn't want to risk injury to him, whoever drafts him in the NFL is almost certainly going to use him as a punt returner too.

So I do agree if the CB isn't there we're probably going to try and move down but as they all said we like Arizona already, if you put Waddle in that group with Hopkins and Green look out.

Waddle is probably a good fit here because he can play anywhere. Before the injury he was Mac Jones’ favorite target dating back to last year.

I believe Hop is the only WR under contract past next season along with Isabella. If Isabella wasn’t a body catcher he’d be great in the slot ala Welker.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Waddle is probably a good fit here because he can play anywhere. Before the injury he was Mac Jones’ favorite target dating back to last year.

I believe Hop is the only WR under contract past next season along with Isabella. If Isabella wasn’t a body catcher he’d be great in the slot ala Welker.

There's a lot more wrong with Bella than body catching. His ball tracking isn't good. His short space agility is crap for a small guy which means his route running is limited. His release isn't great. His sucky hands are just the cherry on top.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Caleb Farley says NFL doctors gave him good news at medical re-check
Farley had back surgery on March 23 and said NFL doctors in Indianapolis over the weekend told him they think he’ll be good to go for the start of training camp.

“I got a lot of positive feedback from the NFL doctors,” Farley said. “The NFL doctors confirmed I would be ready for the season, and they told me this is definitely not a chronic thing.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/caleb-farley-says-nfl-doctors-090115892.html

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Give me Waddle and Freiermuth!!!

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer

One tell on people that haven't really watched Justin Fields play: Calling him a "runner". I'd say if anything most people who watched him at Ohio State would tell you they probably should've run him MORE. He played the position largely from the pocket the last 2 years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm on fence with Farley.

Red flags would be why did he just have surgery when he did not play last year, how did he hurt his back? Doctors cleared him and while anyone can get hurt at any moment, how chronic are herniated discs in lower back? It would probably be more of a concern for OL & DL wrestling 300 pound men on every snap than DB's unless they are doing a lot of tackling.

Aside from that I would be okay with Farley at #16 assuming Surtain is not there. He is going to look like crap in training camp due to being out a whole year and not being able to work out because of surgery so even though he will be ready by training camp he will not be NFL game ready by start of season IMO so I wouldn't pencil him in as a Day 1 starter, maybe starting by midseason.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Red flags would be why did he just have surgery when he did not play last year, how did he hurt his back? Doctors cleared him and while anyone can get hurt at any moment, how chronic are herniated discs in lower back? It would probably be more of a concern for OL & DL wrestling 300 pound men on every snap than DB's unless they are doing a lot of tackling.

Aside from that I would be okay with Farley at #16 assuming Surtain is not there. He is going to look like crap in training camp due to being out a whole year and not being able to work out because of surgery so even though he will be ready by training camp he will not be NFL game ready by start of season IMO so I wouldn't pencil him in as a Day 1 starter, maybe starting by midseason.

Agree, that he would not be a starter on Day 1. Cards really need to check out his back surgery if they plan to sign him. I like his potential but there are risks. Playing CB takes time to develop in the NFL.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Since during the pandemic elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed, maybe he couldn't have it done ?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since during the pandemic elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed, maybe he couldn't have it done ?
I would think elective would be more like cosmetic plastic surgery but if you are in back pain then I do not see why you couldn't get that fixed. I know people that have had surgeries they just needed to take Covid test first.