Who’s your favorite non 1st rounder?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three years ago he toughed through a calf strain. And I don't count on anyone until real bullets fly.

Don't know why you're dogging me on this.

right. So three years ago he already had injury problems that destroyed a season.

and I’m not dogging you on this. You seem to think a warm body = position taken care of. You did the same by making the incredibly specious argument that the cover wasn’t bare at RB because we had a career back up and two guys who have never proven they even belong on the field rounding out the group.

it’s an argument of quantity = quality. Which it just clearly doesn’t, but has fit Keim’s thinking in certain areas over time. And over time, those areas have consistently bitten us in the ass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How do you know that Keim didn't try to trade up but was turned down? Was Keim quoted as saying that he didn't think anyone else would draft Mahomes or Watson so they just sat on their hands & waited for one to drop to them?
I don’t. You don’t know that he did. What we do know was that two teams successfully traded ahead of him knowing we needed a QB and keim didn’t land either one. So you can be happy having dreams about whatever fantasyland may or may not not have occurred. I’ll continue to live in what actually is.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yep, that’s my concern on both positions. We have no flexibility to maneuver and everyone in the league is aware of what we need. Prime position to be jumped in both rounds.
If you think other teams don't know who teams are drafting before it happens you would be fooling your self. I received a text about three picks before we drafted marcus Golden. That info can't from a member of another teams front office. And as we all know they were right.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
right. So three years ago he already had injury problems that destroyed a season.

and I’m not dogging you on this. You seem to think a warm body = position taken care of. You did the same by making the incredibly specious argument that the cover wasn’t bare at RB because we had a career back up and two guys who have never proven they even belong on the field rounding out the group.

it’s an argument of quantity = quality. Which it just clearly doesn’t, but has fit Keim’s thinking in certain areas over time. And over time, those areas have consistently bitten us in the ass.

Apologize for actually understanding the term "bare".

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Apologize for actually understanding the term "bare".
I’m a big believer in the concept of “words have meaning,” but there’s also reading with context and recognition of hyperbole and sarcasm that should be inherent in all readers other than those for whom English is a second language, no?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m a big believer in the concept of “words have meaning,” but there’s also reading with context and recognition of hyperbole and sarcasm that should be inherent in all readers other than those for whom English is a second language, no?

English is my second language.

Je ne connais pas toutes les nuances de la langue anglaise.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So you just don't always understand the content of posts. No shame if you can't grasp the nuances.

I'm French (Québécois), wife French (Québécoise), children French, work in French, dream in French and order coffee in French.

Bonjour, une tasse de café s'il vous plaît. ;)

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its Rondale Moore by a mile...IF he doesnt go in the first.

I have been studying up on him lately, and IMO he is the #5 WR (Chase, Smith, Pitts, Waddle, Moore IMO).

The kid is a FREAK athlete...like stands out among other freak athletes. He is short...5'7...but there may not be a more explosive guy in the draft.

He would bring a Tyreke Hill sort of weapon that we do not have.

Reaction score
I don’t. You don’t know that he did. What we do know was that two teams successfully traded ahead of him knowing we needed a QB and keim didn’t land either one. So you can be happy having dreams about whatever fantasyland may or may not not have occurred. I’ll continue to live in what actually is.

That's just it. We don't know so I'm not going to hold it against him that we weren't able to move up for Mahomes. I didn't care about Watson in that draft. I wanted Mahomes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's just it. We don't know so I'm not going to hold it against him that we weren't able to move up for Mahomes. I didn't care about Watson in that draft. I wanted Mahomes.
Lol this whole conversation wasn’t about ability to land mahomes. It was about a gm that backs himself into a corner about what he needs or should be targeting, other teams know it and trade ahead of him. That’s massive failure by a gm. And I think his drafting record evidences it.

Reaction score
Lol this whole conversation wasn’t about ability to land mahomes. It was about a gm that backs himself into a corner about what he needs or should be targeting, other teams know it and trade ahead of him. That’s massive failure by a gm. And I think his drafting record evidences it.

It was about you knocking him for something he supposedly didn't do when you had no idea if he did or not. That was trying to trade up for Mahomes or Watson.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was about you knocking him for something he supposedly didn't do when you had no idea if he did or not. That was trying to trade up for Mahomes or Watson.
No it wasn’t. Go back and read the thread. It was about a gm who gets jumped bc his need is obvious. I have no idea if tried to trade up, but we all do know that others did and he didn’t land the players he wanted. We are staring at similar situations at cb and rb.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Cards never had any intention of drafting Mahomes. They may have done if he was there at 13 and fell in their laps, but it was never the plan.

That crap from BA when he went into color commentary about how he was the smartest QB he saw, how they loved him and wanted to draft him etc was pure crap.

Nobody ever waits for a QB they love to fall to 13. If you want a QB you move up to get him, like the Niners just did.

BA never wanted a rookie QB. He wanted a vet he could win now with and that was Palmer for him. He didn't care about the future.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Cards never had any intention of drafting Mahomes. They may have done if he was there at 13 and fell in their laps, but it was never the plan.

That crap from BA when he went into color commentary about how he was the smartest QB he saw, how they loved him and wanted to draft him etc was pure crap.

Nobody ever waits for a QB they love to fall to 13. If you want a QB you move up to get him, like the Niners just did.

BA never wanted a rookie QB. He wanted a vet he could win now with and that was Palmer for him. He didn't care about the future.
I disagree with you. There was lots of chatter that year about how these QBs weren't really first round caliber, and if you wanted them, you could move back. I think it's fair to be completely blindsided by not only one but two teams trading up 13-17 picks in the first round to snag the guys, especially if you liked both and were only counting on getting one. I think you go from wildly confident at the start of the 10th pick that your 2 guys only need to last three picks, to completely shocked by the sticker price to compete to move up just a few slots, and there's no world in which you're competing with a team offering up a 1st round pick.

Retrospectively, it wasn't smart to not offer up the next year's 1st and more to get a leg up on those teams, but at the time, ownership and the fanbase would have absolutely crucified you for doing that to move up one-three picks for guys considered to have big warts.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with you. There was lots of chatter that year about how these QBs weren't really first round caliber, and if you wanted them, you could move back. I think it's fair to be completely blindsided by not only one but two teams trading up 13-17 picks in the first round to snag the guys, especially if you liked both and were only counting on getting one. I think you go from wildly confident at the start of the 10th pick that your 2 guys only need to last three picks, to completely shocked by the sticker price to compete to move up just a few slots, and there's no world in which you're competing with a team offering up a 1st round pick.

Retrospectively, it wasn't smart to not offer up the next year's 1st and more to get a leg up on those teams, but at the time, ownership and the fanbase would have absolutely crucified you for doing that to move up one-three picks for guys considered to have big warts.

It doesn't matter what the chatter is. Draft chatter (like mock drafts) have very little, if anything to do with real life.

The proof if right there in the 2017 draft where the Bears gave away 4 picks to move up 1 spot to draft a QB the whole world knows was going to be there #3 anyway.

If you think the guy is so good you are going to draft him with your first round pick to be your future QB then you have to believe others are seeing the same thing you are. Then add in the fact that it was well known that the Chiefs had major interest in Mahomes. They were looking for partners to trade up at the combine and had talked to 5 or 6 of the teams in the top 10 about trading up, plus they were in touch with Mahomes agent very early in the draft process. All that stuff gets around, and agents make sure it does to drive up interest.

Every team knew the Chiefs were hot on Mahomes, so with all these things in mind why would you stand pat at 13 and hope for the best?

So one of two things happened.

1) This was just BA playing his QB whisper role for the media and saying he always knew Mahomes would be great, and you can't say that without saying you wanted to draft him. Remember, this is what BA said after the actual draft about Reddick.

"There wasn’t a quarterback near him on the board," Arians said. "And you can’t reach at that point in time."

2) The whole Cards FO including Bidwill, Keim, BA and the whole scouting team are dumb as rocks and thought they were the only team who liked Mahomes and that he was just going to fall into their lap.

Two is possible, because you know, past experience. But I think this was just BA playing Grandpa football.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose