Doctor Who

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I was left disappointed after the season finale. Definitely not a satisfying ending.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to give the writers credit for the last 3 episodes getting rid of "cranky" Capaldi but I am still not high on him at all. Seems like a stop gap. The season finale was "meh" but the reveal of

Missy being "The Master" was huge in the Whoverse because people have talked about a regeneration into a female character for years. It just so happens it was The Master and not the Doctor. So now we know it's possible. My guess is we could see a female Doctor on the next regeneration.

However, in typical fashion the writers did flub up something. First there was no "real" explanation how The Master survived and then there was the "alleged" disintegration of "The Master" but we all know that didn't happen. If you look closely her disappearance matched the color phasing out when she transported from the plane. It's simply stupid the way they handled that. Nobody...I mean nobody who is a Who fan believes The Master is dead.

Last but not least, the Clara sendoff was sort of pathetic. She pretty much made the entire season as was the strongest of the characters and her sendoff was lackluster. Maybe they will bring her back for the Christmas special.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just started watching this show. Saw it on netflix and thought I would give it a try. I love it! It's fun and I have always loved the Brits sense of humor.

I'm about done with season 1.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just started watching this show. Saw it on netflix and thought I would give it a try. I love it! It's fun and I have always loved the Brits sense of humor.

I'm about done with season 1.

So you're just about done with 9? Hold onto your seat. 10 really takes it up a notch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think I'm at the season finale of the first season of the new Dr Who, and we still haven't gotten used to it. Too goofy for our taste, even though I do like Billie Piper and Chris Eccleston.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think I'm at the season finale of the first season of the new Dr Who, and we still haven't gotten used to it. Too goofy for our taste, even though I do like Billie Piper and Chris Eccleston.

I think it gets better but it never loses the "goofy". If that's an issue for you now it probably won't go away. I still think it's among the best sci-fi shows ever but like all of them, it has it's ups and downs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm curious why people consider it among the best Sci-Fi television ever made. My idea of the best sci-fi has been X-Files and Lost-- with a healthy serving of Battlestar, Star Trek thrown in.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm curious why people consider it among the best Sci-Fi television ever made. My idea of the best sci-fi has been X-Files and Lost-- with a healthy serving of Battlestar, Star Trek thrown in.

I agree on X Files but Battlestar did nothing for me. So, different people and different tastes. I think the sheer number of episodes would lend credence to the idea that it's considered among the best sci-fi shows. But I really wouldn't know how to define what puts it up there. For me, I think some of the horror scripts are right up there with the best X Files had to offer.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm curious why you'd consider Lost a sci-fi show. I'm not talking about quality, though you know I didn't get into it. It just didn't seem at all like a sci-fi show to me.

As for Doctor Who, I don't know that I'd put it up there with the best sci-fi shows. Still, I can't deny its huge impact in that area. It is one of the biggest ones, if nothing else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm curious why you'd consider Lost a sci-fi show. I'm not talking about quality, though you know I didn't get into it. It just didn't seem at all like a sci-fi show to me.

As for Doctor Who, I don't know that I'd put it up there with the best sci-fi shows. Still, I can't deny its huge impact in that area. It is one of the biggest ones, if nothing else.

Science Fiction is a pretty broad category--it doesn't just mean something that takes place in space. Granted, Lost is probably more philosophy than science, but it's still science fiction IMO.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Science Fiction is a pretty broad category--it doesn't just mean something that takes place in space. Granted, Lost is probably more philosophy than science, but it's still science fiction IMO.

LOL as a genre writer, I know that quite well. Granted, I haven't watched the show, but it seemed like horror/fantasy, not sci-fi.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Lost gets very sci-fi in the last season.
Time travel anybody?

I started Dr. Who when Matt Smith "came to America". I've gone back and watched most of Matt Smith's reign from the beginning. Love it! Also loved Amy Pond. I'm enjoying Capaldi as well.

Got a little taste of Tennant during the recent "Doctor's Finest" on BBC America. Thinking about going back eventually and watching his entire run. Worth going back before that?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Time travel anybody?

I started Dr. Who when Matt Smith "came to America". I've gone back and watched most of Matt Smith's reign from the beginning. Love it! Also loved Amy Pond. I'm enjoying Capaldi as well.

Got a little taste of Tennant during the recent "Doctor's Finest" on BBC America. Thinking about going back eventually and watching his entire run. Worth going back before that?

Definitely worth watching Tennant's whole run. He's my second favorite doctor. Allons-y! My favorite doctor will always be Eccleston. He was so bi-polar, in a good way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time travel anybody?

Tennant was the best to date and it's not even close IMO. He was my favorite since Tom Baker. I liked Eccleston and wish he had hung on at least one more season. Matt Smith annoyed the hell out of me at first but grew on me towards the end. Capaldi? Not a fan. Period. I am counting down the time to the next regeneration. If it wasn't for Jenna Coleman (Clara) I might have tuned out until it happened. She is worth watching.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I thought Tennant was the best doctor but Smith had the best companions and storylines. I thought Capaldi got off to a rough start but I liked him a lot more by the end of the season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I guess "Bill" looks interesting but am I the only one dreading trying to figure out what she's saying? And I know I'm not the only one that wants to do something about her annoying eyebrows.

For those that don't know, Bill is the new female companion.

Last edited:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Drives TARDIS for 5 seconds, crashes it.

Thanks Moffat for your parting misogynistic shot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Drives TARDIS for 5 seconds, crashes it.

Thanks Moffat for your parting misogynistic shot.

Speaking of Jodie Whittaker, I found out recently she is going to be part of our extended family as soon as my brother and his fiancé tie the not.

Told him I will disown him if he screws it up but only because it would be cool to have the next Doctor Who in our family circle.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks cool:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone still watching this show? My wife and I stopped at the start of season 11 the last time we watched it so we decided it was time for a re-watch. Still love the show and even enjoyed Capaldi this time around. However, we couldn't make it into season 12. I was against the idea of a female doctor (and a female master) but I was impressed with Jodie in the role so we gave her first season a try. We both disliked it despite really liking Jodie's version of the Doctor.

Anyone else feel differently?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Is anyone still watching this show? My wife and I stopped at the start of season 11 the last time we watched it so we decided it was time for a re-watch. Still love the show and even enjoyed Capaldi this time around. However, we couldn't make it into season 12. I was against the idea of a female doctor (and a female master) but I was impressed with Jodie in the role so we gave her first season a try. We both disliked it despite really liking Jodie's version of the Doctor.

Anyone else feel differently?
I’m still watching. I also don’t mind Jodie as the Doctor and think she is a good fit for the role, but I have felt that the storylines since she has taken over have been really, really weak.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson