• 25-50% chance

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • 0-25% chance

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If he has sculpted so well why did they diminish upon leaving? People don’t just forget what they’re taught.... Again if he’s so good at it why the urgency to move on from Garoppolo? Who league wide many have considered a top flight talent including the 9ers who just paid him a 100+ million dollar contract? He hasent really groomed a young talent for long term success... that’s hard to argue regardless of Choppers findings.
Actually Shane the fact they diminish upon his departure only further bolsters his the argument of shanahan being a qb whisperer. If they’re only good when he’s there, and we see that happen again and again it’s pretty obvious he’s the difference.

also, a QB coach, OC, head coach does more than just work with a QBs mechanics. They work with their mindset, with the preparation, they figure out their QBs strengths and weaknesses and play to them accordingly, they also help the QB to make in-game adjustments or see things differently. If you don’t believe shanahan made a difference with those guys in all those things, why were they meh before he arrived, peaked with him there, and returned to meh after his departure?

also, players do forget mechanics all the time. In all sports. It’s why it’s not uncommon to see a golfer go back to a prior swing coach, because their swing gets out of whack without them even realizing that. You don’t think the same occurs with quarterbacks? It absolutely does.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
· 1h
49ers-Dolphins...Kyle Shanahan trying to control his own fate. You trade up to 3 for a QB who is NFL-ready right now, not a project. And to me that says Mac Jones.
Man I would have thought they could stay at 12 and still get jones. Bold move "cotton".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Coached Matt Ryan to his best season.
69.9 cop % 4944 yards 38 TDs 7 Ints 117.1 rating

Coached Matt Schaub to his best season.
67.9 comp % 4770 yards 29 TDs 15 Ints 98.6 rating

Coached Jimmy G to his best season.
69.1 comp % 3978 yards 27 TDs 13 Ints 102 rating

Coached Rex Grossman to his highest yards per game in his career twice, and one of those was over 300 yards in 13 games. Arguably his best season.
57.9% comp % (career high at 31) 3151 yards 16 TDs 20 Ints 72.4 rating

Coached RGIII to the only two 3000 yard seasons of his career. Best seasons.
65.6 comp % 3200 yards 20 TDs 5 Ints 102.4 rating
60.1 comp % 3203 yards 16 TDs 12 Ints 82.2 rating

So...

While I agree with this, outside of RGIII, all of these guys were veterans. RGIII just had freak ability.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not saying hes not a good coach... His teams clearly show that he is overall… But can you show the list of quarterbacks that he’s developed into bona fide stars? Matt Ryan was good long before he got to him. He clearly hasn’t shown that he can make Jimmy Garoppolo better?
Objective isn't "to develop QB's" - it's to win Super Bowls (although growing a QB is typically a key part of the equation).

For all we know, Lynch could turn around and trade the pick again.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
He made the likes of Schaub, Beathardt, Mullens look like NFL starting caliber. No way he would've botched the easy playoff chance we had against the Rams. Shanahan offense is the most QB friendly in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m sure the same things were said during Mahomes’ pro day. No reason we can’t geek out on kid’s raw arm talent.

Heh, I said the same thing about Russell Wilson though...I'd watch throws at Wisconsin/NC State and I would think, "No way THAT isn't a pick in the NFL!"

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heh, I said the same thing about Russell Wilson though...I'd watch throws at Wisconsin/NC State and I would think, "No way THAT isn't a pick in the NFL!"
And in the first season it was or was incomplete, in the frist 2 season Russll wasn't asked to win it, even in the SB it was an int in the 3rd season when Russell was asked to win it.

But at the moment I'm not so sold on the 2021 draft is like the 2012 or 2018 draft, and even the 2012 draft had 4 QB in the top 22 and only Tanehill is still playing in the playoffs of this bunch. Wilson was a 3rd rounder and today would be a top 10 draft pick because height wouldn't be a concern anymore.

This 2021 draft is even more a crapshot as usual.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the 49ers pick will be an upgrade from Garoppolo and it's not like they had much trouble winning with Garoppolo in the first place. Every team in the division is pushing to win now. If the Rams and 49ers stay healthy this year they are both NFC frontrunners. Seahawks are always competitive. Gonna be a challenging year for the coaching staff. On paper we have the worst roster in our division, but a lot of things can happen during an NFL season. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Other than the 13 win season, the best record he’s had is 6-10.

maybe some of us do realize just how good he is.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That team has been beset by injuries every season.
did happen to BA and he got to 8-8 with Stanton and in the playoffs with Lindley.

I'm not saying Shanahan isn't good, but he has a system that works well for QB, but can be stopped as well very easily if the offense starts to struggle. And after some time, your opponent knows what you are up to. That was also BA's problem here with CP and the O-line.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
i’m not really buying what you’re selling considering the long-term success of those quarterbacks after being with him.... On top of the fact that they have Jimmy Garoppolo and are still trading up to get away from him.... Shouldnt his coaching have fixed whatever issues they see with him that they feel the need to move on? It’s not like he’s old.... A good coach yes. A bona fide QB whisperer?? Meh

It’s Ken whisenhunt moving on from ML.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
@Shane it stands to reason Shanahan has made some of his money from his lemonade produced from low hanging fruit. His job isn’t in jeopardy, yet he is pushing his chips into the middle for what he believes will be an upgrade at QB. JG sucks. IF BB thought he was such a winner, he’d have already dealt for him IMO.

shanahan >>>> klingsbury

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
And in the first season it was or was incomplete, in the frist 2 season Russll wasn't asked to win it, even in the SB it was an int in the 3rd season when Russell was asked to win it.

But at the moment I'm not so sold on the 2021 draft is like the 2012 or 2018 draft, and even the 2012 draft had 4 QB in the top 22 and only Tanehill is still playing in the playoffs of this bunch. Wilson was a 3rd rounder and today would be a top 10 draft pick because height wouldn't be a concern anymore.

This 2021 draft is even more a crapshot as usual.

My gut's been saying the 2021 draft is going to be like the 2011 draft when it comes to QBs.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
· 9m
Kyle Shanahan gets the most out of QBs who trust his system and make the right reads: Matt Schaub 2009 passing champ Kirk Cousins w Wash Matt Ryan 2016 MVP Mac Jones is an ideal QB for that mold, more on par with Ryan

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Other than the 13 win season, the best record he’s had is 6-10.

maybe some of us do realize just how good he is.
A true zero-context take.

In the only season in SF where Jimmy stayed healthy they went to the Super Bowl.

Prior to that he took Matt Ryan to the Super Bowl in Atlanta. I say he took them because in his first year as OC, they went 8-8 (following two sub .500 seasons) and then the next year they won 11 games and went to the Super Bowl. After he left they had one above 500 season over 4 seasons and the coach got fired.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A true zero-context take.

In the only season in SF where Jimmy stayed healthy they went to the Super Bowl.

Prior to that he took Matt Ryan to the Super Bowl in Atlanta. I say he took them because in his first year as OC, they went 8-8 (following two sub .500 seasons) and then the next year they won 11 games and went to the Super Bowl. After he left they had one above 500 season over 4 seasons and the coach got fired.
Really??? First off wasn't his play calling severely questioned in blowing a 28 point SB lead?

Every team has injuries. Pittsburgh was winning with Mason and Duck at QB. Bill B. won with Matt Cassell. Like mentioned, BA won with Stanton. The Eagles won it all with Foles. The Saints were undefeated with Teddy at QB. The list goes on and on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose