Free Agency Rumors

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
just a reminder, the PFF rankings of the Cards two outside corners were #83 (P2) and #105 (Dre K)

i think finding two corners to take those slots and upgrade them wont be difficult
Look at the free agent list and tell me that again.

The vast majority of PFF's higher rated FAs are slot guys. We already (stupidly) invested the #33 overall pick in Byron Murphy two years ago, and he can't play outside, so your list of guys available is pretty poor.

William Jackson is the only guy I think may represent an upgrade, and with the Bengals' cap space, I'm thinking there's like a 5% chance he's wearing Cardinal red this year.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Apparently P2 making announcment on his podcast about his decision

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Apparently P2 making announcment on his podcast about his decision

if that is what he is doing, then it has to be the Cards, yes? he cant sign with anyone else yet

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nothing about this move would shock me, but I am really wary about this guy. I don't want much to do with a guy who headed up a defense that was pacing to give up a historic amount of passing yardage last year.
He didn’t have a pass rush in front of him. I’d like to see what he can do with less time to cover.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
Trai Turner is another Pro Bowl player that was released. He could be another target for the right money.
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
2m

The #Chargers are releasing Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner, sources say, after attempting to trade him for the past few days. His release saves more than $11M against the cap.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Look at the free agent list and tell me that again.

The vast majority of PFF's higher rated FAs are slot guys. We already (stupidly) invested the #33 overall pick in Byron Murphy two years ago, and he can't play outside, so your list of guys available is pretty poor.

William Jackson is the only guy I think may represent an upgrade, and with the Bengals' cap space, I'm thinking there's like a 5% chance he's wearing Cardinal red this year.

for all the "meh" names on that list, many had better PFF grades than Peterson, and nearly all better than Kirkpatrick

again, PFF isnt everything, but its something. And fwiw: PFF considers slot corner a high value position

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
for all the "meh" names on that list, many had better PFF grades than Peterson, and nearly all better than Kirkpatrick

again, PFF isnt everything, but its something. And fwiw: PFF considers slot corner a high value position
I should probably make clear, I do think plenty of that list is an upgrade or equal to Kirkpatrick. I don't think they're much better than Patrick Peterson.

I'm not arguing that slot isn't important overall, but I have to admit I'm a little salty we spent the #33 pick on Murphy and he can't play anywhere but the slot... and is doing only an okay job of it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is similar to Zane. They want him back but don't want to pay the tender minimum and will give him a chance to see if someone will let him play WR.

I hope he comes back. I'm a big fan.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trai Turner is another Pro Bowl player that was released. He could be another target for the right money.
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
2m

The #Chargers are releasing Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner, sources say, after attempting to trade him for the past few days. His release saves more than $11M against the cap.

I don't know how he played last season but I remember him being one of the best guards since his rookie season

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should probably make clear, I do think plenty of that list is an upgrade or equal to Kirkpatrick. I don't think they're much better than Patrick Peterson.

I'm not arguing that slot isn't important overall, but I have to admit I'm a little salty we spent the #33 pick on Murphy and he can't play anywhere but the slot... and is doing only an okay job of it.

Fitzpatrick and peterson didn't play well that's why they have been ranked in the bottom of the nfl, isn't difficult to upgrade the position
About Murphy, I'm agree, too many limitations to be drafted so early but I can see him turning in to a great safety

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fitzpatrick and peterson didn't play well that's why they have been ranked in the bottom of the nfl, isn't difficult to upgrade the position
About Murphy, I'm agree, too many limitations to be drafted so early but I can see him turning in to a great safety

I agree. If we really wanted to play it right we would move Murphy to Safety and see if Budda and Murphy are the right fit together. He is never going to be an elite CB, but I think he could be a pro-bowl level safety.

Peterson will never be able to play safety because he couldn't tackle a wet paper bag

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. If we really wanted to play it right we would move Murphy to Safety and see if Budda and Murphy are the right fit together. He is never going to be an elite CB, but I think he could be a pro-bowl level safety.

Peterson will never be able to play safety because he couldn't tackle a wet paper bag

Murphy is a great tackler and if he plays behind has nose for the ball and can cover amazingly well cause he can read the plays pretty fast if he plays deep, he struggle when he has to turn his back and can't locate the ball

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's like this, who would you want at #1 corner still, Peterson or Murphy? Pat... beggars cannot be choosers right now :raccoon:

pat is easily better than murphy. But really I feel like it is time to move on with someone younger.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
pat is easily better than murphy. But really I feel like it is time to move on with someone younger.

I concur, and maybe we can find a vet who is comparable and cheaper but right now PP is maybe the most accessible option if the price is not too outrageous for his current ability... I do not want rookie CBs or WRs learning on the job early on and costing us at the end of season by their learning curve for a playoff berth

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure Juju is the type of WR we need. If they somehow figure out the money I would target Golliday. I know its a not a legit source. Just was saying.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I concur, and maybe we can find a vet who is comparable and cheaper but right now PP is maybe the most accessible option if the price is not too outrageous for his current ability... I do not want rookie CBs or WRs learning on the job early on and costing us at the end of season by their learning curve for a playoff berth
What would be the difference in play between a rookie CB & Peterson’s

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Juju is ok, but I don’t think he is worth more than 12 or so, and I doubt that is enough to sign him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What would be the difference in play between a rookie CB & Peterson’s
It just so happens that we pick at #16, and last year, a CB went at #16.

In two less games, the rookie (AJ Terrell) managed to give up 18 more receptions, 274 more passing yards, one more TD, and an overall 109.6 passer rating to PP's 98.2.

That's the difference.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It just so happens that we pick at #16, and last year, a CB went at #16.

In two less games, the rookie (AJ Terrell) managed to give up 18 more receptions, 274 more passing yards, one more TD, and an overall 109.6 passer rating to PP's 98.2.

That's the difference.
Then you realize AJ had nothing resembling a pass rush(in a division dominated with WR1s)while Peterson was blessed with a good one in front of him.

Even more the reason to trust a rookie before a has been.