Booker Question

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hadn’t caught that. If it wasn’t egregious that doesn’t get called all the time.

To my eye, it was quite a bit worse than the one that got him whistled for his fourth foul, right after the elbow-three call was overturned.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To my eye, it was quite a bit worse than the one that got him whistled for his fourth foul, right after the elbow-three call was overturned.
I’ll take your word for it. Truth is, our defense was ultimately what cost us the game last night.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People really need to stop comparing Booker’s game to Jordan or Kobe. They just aren’t that similar. He’s a better shooter than they are, but they far surpass his ability to attack the rim, his handles and passing ability to a degree where it’s not even funny.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People really need to stop comparing Booker’s game to Jordan or Kobe. They just aren’t that similar. He’s a better shooter than they are, but they far surpass his ability to attack the rim, his handles and passing ability to a degree where it’s not even funny.

I always thought that comparing Kobe to Michael was absurd but comparing Booker to Kobe is just as unrealistic. I love Booker but he has no business being compared to an all time great let alone THE all time great.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought that comparing Kobe to Michael was absurd but comparing Booker to Kobe is just as unrealistic. I love Booker but he has no business being compared to an all time great let alone THE all time great.

I think Kobe had a profound impact on Devin Booker and it's carried over to the media. Below are some comments from Devin Booker about Kobe's impact on him.

From NBC Sports:

“It’s been a lot of what I do, man, mentality wise, approach wise everything, before I even knew him personally, he had shaped my life. My basketball career. My approach to everything,” Booker said. “The biggest thing for me was earning his respect,” Booker said. “To even be the guy in the room after we play them that he wanted to talk to or share advice with. Then our relationship had grown from there. Just figuring out what type of person he was outside of the Mamba mentality. How he raised his daughters and how much of a family man he was something that was just incredible.”

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/03/04/devin-bookers-new-be-legendary-tattoo-a-tribute-to-kobe-bryant/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Let’s be honest and just agree that Booker > MJ

This version
You must be registered for see images attach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The dude was just sickening. Sometimes I watch old school greats and wonder if they'd be as great playing in today's game. I watch Jordan and just think, "That's not fair". Nobody played like young Jordan. There's no comparison.
I think that about Wilt, too! He could play today even without shooting the three. They talk about Zion or Shaw being unstoppable down low, Wilt really was. Also Magic and Larry could play today. Some others come to mind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that about Wilt, too! He could play today even without shooting the three. They talk about Zion or Shaw being unstoppable down low, Wilt really was. Also Magic and Larry could play today. Some others come to mind.
There are a lot of players that could play today, they would adapt to the rules. Like the 93 suns - every single one of them could’ve played today.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jordan transitioned from a great scorer to a winner when he started playing smarter, not harder. i don't think Booker has another gear to go to mentally (age and experience will help, but, imo, not enough)

in tonight's Laker game, yet another mental collapse in the 3rd.
sure, again, the refs were hard on him -- but GET A CLUE -- you're hurting the team -- adapt, damn it

if we don't advance in the playoffs it will be because of 2 things -- Booker's head and Ayton's hands

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You laugh, he was a shotblocker and great passer. He wouldn’t have started but he’d be a skilled player today.
And he could catch the ball. His college coach said “he can catch a dime in the dark.”

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan transitioned from a great scorer to a winner when he started playing smarter, not harder. i don't think Booker has another gear to go to mentally (age and experience will help, but, imo, not enough)

in tonight's Laker game, yet another mental collapse in the 3rd.
sure, again, the refs were hard on him -- but GET A CLUE -- you're hurting the team -- adapt, damn it

if we don't advance in the playoffs it will be because of 2 things -- Booker's head and Ayton's hands
I am not going to be hard on him about last nights game. When you are doing the same thing you have been doing 100s of times before and this time you get tossed, it’s on them, not you. Bookers behavior last night was the same as it has always been. Actually, that one probably deserves an investigation.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Paul is on the floor steadying the team when the team needs him
(and so were Jordan and Kobe, especially under pressure -- playoff pressure. ref pressure)

when you play 8 games and half of them you're not on the floor in the 4th because of foul trouble, technicals, or an ejection, you're not a leader. navigating bad refereeing is part of the challenge of winning in pro sports

got a bad rep with the refs? your bad. they're part of the obstacle course on route to a championship

if you play poker with 4 players, and only play the hand you're dealt, you'll win 25% of the time.
to leave a winner, you've got to play the heads, not just the cards

Last edited:

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Michael Jordan was disqualified 11 times due to technical fouls.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lets trade Book.

Its a only matter of time before he's beating up kids for French fries, trafficking Coke or throwing people through bar windows.

Seriously he will NEVER be Kobe, Mike or Lebron but he works his ass off and has those lofty goals to strive for.

Glad hes on my team so i can watch how close he can get.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker has the accolades now. Nothing more to prove.

He is recognized by the media and is a two time NBA All-Star. He might be better off not complaining about as many calls or changing the way he talks to referees

That said, apparently there must be an audience otherwise why would Lebron keep complaining to the referees for foul calls.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker has the accolades now. Nothing more to prove.

He is recognized by the media and is a two time NBA All-Star. He might be better off not complaining about as many calls or changing the way he talks to referees

That said, apparently there must be an audience otherwise why would Lebron keep complaining to the referees for foul calls.

I agree with all this. I think Paul will help teach him how to talk to refs. Its something that might not be discussed between them until incidents like the Laker game though. Booker has never had a vet to teach him the proper way to handle refs, or a coach who would stick up for him and get the occasional T for him either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with all this. I think Paul will help teach him how to talk to refs. Its something that might not be discussed between them until incidents like the Laker game though. Booker has never had a vet to teach him the proper way to handle refs, or a coach who would stick up for him and get the occasional T for him either.
What? He didn’t have a father who was an nba player? High school a d college coaches? NBA coaches? Other veteran players? I call bull.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? He didn’t have a father who was an nba player? High school a d college coaches? NBA coaches? Other veteran players? I call bull.

Its hard to believe he's picked up bad habits being the franchise player on a hapless bottom dweller the last 4-5 seasons? He didn't mouth off to refs this much in his first or second season, did he? Why do you suppose he started doing so more often? The NBA today is a different league than when his dad played and Devin is in an entirely different role than his dad was ever in.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its hard to believe he's picked up bad habits being the franchise player on a hapless bottom dweller the last 4-5 seasons? He didn't mouth off to refs this much in his first or second season, did he? Why do you suppose he started doing so more often? The NBA today is a different league than when his dad played and Devin is in an entirely different role than his dad was ever in.
Booker is smart. Quit making excuses for him. He knows better. He is not some poor misguided child.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is smart. Quit making excuses for him. He knows better. He is not some poor misguided child.

Did I say he was a poor misguided child? Not even close. He's a player who sees other franchise guys like LeBron, Harden, Steph, etc all work refs all game long and seldom do they ever get tossed or T'd up. He's someone who has developed some bad habits and a reputation with refs that he needs to correct. That's what I'm saying and I think Paul can help him in that regard. But no, you think I'm making excuses for him because he's some misguided child.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This hole tread is a flop about as good as Lebron's flops. The biggest problem with the NBA today is the officiating. Maybe not Lebron but whoever is the biggest flopper today

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones says Devin Booker could have played if it was the playoffs.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

Phoenix Suns General Manager James Jones said Devin Booker could've played if it was the playoffs even though he missed Sunday's All-Star game with a left knee sprain.

"He's good," Jones said Tuesday afternoon, during an interview with The Arizona Republic. "We'll re-evaluate it. He could've played if he had to. If it's the playoffs, he would've been playing, but it's not. It's an All-Star game."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...r-knee-couldve-played-if-playoffs/6931731002/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose