Booker Question

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More encouraging news about Booker from FLEX From Jersey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More encouraging news about Booker from FLEX From Jersey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks for that story, it's great to hear. We've seen hits like that before that seem harmless at the time but turn out to be something serious. I hope for the best always but our history with injured players is not the greatest.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that story, it's great to hear. We've seen hits like that before that seem harmless at the time but turn out to be something serious. I hope for the best always but our history with injured players is not the greatest.

I'm hoping for the best.

If Booker doesn't play Thursday against Portland or the Pacers on Saturday then my concern will grow.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that Thompson is as close as I've ever seen to Jordan offensively, but then there's the defense......

Bryant probably comes the closest if you're talking both ends of the court, but he didn't dominate like Jordan did.

Booker shoots the 3 better than either of them, but that's pretty much it. He's not really in the conversation otherwise.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
People tend to forget how ridiculous young Wade was. He was the closest thing to young-MJ in terms of slashing/finishing/efficiency. Even young Kobe was closer to twilight MJ than prime MJ. Wade was more unselfish than Kobe but his peak was only a few years due to his body breaking down.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People tend to forget how ridiculous young Wade was. He was the closest thing to young-MJ in terms of slashing/finishing/efficiency. Even young Kobe was closer to twilight MJ than prime MJ. Wade was more unselfish than Kobe but his peak was only a few years due to his body breaking down.

I was thinking about whose game was most like Jordan's and Wade was the first name that came to mind. He was ridiculously good prior to LeBron joining the Heat and his body breaking down. Wade was a beast early on and athletically he was capable of doing anything he wanted on the floor.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking about whose game was most like Jordan's and Wade was the first name that came to mind. He was ridiculously good prior to LeBron joining the Heat and his body breaking down. Wade was a beast early on and athletically he was capable of doing anything he wanted on the floor.
Man did I love him coming out of Marquette. I remember being actually jealous that the suns wouldn’t get him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man did I love him coming out of Marquette. I remember being actually jealous that the suns wouldn’t get him.

I knew who he was but I really hadn't paid much attention to him until he had that run in the tournament. By the time he carried Marquette to the upset over top ranked Kentucky, it was clear he wasn't dropping out of the top 5. Of course, we then added insult to injury by drafting Zarko instead of David West - West was never a big star but he was a solid player and we really could have used his toughness.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I knew who he was but I really hadn't paid much attention to him until he had that run in the tournament. By the time he carried Marquette to the upset over top ranked Kentucky, it was clear he wasn't dropping out of the top 5. Of course, we then added insult to injury by drafting Zarko instead of David West - West was never a big star but he was a solid player and we really could have used his toughness.
Back then I was a total college hoops junky. I watched TOO much college basketball. So I was enamored with wade. So much so that I was bummed when he had the tourney run bc I knew it would place him outta our reach.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never watched much college ball. I remember becoming enamored with Wade during his rookie season in Miami for that playoff run where he got them to the 2nd round and put up one hell of a fight against the Pacers. I knew he'd have a long career in Miami and wished he was selected by another team because the Heat were too good of a franchise to let him go. Then they added Shaq a year later and became legit contenders instantly. Even though Shaq had a lot left in the tank it was clear they were only going as far as Wade could take them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I never watched much college ball. I remember becoming enamored with Wade during his rookie season in Miami for that playoff run where he got them to the 2nd round and put up one hell of a fight against the Pacers. I knew he'd have a long career in Miami and wished he was selected by another team because the Heat were too good of a franchise to let him go. Then they added Shaq a year later and became legit contenders instantly. Even though Shaq had a lot left in the tank it was clear they were only going as far as Wade could take them.

Detroit went to b2b finals after that draft and got nothing from their pick. Imagine Wade or Melo as their 6th man for at least one year maybe two until they break the starting rotation. In retrospect the Darko hype train was steaming so I didn’t fault them at the time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit went to b2b finals after that draft and got nothing from their pick. Imagine Wade or Melo as their 6th man for at least one year maybe two until they break the starting rotation. In retrospect the Darko hype train was steaming so I didn’t fault them at the time.

Of course Detroit was the one team that didn't need to add a star either and they certainly didn't. That draft was so hyped it was unreal. I remember the top 3 players all being touted as franchise guys and wherever they went had more to do with what style of team they'd be rather than any talk of them busting. With Bosh and Wade viewed as consolation prizes who'd be starters for years to come but nowhere near the MVP candidates that LeBron, Darko, and Melo would be. Seeing 4 of the top 5 pan out was unusual.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
another characteristic that distinguishes the greats from Booker:
when they got mad they got better -- more focused, more dangerous.
as in the Twolve's game, Booker often just gets more aggressive, but sloppy

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
next game, CP3 gets mad in the 4th, gets 2 steals, an assist and a rebound in about a minute

yes, Booker is only 24, but that may be an argument against making him your franchise/max player/team leader instead of someone else. i don't want to wait till he's 34 to smarten up enough for us to be a championship contender.

overall, i'm thankful to have Booker. but we signed Chris Paul to compete now. the timeline is now. and, the reality may be that in 2 years we'll need to sign another superstar (or 2, as is the trend) because we can't book on Book!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
next game, CP3 gets mad in the 4th, gets 2 steals, an assist and a rebound in about a minute

yes, Booker is only 24, but that may be an argument against making him your franchise/max player/team leader instead of someone else. i don't want to wait till he's 34 to smarten up enough for us to be a championship contender.

overall, i'm thankful to have Booker. but we signed Chris Paul to compete now. the timeline is now. and, the reality may be that in 2 years we'll need to sign another superstar (or 2, as is the trend) because we can't book on Book!

If we didn't max Booker, he would've left. It'd be great to have an even better franchise player, but they're pretty hard to come by. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make. Are you saying we should trade Booker for a more mature star player?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
damn, i said "yes" a day too late

i give him credit for wanting to the be the man when we need one, but:
* he's our 10th best 3pt shooter
* not a great shooter in crunch time
* he's one of our weakest defenders
* not what i'd call a smart player (especially when frustrated)
* not a team leader

i still like him. he's a great asset,
but he shouldn't be our franchise player

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
my main concern is that we can't win in the playoffs with Booker-ball mentality in crunch time. Jordan learned to trust his teammates. We had a championship crushed by his pass with seconds to go. Book does trust his mates most of the game. But he and Monty need to mix things up late in the 4th if we want to advance in the playoffs.

have a few plays to free up CP3 for a big shot, for starters

there's a number of players in the playoffs you know will get the ball in the final minute or two, and you still can't stop them. Book can do it, occasionally. but he's just not that consistent

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my main concern is that we can't win in the playoffs with Booker-ball mentality in crunch time. Jordan learned to trust his teammates. We had a championship crushed by his pass with seconds to go. Book does trust his mates most of the game. But he and Monty need to mix things up late in the 4th if we want to advance in the playoffs.

have a few plays to free up CP3 for a big shot, for starters

there's a number of players in the playoffs you know will get the ball in the final minute or two, and you still can't stop them. Book can do it, occasionally. but he's just not that consistent

I agree with all this. Suns need to have other options besides Booker at crunch time. Keep the opponent guessing. One of the issues is Booker is one of the few players that can create his own shot at the end of games. Of course if the opponent is keying on Booker, this leaves other players open.

Also Monty needs to look at his two for one strategy at the end of quarters to get an extra possession if it means Booker forcing up bad shots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with all this. Suns need to have other options besides Booker at crunch time. Keep the opponent guessing. One of the issues is Booker is one of the few players that can create his own shot at the end of games. Of course if the opponent is keying on Booker, this leaves other players open.

Also Monty needs to look at his two for one strategy at the end of quarters to get an extra possession if it means Booker forcing up bad shots.

Book also flat out has to be better in the clutch than he has been lately. He’s shooting something like 39% in the fourth and only 30% in “clutch” time under 5 minutes left in the game for the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book also flat out has to be better in the clutch than he has been lately. He’s shooting something like 39% in the fourth and only 30% in “clutch” time under 5 minutes left in the game for the season.

It seems like once Booker has made up his mind to go on a play he never changes his mind. In the Raptors game it was apparent he was not having an "A" game. Some stars can turn it on at crunch time when they are having a lesser game. Maybe Booker is not one of them.

Sometimes I think he feels he has to produce because he is a star. He needs to learn there are times to defer much like Chris Paul when the shot is not there.

Hopefully it's a learning process.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think Monty worries about Book's ego. i would, if i was the coach.
case in point.
CP3 is shooting free throws much better than Book this season.
but isn't Booker still taking the technical shots when they're both on the floor?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like once Booker has made up his mind to go on a play he never changes his mind. In the Raptors game it was apparent he was not having an "A" game. Some stars can turn it on at crunch time when they are having a lesser game. Maybe Booker is not one of them.

Sometimes I think he feels he has to produce because he is a star. He needs to learn there are times to defer much like Chris Paul when the shot is not there.

Hopefully it's a learning process.

Booker has turned it on late many times in his career although not so much lately. I do think he feels it's his job to turn it on in crunch time and that hurts us occasionally but I don't believe it's ego, just experience.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker has turned it on late many times in his career although not so much lately. I do think he feels it's his job to turn it on in crunch time and that hurts us occasionally but I don't believe it's ego, just experience.

Agree. I don't think it's ego either. Maybe more of a felt responsibility to live up to his identity as a star and perceived obligation to the team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it’s both. I think there’s no denying books got a big ego. Not saying he’s arrogant or a jerk, but I’ll bet that ego is plenty ginormous. Plus there aren’t many options for players that can create for themselves.