JJ Watt signs with AZ

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Steve Keim press conference? it’s really creepy the way he keep smiling for no reason... Almost like he either just had his teeth whitened or Michael Bidwill told him he HAS to smile.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I recall a game he had a cast on one hand. He basically, threw the offensive linemen out of his way with one hand and sacked the QB. Just brute force.

He and LT were two of the best I ever saw play. Reggie was just different. Sitting in front of his locker after the game, helmet in hands: "All glory to God man. It's only through his divine grace I'm able to club these mofos into submission. He allows me to wreck this league, praise God," and be totally serious about it. :D:D:D

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The only possible way I can see Reddick staying is if they give him a long term deal. Something like 4 years. That's structured in such a way that it's heavily back loaded.

But I don't know why he would want to. His snap count is obviously going to be way down to CJ back and Watt signing and he can go elsewhere and likely start.
I don’t under stand Reddick would be OLB opposite of Jones. Watt is Dline. I’d love Reddick back he is athletic and fast. Same for Simmons

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is encouraging

i suppose it would have been easy to say " with the state of the cap, we are done now"

The impression I got from the press conference is they are planning to spend every last cent they can this year. Not sure if that is a good idea or not, but Keim seems to be a big believer in this take advantage of your rookie Quarterback contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ lines up across the D-line - D-end one moment, 3-technique the next.

Your earlier breakdown of snaps, etc made little sense, dude.

Since 2015 Watts has played the vast, vast majority of his snaps at Edge. He will sometimes move inside on 1st down in a 2 man front and play LDE.

Even before 2015 the vast majority of his snaps were at Edge. 82% to be precise. And it's risen since then.

Here's where he played in 2020.

702 snaps as the left edge defender, 134 as the right edge defender, 90 snaps at left end in a 3 man front with an OLB outside him, 32 snaps at right end with an OLB outside him, and 28 snaps combined as a defensive tackle/nose tackle.

That's 84% on the Edge.

There's no way that the Cards are paying Watt $14m per with a 10 sack bonus to play inside. He's going to play 80%+ of his snaps on the Edge opposite CJ and all that would be left for Reddick is scraps.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes he is. The only question is how much.

Do I have to translate posts now? Yes, he will play a little inside as he has always done. But he will play 80%+ outside, as he has always done.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do I have to translate posts now? Yes, he will play a little inside as he has always done. But he will play 80%+ outside, as he has always done.
Lolololol. You should probably spend some time reading up on the basics of the sport before you go around telling people nonsense. Have you ever watched football lol? There may be a tiny sub package somewhere where he lines up at OLB but the rest of the time, he’s playing 3-4 DE.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since 2015 Watts has played the vast, vast majority of his snaps at Edge. He will sometimes move inside on 1st down in a 2 man front and play LDE.

Even before 2015 the vast majority of his snaps were at Edge. 82% to be precise. And it's risen since then.

Here's where he played in 2020.

702 snaps as the left edge defender, 134 as the right edge defender, 90 snaps at left end in a 3 man front with an OLB outside him, 32 snaps at right end with an OLB outside him, and 28 snaps combined as a defensive tackle/nose tackle.

That's 84% on the Edge.

There's no way that the Cards are paying Watt $14m per with a 10 sack bonus to play inside. He's going to play 80%+ of his snaps on the Edge opposite CJ and all that would be left for Reddick is scraps.

You do realize that Hasson and Chandler are outside linebackers in our 3-4 hybrid system, right?

Whether JJ lines up at either D-end positions or shades inside is irrelevant to the number of snaps Hasson takes if he's the starting OLB across from C-J.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do realize that Hasson and Chandler are outside linebackers in our 3-4 hybrid system, right?

Whether JJ lines up at either D-end positions or shades inside is irrelevant to the number of snaps Hasson takes if he's the starting OLB across from C-J.

Lolololol. You should probably spend some time reading up on the basics of the sport before you go around telling people nonsense. Have you ever watched football lol? There may be a tiny sub package somewhere where he lines up at OLB but the rest of the time, he’s playing 3-4 DE.

You do realize we ONLY play a 3 man front on 1st down right?

You do realize the Texans also play a 3-4 base yet he still played 84% of snaps at Edge?

Now having realized that go back and read what I wrote. Then tell me how you pay Reddick $12m+ a year to play the role Brennan Scarlett played for the Texans in the 51% of snaps he got and why the Cards would pay that or why Reddick would do it.

What the Texans did, because they had Watt rushing from LDE was inevitably have Scarlett playing contain or coverage at SAM LB, rather than rushing. Which considering they have him under contract already seems like a role suited to Kennard.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t under stand Reddick would be OLB opposite of Jones. Watt is Dline. I’d love Reddick back he is athletic and fast. Same for Simmons

No, he isn't. Watt played 84% of snaps at Edge last year. As he has done throughout most of his career. He plays inside at DE on 1st down only.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes he is. The only question is how much.
Watt loves playing the 4 technique. He came here because Vance is willing to use him in that way. He may be moved around a bit in some sub packages, but Watt is going to be an interior player with us.

4T in base.

3T in even fronts.

They will likely use Phillips or Fotu at a 1 or 1-I technique at the opposite tackle spot.

CJ----JW---------JP-----------HR
--OT----OG----C----OG----OT

This would be my guess in even fronts. It almost ensures that you can't double either Jones or Watt. It gives them both an opportunity to use an inside move which they both have. Offers the ability for a T/E stunt. Puts a mammoth of a man between the opposite OG and C which would be tough for either to single block. Enables Reddick to use a speed rush outside which is his advantage.

Sorry, a coupe edits used here for formatting

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do realize we ONLY play a 3 man front on 1st down right?

You do realize the Texans also play a 3-4 base yet he still played 84% of snaps at Edge?

Now having realized that go back and read what I wrote. Then tell me how you pay Reddick $12m+ a year to play the role Brennan Scarlett played for the Texans in the 51% of snaps he got and why the Cards would pay that or why Reddick would do it.

What the Texans did, because they had Watt rushing from LDE was inevitably have Scarlett playing contain or coverage at SAM LB, rather than rushing. Which considering they have him under contract already seems like a role suited to Kennard.

Keep moving the goalpost and you'll eventually get the ball over the line.

There is nothing precluding Hasson starting at OLB and rushing, containing or covering.

And for the umpteenth time, JJ's role is irrelevant to Hasson's in our 3-4 hybrid "D" beyond his talent creating opportunities for HR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep moving the goalpost and you'll eventually get the ball over the line.

There is nothing precluding Hasson starting at OLB and rushing, containing or covering.

And for the umpteenth time, JJ's role is irrelevant to Hasson's in our 3-4 hybrid "D" beyond his talent creating opportunities for HR.

Keep moving the goalpost?!

It's exactly what I've been saying all along.

So paying JJ Watt $14m+ a year to play EDGE which is where he plays most of his snaps doesn't effect Reddick in any way? Sure.

If you think they are paying him that money to play inside full time I have a bridge you can buy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watt loves playing the 4 technique. He came here because Vance is willing to use him in that way. He may be moved around a bit in some sub packages, but Watt is going to be an interior player with us.

4T in base.

3T in even fronts.

They will likely use Phillips or Fotu at a 1 or 1-I technique at the opposite tackle spot.

CJ----JW---------JP-----------HR
--OT----OG----C----OG----OT

This would be my guess in even fronts. It almost ensures that you can't double either Jones or Watt. It gives them both an opportunity to use an inside move which they both have. Offers the ability for a T/E stunt. Puts a mammoth of a man between the opposite OG and C which would be tough for either to single block. Enables Reddick to use a speed rush outside which is his advantage.

Sorry, a coupe edits used here for formatting

No way I see this happening. Firstly Watt prefers playing off the left side. He's played by far the most snaps there. He isn't lining up next to CJ full time.

Second, they didn't pay Watt $28m to play a very specific role inside when they don't have and may not ever have Reddick signed to play outside.

Last but not least, I don't see them making a splash signing like this to say to the guy "Go do this different role you rarely do full time". They are paying him to do what he has always done and that's play LDE in base and sub packages.

Every person here would be all over Keim and Joseph if they played Watt inside like this and and he went the first couple of the games of the season without a sack.

I don't want to get into an argument over it, neither of us know. But I'd be shocked. Let's wait and see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave