JJ Watt signs with AZ

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't retire any numbers, but would consider some numbers special and just few can earn to wear it based on great performances, professionalism and commitment
I think this is the best way to honor some legends of the franchise history

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Watt: I’m gonna work my ass off every single day to make you proud

J.J. Watt has landed in Arizona.

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill picked up Watt and Watt’s wife, Kealia Ohai Watt, in Bidwill’s private plane. The team posted video of the Scottsdale, Arizona, landing of the team’s newest player.

The defensive end spoke briefly after his arrival in his new home.

I’m very excited,” Watt said. “My wife and I are very excited to be here. Mr. Bidwill, Steve [Keim], everybody here, has been unbelievable so far, and I’m just excited to get started. I’m very excited to get started, get to work, get to know the people of Arizona and to go to work to try to win a championship.

“The one thing I can promise you is I’m gonna work my ass off every single day to make you proud. Very proud to be part of the Bird Gang and the Red Sea. So let’s get started.”

Watt broke his own news Monday morning, tweeting a photo of him working out in a Cardinals shirt.

He reportedly is signing a two-year, $31 million contract with $23 million guaranteed.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watt is 32, Same age as Michael Strahan when he recorded 18 sacks
Yep. He's actually 31 & will turn 32 in a few weeks (3/22). He's not washed up by any means & is a tremendous leader, which is something this team lacks more than anything else. Even our coaching staff lacks a demonstrative voice. Hell, if I were Michael, I would already be talking in his ear about a future in coaching once he retires.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd like to see the response here if Watt had signed with SF or the Rams. I'm guessing it would be alot more positive for those teams.

TB just showed how important pressure is on the QB. Watt not only made the Dline better, he made the DB's better too.

People want to focus on the 5 sacks but look at the other stats of how much he was double teamed(teams don't double washed up players), his win%, and other advanced stats.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I like the acquisition. Watt is a real leader. With a due respect to Budda Baker, J.J.'s leadership should make a significant difference on and off the field. There were too many penalties and too little discipline last season on both sides of the ball. J.J.'s contribution could be a difference maker, in work ethic, advice to younger players, communicating a gung ho spirit and on the field with performance. There was more than one game last season where the team wasn't ready to play. J.J. won't let that happen IMO.

This is obviously a short-term move as opposed to a longer term signing of Reddick. No disrespect to Reddick but he had three great games in a contract year. Love to have him back but not at $15 million a year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I am not seeing any issue with the two statements.

If Colts, Browns, Titans offered $23.5 or $24 million, then they offered more than the Cardinals.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not seeing any issue with the two statements.

If Colts, Browns, Titans offered $23.5 or $24 million, then they offered more than the Cardinals.

That is not what he is saying. He is saying total they were offering was 24 million, whereas the Cards gave him 31, and that those teams were not going to guarantee all 24 million.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares?

It's a reasonable contract for a player who was the most double teamed player in the NFL last year, but was still 15th in pass rush win rate.

I heard this a couple of times already, but I thought that the most double teamed player was Donald?? It came up when TJ was complaining for not winning DPOY.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I like the acquisition. Watt is a real leader. With a due respect to Budda Baker, J.J.'s leadership should make a significant difference on and off the field. There were too many penalties and too little discipline last season on both sides of the ball. J.J.'s contribution could be a difference maker, in work ethic, advice to younger players, communicating a gung ho spirit and on the field with performance. There was more than one game last season where the team wasn't ready to play. J.J. won't let that happen IMO.

This is obviously a short-term move as opposed to a longer term signing of Reddick. No disrespect to Reddick but he had three great games in a contract year. Love to have him back but not at $15 million a year.
I believe some of our discipline issues on defense last year stem from Chandler Jones being injured and Patrick Peterson being the most vocal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard this a couple of times already, but I thought that the most double teamed player was Donald?? It came up when TJ was complaining for not winning DPOY.

They are recorded separately. Donald falls under DT stats. Watt under Edge.

If you combined them then Donald is top for sure. Watt doubled on about 31% of plays.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point an organization has to force the issue. This may work or it may not, but either way, I would rather go down swinging with a QB on a rookie contract than squandering the savings.

this post makes it seem like there were going to be literally no other options than JJ Watt out there in FA despite you repeatedly saying it’s a great class for pass rushers. If this team was going to spend that big in a cap strapped year... forget it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So reports were as many as 12 teams were talking to JJ, and that the highest offer he'd gotten was in the 15-16 million per year. He got 2 years 31 million from us so even if we were the highest offer, unless all the other offers were WAY lower it's not like we were bidding against ourselves here.

Rumors we're going to extend Chandler Jones to free up more capspace to keep Reddick are interesting.

Seems like as others said we looked at FA and the draft and said we're not likely going to be able to land enough help at CB, draft would likely require moving up, not clear we can do it in FA. So we decided to go all in on the pass rush to help the DB's we have and the one(s) we draft

I think it's more likely Reddick and PP21 are gone...Free up money to go after another WR in FA (Curtis Samuel or JuJu, who'd be an awesome #2) and draft heavy on CB, LB and OL and RB.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm both very excited and confused with this move. That's a lot of money, but I'm happy to have a guy with his leadership on the team. I allowed myself to dream about it a little when DHop posted that IG post earlier. I'm going to err on the side of positivity here, and hope he kills it.

It's shouldn't be too confusing (other than possible injury issue)...Watt can play end, opposite CJ and he can also play inside, right next to CJ...Teams won't be able to double team both of them. It can create serious mismatches, similar to Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose