JJ Watt signs with AZ

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well is he better then Dwight Freeney when he played here?? Even he made made some game-ending sacks for us. I remember he was put in for passing downs and wasn’t an all-down DE at that time.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Well, I know we will all be rooting for him, but I have a couple of thoughts.

One being, comparing a big name player's contract to what it would have cost you to simply draft the top player at that position and get a 21 year old and have him for 5 years on a rookie contract. Then have all that money to upgrade lesser priced positions. The main caveat being you should pretty much know what you are paying for as opposed to if the rookie will be a bust or not.

The second being, how many positions could you upgrade through FA for the same amount of money, thus freeing up those draft picks you would have had to use on those same positions, minus the top pick you used to draft the player you chose in place of signing that big name player.

I always seem to favor using your cap money to upgrade as many positions of need that you can. Use your draft picks to fill the positions which would normally cost you the most money in FA signings. That way you get more talent spread throughout your team, as well as making it easier to replace more downed players who aren't so dang expensive.

I suppose I am just more of a practical frugal spending person, rather than a big splash sort of guy.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
If he can make it 10 games then it's worth it I suppose, but the biggest thing for me is that he brings his his intensity and leadership to a team that really doesn't have any and I'm including KK in that, I'm echoing Cheese on this point , we really need that leadership right now

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

What are people really mad at? $2 million to $4 million dollars?

It's silly

I don't think Watt is overpaid. He was always getting paid this money, although the G money is high.

My issue was I don't think its the right move for this team, but I'm just going to enjoy it and hope for the best.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We could let Reddick walk, re-sign Golden and draft Ojulari or Oweh or Rousseau in round 1. As long as we sign Corey Linsley, Brandon Scherff or Taylor Moton in FA, we are still good. Building the lines.
While I agree that’s what we should do, I highly doubt we sign any of those guys. Not very keimy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gotta give it up for SK. Drafting is not a strong point, but he’s quite good with FA signings. And Watt may be somewhat of a risk, but I have to believe that a motivated Watt should be a force. Plus, the guy’s a HOFer as regards community outreach. I see this as all positive.
Uh other than like two keim time old man signings way back when what big hits has he had in the free agent market?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh other than like two keim time old man signings way back when what big hits has he had in the free agent market?

obviously subjective based on opinions but I’d say the following were good signings and impactful in an overall positive way... Age is really irrelevant.

1. Dwight Freeney
2. John Abraham
3. Mike Iupati
4. Corey Peters
5. Andy Lee
6. Jordan Hicks(not perfect and slow in coverage but he is a good player)
7. Karlos Dansby
8. Antoine Bethea
9. Jared Veldheer
10. Antonio Cromartie
11. Lorenzo Alexander

and there may be a couple I’m missing

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
obviously subjective based on opinions but I’d say the following were good signings and impactful in an overall positive way... Age is really irrelevant.

1. Dwight Freeney
2. John Abraham
3. Mike Iupati
4. Corey Peters
5. Andy Lee
6. Jordan Hicks(not perfect and slow in coverage but he is a good player)
7. Karlos Dansby
8. Antoine Bethea
9. Jared Veldheer
10. Antonio Cromartie
11. Lorenzo Alexander
lol cmon Shane.

old guy prove it deals that didn’t last more than a year:
Cromartie
Abraham
Freeney
Dansby
Bethea

special teamer and punter?!?
Lorenzo
Lee

really comes down to:
IUpati - good but not great signing
Veldheer - very good signing
Peters - solid but unspectacular signing
Hicks - average signing

in comparison to his drafting this is I suppose okay. But there’s not a pro bowler among them. In how many years?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be crazy if instead of JJ teaming up with his brothers in Pittsburgh, TJ Watt winds up joining his brother JJ in Arizona in the future?

he's in the option year of his rookie deal and reportedly one of the reasons they were not a serious contender for JJ is they have so much money to deal with already and are going to have trouble keeping players.

It'll never happen but imagine a world where TJ Watt is a FA next year and wants to join his brother in Arizona.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
my sadness could turn to joy if they bring back Reddick. But I’m super dubious there. Losing that youth AND sorely needed speed on this defense will hurt more than people expect, IMO.
That I agree with

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well is he better then Dwight Freeney when he played here?? Even he made made some game-ending sacks for us. I remember he was put in for passing downs and wasn’t an all-down DE at that time.

Freeney cost 1 million dollars. Not 15 million.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol cmon Shane.

old guy prove it deals that didn’t last more than a year:
Cromartie
Abraham
Freeney
Dansby
Bethea

special teamer and punter?!?
Lorenzo
Lee

really comes down to:
IUpati - good but not great signing
Veldheer - very good signing
Peters - solid but unspectacular signing
Hicks - average signing

in comparison to his drafting this is I suppose okay. But there’s not a pro bowler among them. In how many years?

ok now your moving the goalposts... we’re they good and successful while here? 1 year? 2 years. Doesn’t matter success is success. Abraham in his one year was IMO worthy of a PB. But in the end PBs don’t matter.

Lorenzo Neal became much more then just a STer for us he accumulated 8 sacks the year we went to the NFC champ game and was a solid reason for the success of the team that year as a situational pass rusher as well.

Do you not value Andy Lees contributions to the team? I’m confused on what you consider good then.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of moving the goalposts, if Zane is the kicker next year we may have to do that to make sure the FG's go through.

Do the Texans have a good kicker we can steal?

how did I forget it was Fairbairn? Not a strong enough leg, pretty accurate but can't make the 55 yarder to win it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok now your moving the goalposts... we’re they good and successful while here? 1 year? 2 years. Doesn’t matter success is success. Abraham in his one year was IMO worthy of a PB. But in the end PBs don’t matter.

Lorenzo Neal became much more then just a STer for us he accumulated 8 sacks the year we went to the NFC champ game and was a solid reason for the success of the team that year as a situational pass rusher as well.

Do you not value Andy Lees contributions to the team? I’m confused on what you consider good then.

Shane... WTF are you talking about? First, Lorenzo Neal was never on this team. Lorenzo Alexander was the ST ace who’s greatest season for us produced... 1 sack. His other season produced... O SACKS. He almost NEVER saw actual snaps on D nor was he in any way shape or form a consistent part of that NFC title game defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexLo99.htm

one season he had... 13 total tackles and the other had a whopping FOUR.

and actually Shane, YOU moved the goalposts. Ouchie and Chopper were talking about Keim going out and signing BIG TIME BIG MONEY FAs. Those were the guys in Choppers post that Ouchie said we never sign those type of bank busters. Which we very very rarely do.

you listed a bunch of one year prove me guys who ENDED UP being productive for a season. But that’s a totally different type of FA then the big money Guards and Defensive Players Chopper was talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA