Suns @ Nuggets Friday game thread 1-1-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what was the deal with Saric tonight? Is he actually injured or is it precautionary. This team is better when Saric plays.

Here are a couple of tweets that best explain the Suns precautionary strategy of playing Saric.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe get in jokic’s face so he can’t (a) shoot an uncontested three; or (b) pick apart our defense with his passing. Ayton is sitting in no man’s land making himself useless on the court.

This was an issue. It’s a coaching issue, however, not Ayton’s. Monty played the same drop 2-2 coverages against Utah and it worked really well and slowing down perimeter shooting. Only problem is Nico is not Rudy.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever Ayton gets the ball, instead of smoothly
going for a shot or a pass, he hesitates. Then tries to initiate a play.

That indicates a low basketball IQ. which benefits the defense.

He is scoring tonight with Jokic out most of the game in foul trouble.

It really seems as if he has had a lot of coaches telling him DON’T RUSH, and he tends to feel much more comfortable getting his bearings. He needs to be allowed to play fast and make mistakes. He has not played on a Suns team good enough where he could do so. Until now.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m good with sitting him down. He’s been a turnover machine this year. Just some real head scratching plays.

I’m not positive the Suns wouldn’t improve by moving CamJohnson to the starting lineup in lieu of Booker. Let Booker be the microwave scorer off the bench. Dead serious.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was checking gamecast throughout the flight and they were up 16 in the 3rd qtr then I kept seeing ‘Isaiah Hartenstein makes 2pt shot then Isaiah Hartenstein makes 3pt shot’ like who the F is this guy? At the end of the day you’d almost rather them blow a big lead but hang on for growth/experience. We’ve got two guys not afraid of the big moment.

On another note it’s good to see Jamal Murray once again turning into Step Curry vs the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was checking gamecast throughout the flight and they were up 16 in the 3rd qtr then I kept seeing ‘Isaiah Hartenstein makes 2pt shot then Isaiah Hartenstein makes 3pt shot’ like who the F is this guy? At the end of the day you’d almost rather them blow a big lead but hang on for growth/experience. We’ve got two guys not afraid of the big moment.

On another note it’s good to see Jamal Murray once again turning into Step Curry vs the Suns.

I was asking myself the same question. He was the 43rd pick in the 2017 draft by the Rockets. They waived him and he was signed by the Nuggets in 2020.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harteis01.html

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m not positive the Suns wouldn’t improve by moving CamJohnson to the starting lineup in lieu of Booker. Let Booker be the microwave scorer off the bench. Dead serious.
Seems like a dead stupid thing to do on a team that's playing this well. The team should avoid anything at this point that could disrupt team chemistry and benching Booker would be a real quick way to do just that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the challenge of the foul called on Mikal Bridges.

It sounds like this was on the advice of Chris Paul.

From AP news:

With Phoenix leading 102-100 with around 30 seconds remaining, Mikal Bridges was called for a foul that would've sent Gary Harris to the line. But on the advice of Paul, Williams decided to challenge the play. Replays appeared to show Bridges sliding underneath Harris near the basket — and with no contact — as Harris lost the ball.

"Usually, fouls aren't overturned," Williams explained. "But he's like, ‘Coach, why not?' ... That's how it happened. He's an asset to our team in many ways."

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401267236

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a move like that is far more likely to tear this team apart than it is to improve our play. You might consider a drastic move such as this when you're desperate, not when you're leading the league.

Let him get his legs as he gets used to playing defense on every possession, don't make the kind of move that would almost surely end in him demanding a trade. And if he didn't demand the trade, we'd probably move him anyway because you don't pay superstar money to a 6th man.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No way the Suns move Devin Booker to the bench. He is an All-Star and the heart of the team. I can't think of anything that would more quickly destroy the team.

Monty has pushed point Booker. Maybe less pressure on Booker to distribute might help.

The way this team is cooking, I don't want to touch anything though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seems like a dead stupid thing to do on a team that's playing this well. The team should avoid anything at this point that could disrupt team chemistry and benching Booker would be a real quick way to do just that.

Yeah, probably. I think it’s time to at least plant some seeds regarding the Booker is untouchable shibboleth; if Paul didn’t clutch out two wins against Dallas and Nuggets and we are 3-3 perhaps the sentiment wouldn’t be so forgiving.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I fully expect Booker to play better, simply because it’s hard to imagine him playing worse, but if he doesn’t improve a lot then he shouldn’t be untouchable because of his contract lmao. The coach should play the best players; losing cultures and teams get stuck on contracts over actual play when determining playing time.

The fact we are winning despite Booker’s play isn’t a defense of him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably. I think it’s time to at least plant some seeds regarding the Booker is untouchable shibboleth; if Paul didn’t clutch out two wins against Dallas and Nuggets and we are 3-3 perhaps the sentiment wouldn’t be so forgiving.

Devin Booker is as untouchable as it gets for the Suns.

The issue with Booker is turnovers. He had 8 last night and his assist to turnover ratio so far this season is 3.8 to 5.8. In past seasons it is a positive so this should improve.

The Suns were a very tired team last night. I don't think we should push the panic button on point Booker just yet. And if Monty wants to lessen the load on Booker, this is something that can be corrected. From what I have read, it's Monty who has been pushing Booker to be more of a distributor.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
6 games in and Booker is now Vinny Johnson?

Meanwhile Ayton is a DPOY candidate?

I just can't even comprehend anyone being dead serious about any of that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No way the Suns move Devin Booker to the bench. He is an All-Star and the heart of the team. I can't think of anything that would more quickly destroy the team.

Monty has pushed point Booker. Maybe less pressure on Booker to distribute might help.

The way this team is cooking, I don't want to touch anything though.
Hell..... Booker was our dagger in Utah..... And did a big amount (along with CP3) in Denver? WTH man. That take is downright nutso

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell..... Booker was our dagger in Utah..... And did a big amount (along with CP3) in Denver? WTH man. That take is downright nutso

Devin Booker has been huge for the Suns. I do not see the need to rock the boat on anything the Suns are doing.

Suns have the best record in the Western Conference and the league so need to put a winning team under a microscope.

We need to keep this chemistry.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker’s Utah dagger was a 3 with a 7pt lead. I’ll grant he hit the clutch shot against Dallas, but we are very obviously 5-1 despite him not because of him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Booker’s Utah dagger was a 3 with a 7pt lead. I’ll grant he hit the clutch shot against Dallas, but we are very obviously 5-1 despite him not because of him.
My memory remembers 5 straight points in the closing 90 seconds. With the 3pt shot as the dagger. Am I mis-remembering? I may be..... it was a hazy night for me. haha

Edit: https://arizonasports.com/story/249...-defense-again-booker-closes-up-shop-vs-jazz/

Here is the quote:
Turnovers got the Suns in trouble late after leading by 16 with 4:22 to go, but Booker scored seven points in two minutes to put the game out of reach, as he did often in the bubble.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It kind of goes both ways. Utah likely doesn't make the game so close without Bookers sloppy play, but they probably also come all the way back if Booker doesn't score 7 points in 2 minutes late in that 4th quarter.

Booker also iced the game against Dallas with a late dagger. Denver likely doesn't come back last night if not for Booker's sloppy 4th quarter play, but he somewhat made up for it by draining that 3 to put us up 4 with 1:37 left in the game.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker has hit some high leverage shots, which is really important (although less so when we have a better clutch option in most coverages in CP3).

He’s also sporting an 11per and negative WS. He’s been really bad overall. Worse than his rookie year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Booker has hit some high leverage shots, which is really important (although less so when we have a better clutch option in most coverages in CP3).

He’s also sporting an 11per and negative WS. He’s been really bad overall. Worse than his rookie year.
He is getting used to a new PG with basically zero preseason.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt personally.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Those numbers are almost completely because of his turnovers. This is by far the worst he has ever been turning the ball over in his career and because of that I don't expect it to last.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard