Jalen Smith

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I can't find the article that went into this but that double hitch in that video was Mikal specifically slowing it down and working on not bringing the ball left to right on the gather. If you look at his shot now his gather is mostly vertical and has no hitch.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't find the article that went into this but that double hitch in that video was Mikal specifically slowing it down and working on not bringing the ball left to right on the gather. If you look at his shot now his gather is mostly vertical and has no hitch.
That's what I remember Mikal was just practicing. People blew it out of contexts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching Smith. He plays like he belongs. Looks focused on the game and doesn’t seem lost or seem like he trying to show off his skills or athleticism. That’s a good sign for a rookie.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not seeing what everyone else is quite yet. What timing that we get Hallucinating for two games in a row.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not seeing what everyone else is quite yet. What timing that we get Hallucinating for two games in a row.
I’m not seeing it yet either. I’m not saying he looks bad, but don’t think I’ve seen much to be excited about yet either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant *Halliburton, damn autocorrect.

I figured out who you meant right away but I honestly thought it was a new nickname for him and I was trying to make it fit. And failing. The only thing I could come up with was that it was an indictment of all those teams, scouts and fans that thought passing on him was a good thing. I never considered the simple possibility that it was an autocorrect, duh.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I figured out who you meant right away but I honestly thought it was a new nickname for him and I was trying to make it fit. And failing. The only thing I could come up with was that it was an indictment of all those teams, scouts and fans that thought passing on him was a good thing. I never considered the simple possibility that it was an autocorrect, duh.

Thought I was having visuals when Silver announced Jalen Smith’s name. I like his aggression and length but I didn’t see what all the fuss was about the other night. He’s in a tough spot having to be the first big off the bench day one.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I was having visuals when Silver announced Jalen Smith’s name. I like his aggression and length but I didn’t see what all the fuss was about the other night. He’s in a tough spot having to be the first big off the bench day one.
He’s fortunate IMO. Saric is out. Kaminsky is somewhat capable sometimes, then Ayton and Jones have been in foul trouble.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He’s fortunate IMO. Saric is out. Kaminsky is somewhat capable sometimes, then Ayton and Jones have been in foul trouble.
This is the NBA. You take advantage of every opportunity that comes along. And for Smith, he proved to not be useless. And that’s all you want form an untested rookie in his first game ever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's really raw but I like his effort and he's shown a few NBA skills already. Hopefully though we won't be shorthanded enough to have to play him very much this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's really raw but I like his effort and he's shown a few NBA skills already. Hopefully though we won't be shorthanded enough to have to play him very much this season.

I agree with this. Jalen is smart and skilled but it's going to take time for his body to develop. If he were stronger I could see a more progressive development during the season much like Cam Johnson. Hopefully he is not forced into this situation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like what I've seen from Jalen so far. He's shown enough to warrant a rotation spot so far. Got to give James Jones credit, it looks like he drafted another quality player who can contribute right away and has room to grow into something special.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They brought up a good point on the timeline podcast.

this is a good team that’s 14 guys deep. Raw rookies shouldn’t be getting minutes we are trying to win every game possible and we are used to being horrible and just throwing guys out there and not developing them.

he’s not going to get minutes on this roster he’s not ready let him go down to the G League and get his NBA body and minutes there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My questions about Jalen mainly revolve around how much he can develop his body. He has skills.

If his frame can add enough extra weight and muscle to compete, I think he can play in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My questions about Jalen mainly revolve around how much he can develop his body. He has skills.

If his frame can add enough extra weight and muscle to compete, I think he can play in the NBA.

I have high hopes for him, I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise. But he's not ready for prime time just yet and fortunately, we don't need to throw him to the wolves either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have high hopes for him, I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise. But he's not ready for prime time just yet and fortunately, we don't need to throw him to the wolves either.

I didn't like to see Jalen sitting on the bench with the Suns or when he did play, standing in the corner shooting threes. He needs to play. Hopefully he gets that in the G-League.

I'd like to see the Suns work with him on strength and conditioning. He needs to get stronger. I like his skill set.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Jalen Smith develop as a player. He could always shoot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I don't think we'll ever see him get enough game action to develop.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This kid is a long way away from contributing. Best we all recognize that and maintain some patience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave