Jalen Smith

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haliburton sure would of looked good in a Suns uniform.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs at least one full season (and probably more) playing every day in the G League but IMO he's not going to get what he needs if we ship him to someone else's G League team. That's why I mentioned earlier that we might trade him or release him.

Releasing him won't happen unless we find a couple of players to add/acquire that can actually fill an on-court role which isn't likely. I think he'll have a place in the NBA but I doubt it will be with us.

I've already started a thread titled "Trade ideas and rumors for Suns" because there are some trade rumors floating around involving Jalen Smith.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted to give Stix the benefit of the doubt. He's had a year to watch games and learn from a championship team.

I'm sure he was shooting like crazy along with Carter after games. You'd think he'd show a marked improvement during the summer league but it doesn't look like it.

He's had time to play against the starters too. I just dont see IT from him, i think he's a career deep bench player but thats it. I sure wish he'd get vision correction too, those goggles...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one should be surprised by this. We've all suggested trades involving Stix to improve the team in various ways. JJ gauging his value is what a quality GM does.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think gauging interest is also in line with us being ready to win now since acquiring Chris Paul. The time line changed on this pick.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, that doesn’t inspire confidence.
Not at all. That also means fans speculating Jalen can step up is not shared by the organization. Sounds like the Suns are using his "young potential" as trade bait to try and land a backup PF.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not at all. That also means fans speculating Jalen can step up is not shared by the organization. Sounds like the Suns are using his "young potential" as trade bait to try and land a backup PF.
All it means is that they are ready to win now and aren’t sure Jalen is ready to contribute to that right now. That doesn’t mean they don’t think he can reach a point where he is contributing, but he just isn’t there YET.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith coming up in trade talks isn't surprising. We are trying to add bench depth and he is the only asset we have that isn't already a legit contributor to the team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All it means is that they are ready to win now and aren’t sure Jalen is ready to contribute to that right now. That doesn’t mean they don’t think he can reach a point where he is contributing, but he just isn’t there YET.
I think we are saying the same thing. Some felt this could be the year for him to step up and contribute. If that was the case the Suns would have him pencilled in and his name wouldn’t be out there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for this Jalen Smith. If anyone finds him, turn his game loose!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm looking for this Jalen Smith. If anyone finds him, turn his game loose!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

also 5 star McDonalds all American in high school

the talent in there we all know his body wasn’t ready when he was drafted I don’t get all the hate. Whatever happened to drafting a guy then developing him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also 5 star McDonalds all American in high school

the talent in there we all know his body wasn’t ready when he was drafted I don’t get all the hate. Whatever happened to drafting a guy then developing him.

IMO, the Suns drafted Stix because they want him to play power forward where his more natural position is center. Of course they already have a starting center in Ayton.

I think this is why we are seeing a much different player in the NBA than in college because Stix is playing out of position. If the experiment fails, the Suns will likely return him to center or seek a trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns drafted Stix because they want him to play power forward where his more natural position is center. Of course they already have a starting center in Ayton.

I think this is why we are seeing a much different player in the NBA than in college because Stix is playing out of position. If the experiment fails, the Suns will likely return him to center or seek a trade.

I don't think he's big enough to be a Center in the NBA full-time. In college he was often the biggest guy on the floor and his size allowed him to do what he wanted but now he'll be the 3rd or 4th biggest guy and he needs to learn to use his skills on instead of size to make an impact.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's big enough to be a Center in the NBA full-time. In college he was often the biggest guy on the floor and his size allowed him to do what he wanted but now he'll be the 3rd or 4th biggest guy and he needs to learn to use his skills on instead of size to make an impact.

I believe the Suns drafted Stix to be a power forward.

This is what the Suns have stressed since last season and in summer league. If Stix can't play power forward this really limits his options. I do believe Stix might be able to play small ball center but this is not why they drafted him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the Suns drafted Stix to be a power forward.

This is what the Suns have stressed since last season and in summer league. If Stix can't play power forward this really limits his options. I do believe Stix might be able to play small ball center but this is not why they drafted him.

I agree that he was drafted to play PF. I was only pointing out why he looks so different compared to his college play. He's having to adjust to a new position and I believe he's over thinking it. Hopefully he gets it together sooner than later.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We see this every draft. Transitioning to the NBA is tough even in your natural position. Guys who were dominant big men in college shrink in the NBA when faced with bigger, stronger, faster players. Not sure his position in the NBA is an issue but sure could be a factor.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We see this every draft. Transitioning to the NBA is tough even in your natural position. Guys who were dominant big men in college shrink in the NBA when faced with bigger, stronger, faster players. Not sure his position in the NBA is an issue but sure could be a factor.

Personally if I were the Suns and I don't know much about player development, I'd give Stix some minutes in training camp at center. If he plays better then we know it is position, not the NBA. He needs to build some confidence.

He is a hard worker and a high character person so I'd like to see him make it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally if I were the Suns and I don't know much about player development, I'd give Stix some minutes in training camp at center. If he plays better then we know it is position, not the NBA. He needs to build some confidence.

He is a hard worker and a high character person so I'd like to see him make it.
I would have to imagine the Suns have already done that. I mean, we see the team do that in the regular season in small stints and they practice a ton. I would be shocked if they hadn't. He needs to get bigger still and maybe minutes here and there would do that....build his confidence.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to imagine the Suns have already done that. I mean, we see the team do that in the regular season in small stints and they practice a ton. I would be shocked if they hadn't. He needs to get bigger still and maybe minutes here and there would do that....build his confidence.

Maybe the Suns have tried it but I haven't seen it. I don't think shooting corner threes are his thing unless it happens in the flow of the game. At this point, again may they have, I'd try to get him comfortable on the court and let everything flow from there.

I doubt if Stix can get much bigger because of his thin frame. He played bigger than life in college so it's hard to believe that has suddenly disappeared. At this point I'd try to work on his strengths and get away from what position he should play. As a side note, he is a pretty good ball handler.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns have tried it but I haven't seen it. I don't think shooting corner threes are his thing unless it happens in the flow of the game. At this point, again may they have, I'd try to get him comfortable on the court and let everything flow from there.

I doubt if Stix can get much bigger because of his thin frame. He played bigger than life in college so it's hard to believe that has suddenly disappeared. At this point I'd try to work on his strengths and get away from what position he should play. As a side note, he is a pretty good ball handler.
I have faith that the Suns coaching staff know what they are doing and are evaluating him correctly. If he deserved to be on the court based on what they see in practice he would be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have faith that the Suns coaching staff know what they are doing and are evaluating him correctly. If he deserved to be on the court based on what they see in practice he would be.

I think this is the problem. Stix has not showed enough to see regular minutes in their offensive scheme.

If he could it would solve a lot of problems.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He started at Center in the Summer League? I know you watched those games. He attacked inside early also. It wasn't until he couldn't get that going that he drifted to the corners more frequently.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome to see what stix did in slg!!! Hope he gets meaningful minutes and produces next season!! Another big for poff maybe....

Go suns!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He started at Center in the Summer League? I know you watched those games. He attacked inside early also. It wasn't until he couldn't get that going that he drifted to the corners more frequently.

Stix primarily played at power forward in summer league. There were times he attacked inside but for the most part he was looking to shoot threes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson