Gardeck injury

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean, The Menace is too easy, but it also fits. He must be so annoying to play against because he never stops.
Limited snaps probably helps that a lot. He comes in fresh and just gives it his all. He's Rudy with some actual ability.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny seeing P2 discussed so much in this Gardeck thread. The reason P2 gets so much grief is he's the anti Gardeck. All the talent, none of the effort.

Where Gardeck will fight through two 300lb linemen for a sliver of hope of getting to the QB while P2 will run into a block so he doesn't have to tackle (I've seen him have an angle on a RB and literally run behind a WR block so he didn't have to take the hit).

He used to get away with it when his coverage was elite. Now he clearly isnt fans don't have patience with him anymore.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just silly. You can't possibly have 18.5 sacks and not be a difference maker.

Yep we were able to get pressure with Jones because of his sheer ability, it forced teams to double him which freed up other guys. it also helped us in the run game we could play an "extra" run defender, I don't mean 12 guys on the field I mean in certain down and distances we could keep a run stuffing LB or DT on the field because Jones was such a good pass rusher if they passed, we still might get pressure.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he just shoots it up it'll be like a scene from North Dallas 40

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Funny seeing P2 discussed so much in this Gardeck thread. The reason P2 gets so much grief is he's the anti Gardeck. All the talent, none of the effort.

Where Gardeck will fight through two 300lb linemen for a sliver of hope of getting to the QB while P2 will run into a block so he doesn't have to tackle (I've seen him have an angle on a RB and literally run behind a WR block so he didn't have to take the hit).

He used to get away with it when his coverage was elite. Now he clearly isnt fans don't have patience with him anymore.
This is a bit disingenuous. Peterson gives plenty of effort, but he picks and chooses when to throw his body around because he has always needed to consider that his team is better with him on the field vs separating his shoulder tackling a 230 lb RB. Gardeck has to throw his body around regardless of the injury because he is a role player and if he doesn't, he is not in the league. I agree that we would all like to see Peterson play with more physicality especially as his coverage skills diminish, but to say he offers bare minimum effort is false.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a bit disingenuous. Peterson gives plenty of effort, but he picks and chooses when to throw his body around because he has always needed to consider that his team is better with him on the field vs separating his shoulder tackling a 230 lb RB. Gardeck has to throw his body around regardless of the injury because he is a role player and if he doesn't, he is not in the league. I agree that we would all like to see Peterson play with more physicality especially as his coverage skills diminish, but to say he offers bare minimum effort is false.
I just can’t buy this when I see Jalen Ramsey, Marlon Humphrey, & Tre White out there tackling like box safeties, man.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We don't have the best luck drafting corners. Every team always want more CBs and edge rushers no matter how any they have. They aren't easy to replace. Look how many we tried to sign already, even if they are retreads.
You could have left it as "We don't have the best luck drafting."

Look, Dre Kirkpatrick is giving up a 67% completion % to opposing QBs this year. Patrick Peterson is the same. Chidobe Owuzie for the Cowboys (who is a FA next year) is giving up a 60% comp %. Now, do I think Kirkpatrick and Owuzie are as good as Peterson? No, but Peterson costs 13 mil this year while Kirkpatrick costs 887k and Owuzie costs 1.3 mil. There isn't aa 11 mil difference in production IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just can’t buy this when I see Jalen Ramsey, Marlon Humphrey, & Tre White out there tackling like box safeties, man.
That is the Deion Sanders mindset. I agree with you that it is not guaranteed that he would get injured, but that is the mindset he plays with and it is fairly common with CBs. If he was 5'10 and 180 lbs I don't believe it would frustrate people as much. He plays his game like a small cover CB but I don't believe that means he gives minimal effort. It is more of doing things that he has not had to do over the course of his career and is not comfortable or natural doing it. That is why he looks so silly doing it IMO.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
total speculation on my part, but here goes:

he twisted his knee. enough pain to take a look in the locker room

likely had a MRI on tuesday, which likely showed no ligament damage (good!) --

obvs an ACL would have ended his season (and offseason)
an MCL would have been a 6-8 week injury, also ending his season

so, if he is a game time decision, likely some minor cartilage damage -- so its swollen and painful.

if no ligament damage, the swelling in the knee can be drained (via needle) and a local shot to limit pain. Better, a week off and he should be pretty good vs LA

likely a offseason scope to clean out floating stuff

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Look, Dre Kirkpatrick is giving up a 67% completion % to opposing QBs this year. Patrick Peterson is the same. Chidobe Owuzie for the Cowboys (who is a FA next year) is giving up a 60% comp %. Now, do I think Kirkpatrick and Owuzie are as good as Peterson? No, but Peterson costs 13 mil this year while Kirkpatrick costs 887k and Owuzie costs 1.3 mil. There isn't aa 11 mil difference in production IMO.

Absolutely, but that is a different thread.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like David Johnson had/has the same issue as Peterson. David Johnson plays like a back who is 205 and not 225. I don't feel like it is an issue of effort but more of mindset.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
You don't like the "Barbarian"?

I liked Gardeck the Destroyer better. That's what a buddy and myself have been calling him. I think I got that out of the game day thread when he got his first sack and dance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Another 1983 draft would be nice. That year we got Leonard Smith in the first round a pro bowl S, Cedrick Mack in 2nd round he played both CB and some Wr for us, was never as good as expected but played 8 years, started quite a bit, 20 career INT. Lionel Washington was our 3rd 4th round pick that year, became a starter 8 INT's as a rookie, 5 the next year, had some injuries only played 4 years for us but played 15 years. Wasn't as good as the 49ers getting Lott, Williamson and Wright in the same draft but getting 3 DB starters in one draft is pretty impressive.

was watching highlights of our win in the snow over Philly that year, Greer, Baker, Galloway, EJ Junior, the DB's that team should have been a title contender the next year but we cheaped out in the draft and blew the team up over drugs the following year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another 1983 draft would be nice. That year we got Leonard Smith in the first round a pro bowl S, Cedrick Mack in 2nd round he played both CB and some Wr for us, was never as good as expected but played 8 years, started quite a bit, 20 career INT. Lionel Washington was our 3rd 4th round pick that year, became a starter 8 INT's as a rookie, 5 the next year, had some injuries only played 4 years for us but played 15 years. Wasn't as good as the 49ers getting Lott, Williamson and Wright in the same draft but getting 3 DB starters in one draft is pretty impressive.

was watching highlights of our win in the snow over Philly that year, Greer, Baker, Galloway, EJ Junior, the DB's that team should have been a title contender the next year but we cheaped out in the draft and blew the team up over drugs the following year.
If Keim is smart, he will have the CB position lined out prior to the draft even if it is having 4 CBs rostered. If I look at the FA CB market, we will just need to become comfortable with names like...

Bashaud Breeland
Troy Hill
Kevin King
Chidobe Awuzie
Mike Hilton

...replacing Peterson because that is what the market is right now and I don't see better players getting cut.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Exactly. Plenty of CBs play with more physicality than P2. Much smaller ones too.

Maybe effort isn't the right word. P2 always wanted to do the "fun" stuff. He's not so interested in getting his hands dirty.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is the Deion Sanders mindset. I agree with you that it is not guaranteed that he would get injured, but that is the mindset he plays with and it is fairly common with CBs. If he was 5'10 and 180 lbs I don't believe it would frustrate people as much. He plays his game like a small cover CB but I don't believe that means he gives minimal effort. It is more of doing things that he has not had to do over the course of his career and is not comfortable or natural doing it. That is why he looks so silly doing it IMO.
But at least with Prime, he was unreal in coverage for a long time. You can’t say the same at all for Peterson.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
But at least with Prime, he was unreal in coverage for a long time. You can’t say the same at all for Peterson.

You also can't say that we would have ever reached a Super Bowl or had any success during the Warner/Palmer years if it was not for Peterson who pretty much did shutdown half the field for the defense

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the point is that what Kirkpatrick and Peterson are giving us are relatively cheap and easy to find in the offseason. You may not get a player as good as Peterson, but you are getting one who isn't far from his ability at half the price if not greater. Take that savings and apply it to a younger impact player or multiple players.

Chopper I hear you, but as soon as we get comfortable that's when we get murdered. Secondary play, much like O-Line play can lull you into a false sense of security. We've been bad enough at CB, that I don't ever want to go back to the Justin Bethel, Brandon Williams, etc level of personnel. This is where Keim has to earn his money this offseason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard